USMC airborne

Very nice my man !!!

owen

Much obliged, buddy! :thumbsup:

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A close-up of the lower pocket modifications on the 1st 'flage Jump Smock above; on one hand, I would have liked an unmolested Smock. But this tweak, to me at least, gives this Smock some character ;)

Was blessed with this piece around 1991 on a cash-and-trade deal with Paul "Sgt. Boghots" Walker and Perry Young from Medford, Oregon.

Thanks again, guys... :thumbsup:

post-3226-1259028786.jpg

A close-up of the lower pocket modifications on the 1st 'flage Jump Smock above; on one hand, I would have liked an unmolested Smock. But this tweak, to me at least, gives this Smock some character ;)

Was blessed with this piece around 1991 on a cash-and-trade deal with Paul "Sgt. Boghots" Walker and Perry Young from Medford, Oregon.

Thanks again, guys... :thumbsup:

post-3226-1259028786.jpg

Hi Jim,

I remember that unique smock, and that Perry & I did do some horse trading with you on it. I want to say we got some superb P41 utilities from you, but I'm not positive about that ?? - Was that the fall GW before the "riot show" maybe ?? - Afraid some of those shows run together in my mind. Part of that is due to age, and I'm afraid part of that is likely due to the "happy hour" I used to enjoy after the shows . . .

Best regards,

Paul

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

These are the boots that I have. They are marked USMC inside on the sole, but I really don't know what pattern or model they are.

post-61-1259040696.jpg

Hi Robin,

Do those boots appear to be factory black, after-the-fact black, or in fact, not black ?? :blink:

Looks like composition soles, and I don't know if those were still being used by Korea, or not.

Nice boots, Robin.

Best regards,

Paul

donation2009.gif

Those black boots are postwar. The majority that I have seen are dated in the 50's. I think the only real difference between those and WW2 boots is the color and the black boots have speed lace eyelets.

I had a pair of those one time, and started going spastic over them until I found the '50s date (not that this makes them worthless; I was just looking for W.W.IIs). They were a deep purplish brown color and all flesh-out leather, slant-heels and all.

Camopara, that Coat collection is, uuh...WOW... :w00t: :w00t:

Paul: If only we could obtain the background stories on all the stuff we come across (modifications, etc.); how could the G.I.s back then know that decades later, people would be going ape over their old stuff??

It was at the G.W. Christmas Show of 1990 that I first ran into you guys, and bought a primo pair of '44 'flage Trousers stamped "Paramount Pictures- Men's Wardrobe" from you on the spot. I needed them to match a large, mint '44 Coat that I had gotten recently. You had the Smock there, but I didn't have the dough right then. Price was $500.00- boy, does that sound cheap now!!!!

Your old "Paramount" pants are at the lower left in the pic below:

post-3226-1259077736.jpg

Very nice gentlemen!

Jim, some first class camo! I would expect no less from ya! :twothumbup:

Robin, those Reising pouches...Oh boy! And I take it all the mags are Reising too?

Here's a picture for reference of the bag camopara mentioned in an earlier post (for the Johnson LMG):

post-5339-1259183646.jpg

I can't make out what the reverse of the bag looks like. It seems there are suspender like straps underneath, do you think it was meant to be worn on the back? This is the only example I have seen or heard of, so if anyone has any other photos please do add...

Also a picture of a different type of scabbard for the parachutist knife, it looks like this one has a pattern engraved on the front...

post-5339-1259183691.jpg

And lastly, here is a rather terrible picture of some early PM boots:

post-5339-1259183731.jpg

You can get an idea of color and shape etc.

All the above images were taken from:

Nalty, Bernard C. (Ed.) War in the Pacific. From Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay. (1991) BCA. p.213

All the uniforms and equipment are attributed to the United States Marine Corps Air-Ground Museum.

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

While crusing the web, I came across this website:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/usmc-collector...ivers/shoes.htm

It has some good pictures of first and second type paramarine boots:

post-5339-1259187021.jpg

post-5339-1259187036.jpg

The images are not mine, I just thought I'd post them for reference. Hope that's ok...

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

Here's a picture for reference of the bag camopara mentioned in an earlier post (for the Johnson LMG):

I can't make out what the reverse of the bag looks like. It seems there are suspender like straps underneath, do you think it was meant to be worn on the back? This is the only example I have seen or heard of, so if anyone has any other photos please do add...

Hey Will, thanks for the outstanding contributions! :w00t:

From what I can see of the straps on the back of that Johnson Mag Bag, I'm willing to bet that those are torso or thigh straps, with a neck or shoulder strap at the top, similar in layout to the frontal Hand Grenade Vests. Just a guess...

More than happy to help guys. I stumbled across that paramarine page by doing a simple Google images search, amazing what turns up!

Here is a Johnson LMG in the West Point Museum, taken when I was there in June:

post-5339-1259231011.jpg

I'm just curious, but how much does a Johnson Rifle usually retail for in the states? I had the opportunity to buy one last weekend, but it was not cheap by anybody's standards! It had a mint condition bayonet too... :crying:

And since we've mentioned Johnson's!

Here is a video on YouTube that forum member 'mestre' posted in the firearms section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ71c2HV-ew...feature=related

I would have thought the LMG would have had more recoil and made a 'deeper' noise. It really does look like quite a nice weapon to fire!

This is the first edition Johnson LMG manual. It may shed some light on the design of the webgear and pouches. This original design seems to be mostly leather and intended for the original order to Europe but it may have influenced the later USMC design too.

post-5-1259451649.jpg

post-5-1259451659.jpg

post-5-1259451671.jpg

post-5-1259451683.jpg

post-5-1259451694.jpg

post-5-1259451706.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I thought I'd dig up this thread and add a few more pictures to stimulate discussion.

Did anyone see the repro Western paramarine knife on eBay a while back? I've managed to find some photos and it looked fairly convincing!

post-5339-1272273399.jpg

post-5339-1272273412.jpg

post-5339-1272273423.jpg

post-5339-1272273434.jpg

post-5339-1272273446.jpg

Has anyone got any nice paramarine items they might like to share? Sadly, I have none!