Saints and Soldiers

ClaptonIsGod

I recently just watched "Saints and Soldiers" on Hulu. It is a great movie, and I truly recommend it as a must-watch. It follows a squad of several GIs, and a Atheist medic and a Morman sniper. They also hook up with a downed RAF pilot who holds key information about supply dumps. The film begins with the Malmedy massacre, and then it shows these few men surviving, and picking up a German rifle and fighting their way through France.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/32278/saints-and-soldiers

Yup, got that one in my collection, I bust it out every now and then. Also, When trumpets fade... is another one few know about that sees outside it's case atleast once a year.

I liked it alot too, some people critisized it but hey its an entertaining movie!!!...if you get the dvd, watch the extra stuff, they show the filming and special effects, if I remember correctly....they said they used instant potato flakes for snow and they bought out the entire supply at the local supermarket!!.... :thumbsup: ..mike

I enjoyed this movie - found it entertaining and I believe they used reenactors for much of the cast. We have it on DVD.

I agree with whoever brought up When Trumpets Fade. Haven't found it on DVD yet, though. My grandfather was in the 9th Div and was killed November 44 in the Huertgen Forest, so I found it particularly interesting.

Hey Guys,

My local Blockbuster had a copy of "Saints and Soldiers" and I rented it a year ago or so on a whim...I thought it was a great movie. I saw "When Trumpet Fade" on HBO a bunch of years back...again, another great movie.

Incidentaly, I picked up a DVD of "Trumpets" at Best Buy just after it became available.

Thanks,

Vic

I enjoyed this movie - found it entertaining and I believe they used reenactors for much of the cast. We have it on DVD.

I agree with whoever brought up When Trumpets Fade. Haven't found it on DVD yet, though. My grandfather was in the 9th Div and was killed November 44 in the Huertgen Forest, so I found it particularly interesting.

Lucky for you, it's only $5.99. I might even pick it up sometime.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1099088

I saw it in the theaters when it came out. Yeah, it’s slow and somewhat questionable on history (101st guys being at Malmedy, and the massacre being started by the GI’s? KFC?), but knowing how low the budget was, I think they did an incredible job. The credits are a hoot to watch, too. It’s a “who’s who” of re-enactor vendors at the end. When viewed in that context, I really liked it. Had it been a big-budget Hollywood movie, I wouldn’t have liked it quite so much, but still would have thought it was a good effort. I once read that the movie was funded by the Mormon church which would explain the messages throughout the film. I have no issues with that, because they at least tried to get everything as correct as they could. I sure couldn’t have made a better film!

The only thing about this movie that irritated me was the scores of poorly-done “independent” (read: no budget and poor script) films that came out of its success. Where they did well, the ones that followed didn’t do as well at all.

As for “When Trumpets Fade,” I have to part ways with some of you. Any similarities between that movie and anything that ever happened in WW2 were purely coincidental. I wouldn’t know where to start, horrible script (clearly written by someone with no concept of military life in any era), and a map that looks like something cut out of a history book (come ON, who marks positions permanently with the flags of the combatants on a map?). It’s only redeeming feature for me is a neat flame thrower scene, which even then is done like a ”Road Runner” cartoon.

Was it one of my favorites, no. But, I do like it. With a movie like that, low budget and all, you have to give it a thumbs up. Like willysmb44 said, it was a pretty good effort, and at least they tried

more than a lot of other movies to get things as close to right as they could.

Lucky 7th Armored

I watched this a few years ago, and i loved it. Sure some things might not be "correct" but i think it has a very good message throughout the movie. Also my dad just got Netflix and you can watch movies on the Xbox 360 and i saw Saints and Soldiers on the list and i watched it right before coming onto this topic, how ironic? haha

Haydn

• 4 weeks later...