USMC airborne

Thank you very much for all your comments, dear colleagues!

I wanted to make sure what is this because it is hard to find precise and credible information on the paramarines' knife/knives. Sometimes they are presented as especially-designed for marine paras, sometimes as PX only knives. I do not know if it is coincidence, or not, but in the images of 1942 the W31 sheath is not so heavily riveted as in the photos of 1943?

Below 1942 photo can be seen from early phase of paramarines organization when even jump boots were not available yet for them. Nice knife can be seen with relatively smaller number of the rivets.

Best regards

Gregory

post-75-1258622395.jpg

post-75-1258622405.jpg

post-75-1258622414.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! What about this other style of boots? (not my water mark)

post-70-1258585614.jpg

They're some great photos GB! I love the one with the katana and Johnson LMG. Well spotted with the boots, I assume youre referring to the trooper on the left? Does anyone have any idea what boots he's wearing? There seems to be an extra section of leather on the lower section, just below the ankle.

Back to the topic of Greg's original question, Western paramarine knives certainly do command a lot of $! Has anyone seen one for sale in recent years?

I've just noticed there's an awful lot of M1C helmet's in the above photos! Not something you always see with paramarines.

Will

(I'll try and post pictures of my S14 Paramarine medical chest pack, as seen in post #24. Robin don't you have an S14 too?)

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

There was just a W31 last week on ebay. It went unsold and the asking price was $4500. They usually pop up on there once or twice a year. So they are out there if you are looking. I've seen both rivited and sewn sheath's for the W31. The majorty have all been tooled with a design, and they all have the Western type of snap.

If you collect paramarine, you gotta have pants and a knife!!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Here is one of my paramarine items, an S14 paratroop first aid pouch. The bottom half is almost complete and I'm still working on the top half.

post-5339-1258658798.jpg

post-5339-1258658811.jpg

post-5339-1258658834.jpg

Here is another thread, focused solely on this item:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...9248&hl=S14

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

They're some great photos GB! I love the one with the katana and Johnson LMG. Well spotted with the boots, I assume youre referring to the trooper on the left? Does anyone have any idea what boots he's wearing? There seems to be an extra section of leather on the lower section, just below the ankle.

Back to the topic of Greg's original question, Western paramarine knives certainly do command a lot of $! Has anyone seen one for sale in recent years?

I've just noticed there's an awful lot of M1C helmet's in the above photos! Not something you always see with paramarines.

Will

(I'll try and post pictures of my S14 Paramarine medical chest pack, as seen in post #24. Robin don't you have an S14 too?)

I noticed the boots as well.Look very much like a type of hunting boot offered by LL Bean and others.Im guessing something of comercial manufacture and/or private purchase.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

The very first boots of the PMs were literally ordered out of the Sears catalog. I would suspect that many of the paratroopers also bought their own. The 1st pattern issue boot kind of looked like army jump boots minus the toe cap, and then the second pattern that was produced in '42 being the 'extended' boondocker. With the 2nd pattern actually being produced relatively early in the war, the earlier boots are extremely rare!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Here's a couple of my 'guys'. One with the S14 and the other with the PM with his JSAR and paramarine HBTs.

A nosy question for you, C.P.: is the mannequin on the right rigged with the Parapants as well as the Coat? If so, that makes 5 of them I know to exist...

WHEW...Will, that is one heavy-duty layout; my compliments, buddy!! B)

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

'flageguy,

But of course! The pair on the mannequin can be seen in Mason's book Paramarine.

I have another pair in the closet that are unissued, I'm looking for an unissued shirt to go with them.

That's 6!!

LOL- I'm in kind of the same boat, only in the opposite direction: got a clean size 42 Coat that needs a pair of good-sized Parapants to keep it company... :crybaby:

post-3226-1258734093.jpg

Here's a couple of my 'guys'. One with the S14 and the other with the PM with his JSAR and paramarine HBTs.

r4.jpg

VERY nice camo! That's some lovely gear, nice work! :thumbsup:

May I ask, what is the bag slung over the trooper on the right? Rigger modfied Johnny ammo bag?

Will

Outstanding stuff, Camopara- thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

It's something of a mystery to me that these Trousers are so hard to come by; but then Tulkoff speculates that there were only around 3,000 Para Utility Suits made, as opposed to 30,000 of the '42 Suits, which are mighty scarce themselves. Also, when these suits went into the field, it was under the worst conditions- Tropical climate, surf, sand, mud, swamps, streams and rivers- with the pants getting the worst end of the deal.

Still, these, and other photos are evidence that they are nonetheless out there...

Very nice camopara! I've not seen too many pairs of the boots in my time, the only ones I can recollect were in Jim Moran's collection some time back when I visited him.

Yes, I too thought the Johnny ammo bags had dividers in them. I've got a picture knocking around somewhere, I'll try and post it later.

Thanks for the link GB! I've not had a chance to read it yet, but it looks very informative :thumbsup:

This is turning into quite the reference thread for PM items gents, keep it up!

Will

All right, Will, ya talked me into it... :evilgrin:

Below is a Smock I snagged at the last Great Western Show they had in Las Vegas. It appears to be an unfinished piece of work, as there are tailor's pencil layout marks at the cuffs and upper pocket flaps where dome-snap closures should have been. A vertical knife pouch can be seen on the outside of the lower left pocket...

post-3226-1259017053.jpg

Backside of Smock...

post-3226-1259018596.jpg

Smock frontal detail:

post-3226-1259018688.jpg

Lower front, with a better view of the knife pouch; not also difference in left and right pocket construction...

post-3226-1259018877.jpg

Here's the butt pocket- the guy (or gal??)put the very lower panel in backwards, with tan side out; this pocket is different than the standard 1st model camo Smock's butt pouch- more similar to the one on back of the Parapants...

post-3226-1259019023.jpg

Here is the first camouflage Jump Smock; the lower pockets were removed and sealed, with a single patch pocket installed at one side at a higher point than the originals:

post-3226-1259019216.jpg

Rear of the 1st 'flage Smock...

post-3226-1259019411.jpg

Got a nice example of the final production Smock as well, but Robin already has a great pic up of one, so that's that...