M-1919 Direct Embroidered 1920s style pilot wings

hawk3370

Fan-tastic!! An object lesson in how to display thematically linked insignia. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just a question re the embroidered wings. They're obviously trimmed down to follow their contours from the rectangular backing cloths. I've tried this but inevitably the fabric begins to fray and does not look good enough to be of "uniform standard". On the other hand, if the edges of the rectangular piece are neatly folded over and pressed in place (in the manner of subdued cloth collar patches etc) the whole effect is somewhat neater. So, in the absence of photographic evidence, how were these wings meant to be worn....folded or cut...or any of the the above?!

Ian

Fan-tastic!! An object lesson in how to display thematically linked insignia. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just a question re the embroidered wings. They're obviously trimmed down to follow their contours from the rectangular backing cloths. I've tried this but inevitably the fabric begins to fray and does not look good enough to be of "uniform standard". On the other hand, if the edges of the rectangular piece are neatly folded over and pressed in place (in the manner of subdued cloth collar patches etc) the whole effect is somewhat neater. So, in the absence of photographic evidence, how were these wings meant to be worn....folded or cut...or any of the the above?!

Ian

Ian,

One seldom sees them actually being used, but in the few cases where I have seen them they went both ways. If trimmed and sewn they usually don't fray but I have seen them folded under and stitched around the edge before actually being sewn on the uniform. Mostly used on the OD or Tan shirts but I have seen a couple examples of the actual tunics with them applied.

Terry

Ian,

One seldom sees them actually being used, but in the few cases where I have seen them they went both ways. If trimmed and sewn they usually don't fray but I have seen them folded under and stitched around the edge before actually being sewn on the uniform. Mostly used on the OD or Tan shirts but I have seen a couple examples of the actual tunics with them applied.

Terry

Roger that...thanks! :thumbsup:

Ian

Terry: A few more examples of embroidered AAF insignia to continue the thread (no pun intended!!) You'll notice that some of the collar insignia is embroidered on an OD poplin backing...M-41 Field Jacket fabric. This is somewhat strange as such "brass" was never intended for wear on Field Jackets!

Ian

post-8022-1256988140.jpg post-8022-1256988155.jpg

Very nice! I really like the between the wars uniforms.

I have a wool M-1926 that belonged to (then) Capt Kenney but mine has metal wings and lapel insignia. I posted pictures of it here a year or so ago.

Back around Sep 12th. I posted pic of most of my collection in the Display forum. Listed under "My War Room" Hawk 33. Check it out and let me know if there are any items that you might like to see indivdually.

Terry

Humm well how about the trio of uniforms and wings in MY War Rooms post #9. Additionally the is a small display case that looks like a map drawer in the first photo you posted... I wonder what you might have hidden in there ;)

John

Humm well how about the trio of uniforms and wings in MY War Rooms post #9. Additionally the is a small display case that looks like a map drawer in the first photo you posted... I wonder what you might have hidden in there ;)

John

John,

Will try to get some closer pic of the three aviator uniforms. They are from left to right, Lt. Henry Clay 43rd Sqdn RFC, 41st and 48th US Squadrons 8 1/2 kills, Lt. Joseph Riable 147th 2 Kills, Lt. Bryon Bilderback 27th and Italy. The wings in the frames have been posted above with the exception of the 1913 Aviator and the bullion wings. Will shoot them as well. As for the storage case in the corner, it contains some US WW1 collar insignia of various branches, WW1 medals mostly german. Some WW2 german awards, flight badges and 1st mod luftwaffe dagger. Complete set of WW1 Navy Victory Medals with all bars that were issued and a drawer full of arrowheads that my wife gave me. Nothing much special in there. Will take a couple days to get the pic posted as we have some obligations over the next two days.

Terry

Super thanks Terry... as for the storage case I just wanted it to be loaded with more wings ;)

John

John,

Attached are some additional pic. They are not the best quality, my expertise in picture taking is lacking to say the least. First group are WW1 bullion wings, under each wing is the name of the pilot that wore them in 1918.

post-6022-1257378032.jpg

John,

Attached are some additional pic. They are not the best quality, my expertise in picture taking is lacking to say the least. First group are WW1 bullion wings, under each wing is the name of the pilot that wore them in 1918.

post-6022-1257378435.jpg

Lt Joseph Riable, 147th Aero Squadron DSC, 2 Kills

Lt Henry Clay 43rd Sq RFC, 148th US Aero Squadron and 41st Aero Squadron. 8 1/2 kills US DSC, Brit DFC, Victory Medal. Died of Flu in 1919 in France.

post-6022-1257378985.jpg

Lt Henry Clay 43rd Sq RFC, 148th US Aero Squadron and 41st Aero Squadron. 8 1/2 kills US DSC, Brit DFC, Victory Medal. Died of Flu in 1919 in France.

post-6022-1257379071.jpg

Last set of bullion wings

Thanks for posting all the goodies Terry. I think the Bilderbach wings in post #38 is very interesting design!

John

Thanks for the kind comments.

The Bilderbach wings on the tunic and his second pair in the frame were both made in Italy. Bilderbach trained at Foggia before being transferred to the 27th Aero. The wing in the frame still retains the "Piza" mfg tag on the back of the wing. I have a picture of him wearing that wing on another tunic during the war.

Terry

I have a picture of him wearing that wing on another tunic during the war.

Terry

Ok do not tease us you have to post the photo! I think the heavy shoulders upswep wings are very cool. One of a kind or something from that maker to set them appart? I guess each bullion wing is one of a kind being hand made... but you know what I mean.

John

Photo of Lt. Byron Bilderback 27th Aero. Appearently he prefered the open collar british style tunics. Notice the Italian made wings, and british made collar insignia. I make these little frames to go with each uniform I have displayed. i][/i]

post-6022-1257519423.jpg