eBay 1st Div. Helmet

I'll tell you, for me, I always tried to collect the painted helmets because they told a better story: where the owner had served, under what conditions he had fought, etc. I'm a history teacher, and the painted lids gave a more complete picture. My students loved it when I brought one into class, especially if I could put a name with the helmet. Great lessons, absolutely made those kids think. But I'm just about out of the hobby now. Too many thieves trying to steal my money and also (and I'm sorry to offend some of you guys) too many reenactors who don't care enough about the integrity of a piece to mark it as a reproduction.

Bill

I agree with you. Items like that really make a collection and bring interest to others, and these guys just cheapen it.

There are some characteristics that call this into question such as the heavy rust staining on the inside of the helmet that does not appear to have been transferred to the liner as one would expect. I'd ask the seller for a complete photo of the exterior of the liner. Outside of that question, this one looks pretty good and only a hands on inspection would confirm the legitimacy of this helmet. However, it's a non-helmet issue that concerns me: the seller has a "WILL NOT ACCEPT RETURNS" policy. :think:

Bingo......! I was thinking the same thing..! Where's the corresponding stain on the outside of the liner...? Seller should do at least a 7 day return for this one. Chris

Yeah, what is the G O? I'm showing that the auction was ended and all bids cancelled? A purchaser or ebay perhaps? Would have to be Euro (no offense). Or perhaps they took a read of the forum, (or are on here?)

While this helmet was still listed, I emailed the seller explaining to him why there was so little interest in the helmet. I suggested that he take more detailed photos of both the pot and liner, and also that he seriously consider adding a return policy. Then the helmet was withdrawn. Today the seller emailed me saying that he was about to relist the helmet, with more photos, a better description, etc. Return policy? We'll see, but stay tuned.

Bill

Hey, it is back up and already out of sight! If it was truely ID'ed I could see the thousands. Without it you will never really know. It is a nice looker, but I still don't like a few things about it. Could still be one of those Italian fantastic reproductions!

Cheers,

Mike

A link to the relisted one? I can't find it

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1ST-DIVISION-HELMET-D-...=item53dd9d8635

Looks like he's added a 3 day inspection and lifetime guarantee. That seems to have satisfied many of the potential buyers as the opening bids are already over $1,800.00.

Can someone add photos of the helmet to this thread?

Sure! Btw, with 6 days left this will be a really wild bid!! Hope it's a good one!! Good luck to everyone bidding! :thumbsup:

95115120.jpg

21085858.jpg

60232257.jpg

60814520.jpg

58178113.jpg

Can someone add photos of the helmet to this thread?
Let me make a suggestion to all members of the forum. If you post something from eBay or another site and want thoughts on it, please take a few short minutes and put up a few pictures for furture reference. Once an auction is over it's only a short time before eBay drops the pictures and this thread becomes useless for any kind of reference. If you don't add the pictures, then someone else has to take time to do what you should have done in the first place

Honestly , this looks to me like a fair and honest helmet. Overall condition is well used.

Its above my budget for a helmet but it will go high.

just-a-good-ole-boy

I might be wrong, but after more and more of studying the pictures of this lid,I just dont feel good about it. The rust "bleed through" on the white disc on the steel pot just looks too artificial to me. Almost as though it was applied to the paint. I have looked over all of my lids with white paint and the bleed through just doesnt look nearly the same. Again I might be wrong about this lid, but that being said I will not be bidding on this one. I imagine it will go around the 4-5k range. It could very well be good, but I wouldnt be able to live with the doubts that go with that price tag.

Steve

I second Steve on this! Without being able to ID it, you will always wonder if it is real or not. After seeing some of the reproductions coming out of Europe lately, they are just as good as this one!! Darn, if this helmet could be ID'ed to the owner, I would have to say that it would be one of the rarest in any collection! Indiana Jones' father has been talking to me all night and day, "Indie? Indie?...Let it go! Let it go!" :)

Cheers,

Mike

Wow, I'm getting sea sick with all this up and down movement: I like it, I don't like it, It's real, It's fake, I think so, I don't think so... I need to find a different collecting interest that no one is faking yet... hey, how about 'Nam era web gear?! :o

FightenIrish35
Wow, I'm getting sea sick with all this up and down movement: I like it, I don't like it, It's real, It's fake, I think so, I don't think so... I need to find a different collecting interest that no one is faking yet... hey, how about 'Nam era web gear?! :o

lol :lol:

Lol thanks for the link Scott. I don't know fellows and fellowettes, i like it, but it's out of my price range at the moment. Not just 'out', i would have that money to spend, but, for that type of cash, you'd want a solid name with it aswell IMHO, otherwise, there's never really any way to tell where the helmet is from or has been. I also get what you mean Steve about the artificial look, i think it's just alot rougher than most, which may also hamper the price a bit

Corpsmancollector

Lol Bugme!

just-a-good-ole-boy

Geez!! did I say 4-5K????? Its up to $3800 already! A couple of people are really confident in this one!

Personally..I like it. Not going to go into the reasons why. If this was at an estate auction it would be mine...unless Steve was there anyway. LOL

But, being on ebay...there is no way. It is 100% impossible to ID.

Wade