Foreign decorations worn by US military

Bluehawk

Assuming the usual margin for error in anything published by wikipedia, I stumbled across this fascinating list and illustrations for a bunch of medals/ribbons/etc given by other nations to our military, which may or may not be authorized for official wear - and am posting it with the idea that it may come in handy when people try to identify the oddball ribbon that shows up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorized_fo...States_military

Assuming the usual margin for error in anything published by wikipedia, I stumbled across this fascinating list and illustrations for a bunch of medals/ribbons/etc given by other nations to our military, which may or may not be authorized for official wear - and am posting it with the idea that it may come in handy when people try to identify the oddball ribbon that shows up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorized_fo...States_military

I could show quite a few of the common WW2 era foreign decorations on real US uniforms -- mostly GO's. I also have a few vietnam and later, but not many.

G

I could show quite a few of the common WW2 era foreign decorations on real US uniforms -- mostly GO's. I also have a few vietnam and later, but not many.

G

Hey,

Many WWII GO's and upper eschelon officers were combat officers in WWI and received foreign gallanty awards such as the British MC in that war.

Vic

I had no idea how many there were... but, from what little I read about those, each one offered has to be specifically authorized for wear case-by-case.

DSC x three, Mexican Border Service, French Croix de Guerre x 4, and I can't remember the other two.

Thanks, that helps.

Always wondered what the Mexican ribbon looked like... which one is it?

Thanks, that helps.

Always wondered what the Mexican ribbon looked like... which one is it?

BH

The Mexican Border is the green/gold one.When he was with the Iowa Guard on the Border

Also Siver Star x3

RON

Good to know, thanks.

It'd be nice to have such a list which did show all such previous 20th century awards... anyway, it's an interesting topic and may be a good reference for identifying unusual ribbons.

It should be pointed out that foreign decorations were often presented as a courtesy to the US, specifically to Pres Wilson when he visited after the war. My cousin's father-in-law was never in Belgium during the fighting, but he was still in France, recovering from wounds, when Wilson arrived for the peace conference. Maj Portman was presented the Order of Leopold by the Belgian gov't.

I am presently restoring a 4-star uniform -- he was a regimental CO and division, corps and armly level staff officer. He came home with decorations from Britain, France, Czechoslovakia, Brazil and Italy. Brazilian and Polish troops served under Fifth Army where he was, but there was never any direct association I can see with Czechoslovakia.

I suspect the selection process went like this. From the foreign commander or government to an American commander: "We want to recognize representatives of your army for their services. Please select X number of officers to receive Y decorations."

BTW -- I wonder if the "Italian" decoration of the 2nd Div DCS recipient's chest isn't the New York WW1 medal. The ribbon is similar. Was he from NY?

G

It should be pointed out that foreign decorations were often presented as a courtesy to the US, specifically to Pres Wilson when he visited after the war. My cousin's father-in-law was never in Belgium during the fighting, but he was still in France, recovering from wounds, when Wilson arrived for the peace conference. Maj Portman was presented the Order of Leopold by the Belgian gov't.

I am presently restoring a 4-star uniform -- he was a regimental CO and division, corps and armly level staff officer. He came home with decorations from Britain, France, Czechoslovakia, Brazil and Italy. Brazilian and Polish troops served under Fifth Army where he was, but there was never any direct association I can see with Czechoslovakia.

I suspect the selection process went like this. From the foreign commander or government to an American commander: "We want to recognize representatives of your army for their services. Please select X number of officers to receive Y decorations."

BTW -- I wonder if the "Italian" decoration of the 2nd Div DCS recipient's chest isn't the New York WW1 medal. The ribbon is similar. Was he from NY?

G

The New York State WW1 medal ribbon has a darker blue color, and the white (silver actually) stripes are closer to the edges. I agree that the last tunic ribbon is the Italian War Merit Cross (Croce al Merito di Guerra). It has a medium blue color with the white stripes closer to the center.

With regard to your relative's Czech award, didn't a Czech Legion fight in Italy in WW2 as well as in WW1??

The New York State WW1 medal ribbon has a darker blue color, and the white (silver actually) stripes are closer to the edges. I agree that the last tunic ribbon is the Italian War Merit Cross (Croce al Merito di Guerra). It has a medium blue color with the white stripes closer to the center.

With regard to your relative's Czech award, didn't a Czech Legion fight in Italy in WW2 as well as in WW1??

You may well be correct. I don't have a NY ribbon handy to compare. Nor was I aware of Czech troops in Italy. Thanx.

G

G

G,

MacNider was from Northern Iowa.Some time when I have a camera along I will ask to take a picture of his awards.They are on display in a small art museum.I dont get there real often its 80 miles away.

RON

By way of background on Hanford MacNider, he is one of only 15 recipients of three Dist. Service Crosses. He was awarded DSC #1365 with first OLC while serving as a Captain with the 9th Infantry, 2nd Division, AEF. His second OLC (3rd award) to his DSC was earned as Brig. General and CO of the Buna Task Force in New Guinea, November 1942. An article in the Winter 2005 issue of the Planchet Newsletter adds that 196 men received two DSCs, while only two men got four DSCs and two other men were awarded five DSCs. Eddie Rickenbacker received eight DSC's.

G,

MacNider was from Northern Iowa.Some time when I have a camera along I will ask to take a picture of his awards.They are on display in a small art museum.I dont get there real often its 80 miles away.

RON

No hurry. It seems my speculation has been answered.

G

Hey Guys,

I have several high ranking uniforms showing the decorations of foreign countries for WWI and/or WWII service. In addition, I have a medal grouping to a career medical officer who received several fairly rare Tunisian decorations for services in WWII. He also received the scarce Typhus Commission medal and a SSM/PH for his WWI service.

I believe these oficers needed official approval to wear the foreign decorations.

Vic

From what I have been able to determine, it did require orders to wear foriegn decorations. The French Croix de Guerre was commonly seen in WW1 -- the Italian War Cross also for troops like the 332nd Infantry who served in Italy. The French Legion of Honor was much oess common -- typically only to officers.

We need to differentiate between medals/citations and orders. The latter were actually knighthoods or higher noble titles of one level or another (Fancier ribbons with rosettes, swords, etc. indicate higher ranks.) It is my understanding that officers presented with foreign orders were allowed to wear the appropriate ribbon, but could not wear the accompanying sash, breast badge or medal until approved by an act of Congress! The US Constitution bans such knighthoods from foreign governments unless OK's by act of COngress. (THey were allowed wear of the ribbon so as to not insult the granting nation.

I have the paperwork for one of my GO uniforms from NARA which includes the paperwork for such approval. First, he had to send the medal(etc.) to the AG's Office. It would be held there until Congress acted, then it would be sent back for wear! He had a real rack of ribbons, and the stack of correspondence is over 1" thick!

G

I wonder if anyone is starting to see many foreign ribbons, along these lines, from the Vietnam era forward to this day?

Absolutely, my Dad was awarded 4 Vietnamese medals, beside the the standard Vietnam Campaign Medal. He received the Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star, Honor Medal 2nd Class, Technical Service Medal 2nd Class, and the Civic Actions Honor Medal 2nd Class. After Vietnam it would be a different story all-together. I don't think you see very many foreign medals/decorations after Vietnam at all, except all of the NATO medals.