LET'S SEE YOUR WWII U.S.M.C. IMPRESSIONS

MBMorley

justinwjolly
Hey guys,

Some more superb USMC impressions! justinwjolly, that's an impressive hoard of marines there, were you portraying a particular campaign?

Here's one more of me, from last month.

2nd Raider Battalion, during the Makin raid of August 1942:

post-5339-1278494484.jpg

Sorry it's so small, I was having trouble with re-sizing.

My uniform and equipment was as follows:

P41 dungarees

M1 FB helmet with burlap helmet cover camouflaged with dark OD paint

Pistol belt with M36 suspenders (favoured my raiders at Makin)

5 cell Thompson mag pouch with mags and rounds

P2 canteen cover and canteen

Collins Number 18 'Gung Ho' bowie knife

1918 dated grenade vest (the few photos that were taken during the raid, show marines wearing these)

M1928A1 Thompson sub-machine gun

'Rough out' hunting boots with sea-boot stockings (Carlson ordered a number of pairs of 'Raider boots' prior to Makin and were a dark brown leather hunting boot with steel toe-caps)

Enjoy!

Yeah for that event we were doing Raiders on Bougainville, and great looking picture yourself there as well.

-Justin

Corpsmancollector
Very impressive in every details Will!!!!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

Jerry, thanks!

Appreciate your comment and glad you liked it!

Jon,

Great photos. I particularly like the second one. Looks like a movie shot!

Thanks Will, I thought that when I first saw it!

fortworthgal
I know this is a bit late but here is a group photo from the event we had a few months back.

Nice shot, but where's "cooky?" :lol:

Oh, and just in case anyone's missed it - yes, that IS my smokin' hot husband on the WWII Impressions homepage:

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/ :bravo:

justinwjolly
Nice shot, but where's "cooky?" :lol:

Lol he was to busy cooking up that great chicken diner we had that night.

And lol yeah i saw that about a month back, I gave him a call and asked hey you know your on the front page of WWII Impressions right? lol he just laughed and said yep sure do.

-Justin

giconceptsjw

I've been doing USMC for a long time so I thought I'd post some of the recreations I've done over the years. Going through old pics I found quite a lot but I'll post only the best. Here are a few shots of when I went to Tarawa in November of 1993 fro the 50th. This is me on Red Beach 3 with a Japanese tank in the water behind me. It was 111 degrees that day.

post-5404-1279268440.jpg

giconceptsjw

This is me on the stairs of the Japanese command bunker on Tarawa, Betio Atoll 11/93. Keep in mind that back then, there was no USMC reproduction items available at all. It was all original or nothing.

post-5404-1279269360.jpg

giconceptsjw

Here is some of the extensive shell damage cause by US off shore naval gunnery directed at the previous bunker.

post-5404-1279269737.jpg

giconceptsjw

While I was there the locals were clearing away some of the trees for a building project. The site was right in front of a Japanese bunker so I tried to get some recreation action shots.

post-5404-1279269795.jpg

giconceptsjw

The USMC held a memorial ceremony on the island to observe the 50th anniversary. I was there for that and met the USMC FMF commanding general who presided over the event.

post-5404-1279270015.jpg

giconceptsjw

Here in the states I did a few Tarawa recreations for the books I published for Schiffer like this corpsman shot.

post-5404-1279270169.jpg

Corpsmancollector
This is me on the stairs of the Japanese command bunker on Tarawa, Betio Atoll 11/93. Keep in mind that back then, there was no USMC reproduction items available at all. It was all original or nothing.

Jeff,

Fantastic pictures! I especially like the one of Shibasaki's command bunker on Betio. I was at Jim Moran's place not long ago and saw the ammo can that he rescued from the same bunker (and could well have been on the same trip in '93) :thumbsup:

I'd still love to get out there, but it's looking like Guadalcanal for 2012 now :)

Thanks for sharing some great shots.

All the best,

Will

giconceptsjw
Jeff,

Fantastic pictures! I especially like the one of Shibasaki's command bunker on Betio. I was at Jim Moran's place not long ago and saw the ammo can that he rescued from the same bunker (and could well have been on the same trip in '93) :thumbsup:

I'd still love to get out there, but it's looking like Guadalcanal for 2012 now :)

Thanks for sharing some great shots.

All the best,

Will

Thanks Will. Yes, I was with Jim when he found the ammo can. I brought back a lot of relics too (back when you could still do that). I'll post some more pics from my trips to Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima and hopefully some of the better recreation stuff.

JW

giconceptsjw

I didn't get many good recreation shots on Saipan but here's one of me checking out a Japanese bunker on Tinian.

post-5404-1279343457.jpg

giconceptsjw

For those who've seen my books, you might recognize these. This is a recreation of camo mix typical in 1944 on Saipan, Tinian & Guam.

post-5404-1279343666.jpg