WWII Torpedo Squadron 8 grouping MIDWAY

KASTAUFFER

Thanks for all the comments. :thumbsup: I truly do feel fortunate to be taking care of this grouping. I also want to thank fellow forum member Nic for giving me the opportunity to buy this group from him.

I will be adding more to this thread as get time to scan some more of the letters.

I also do suggest reading the book " A Dawn like Thunder" . Its a great read as other members have suggested.

Kurt

Great grouping Kurt!

We'll have to get together an compare my VT-8 log book with yours. Where yours ends with the Battle of Midway, mine continues on through Guadalcanal and beyond. I just wish I had more than just the log book and I haven't been able to find anymore information on Frank Carneiro.

Can anyone help with that?

<S>

How can one read those letters and not shed a tear for that brave young man and his family? So too for Ens. George Gay, the sole survivor from the Hornet Detachment of Torpedo 8. How he must have felt, knowing so many of his friends and fellow flight crews paid the ultimate price, yet he was spared...

Fantastic grouping... Amazing collection of correspondences from some amazing officers... Knox, Forrestal, and Gay.

Wayne

Kurt, Exceptional, museum quality Naval Aviation grouping. I have a Navy cross grouping from Coral Sea/Midway belonging to Cmdr. Jorgensen, i.e. Navy Cross Medal, 2 custom sewn ribbon bar groups including Navy Cross, 2 DFC's,Air Medals,etc,etc. rank insignia, shoulder boards, photos,etc. wings,misc. carrier related items. Historic material such as your grouping is top of the line and VERY RARE! You have an eye for quality and proves the point that knowledge and research is PARAMOUNT! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
Kurt, Exceptional, museum quality Naval Aviation grouping. I have a Navy cross grouping from Coral Sea/Midway belonging to Cmdr. Jorgensen, i.e. Navy Cross Medal, 2 custom sewn ribbon bar groups including Navy Cross, 2 DFC's,Air Medals,etc,etc. rank insignia, shoulder boards, photos,etc. wings,misc. carrier related items. Historic material such as your grouping is top of the line and VERY RARE! You have an eye for quality and proves the point that knowledge and research is PARAMOUNT! Thanks for sharing.

I would LOVE to see that group to Jorgensen !

Kurt

I got a chance to see a portion of Kurt's grouping last week in person and it is indeed a fantastic one. Lots of paperwork that gets you up close and personal with this Naval aviator from probably the most famous U.S. naval engagement of all time.

• 1 month later...
I got a chance to see a portion of Kurt's grouping last week in person and it is indeed a fantastic one. Lots of paperwork that gets you up close and personal with this Naval aviator from probably the most famous U.S. naval engagement of all time.

I have to thank Stony for selling me an additional VT-8 logbook he had in his collection too. I never thought I would own 2 of them. The other is to a gunner who flew up to the Battle of Midway, missed that action, but later saw combat with VT-8 at Guadalcanal. On one mission they had to ditch in the ocean and were rescued.

Kurt

Kurt,

I am simply speechless. The letters are so personal and so heartfelt on the part of Ens. Gay. I am just simply amazed at what is out there.

Thank you!

Gary

A truly amazing grouping. Thank you for sharing it with us. VT-8 did not stand a chance from the get go at Midway.

The only thing I own from a pilot that was at Midway is the flight helmet and MkII goggles from the pilot of one of the PBYs that spotted the Japanese fleet.

A truly amazing grouping. Thank you for sharing it with us. VT-8 did not stand a chance from the get go at Midway.

The only thing I own from a pilot that was at Midway is the flight helmet and MkII goggles from the pilot of one of the PBYs that spotted the Japanese fleet.

Cool !!

Who was your pilot !?! I have a fairly complete grouping to a PBY pilot who flew on this mission as well...just wondering if its the same guy !! In addition, my guy was an NAP.

Thanks !!

Vic

Cool !!

Who was your pilot !?! I have a fairly complete grouping to a PBY pilot who flew on this mission as well...just wondering if its the same guy !! In addition, my guy was an NAP.

Thanks !!

Vic

His name was James L. Smith he flew PBY's for the Black Cat Command in 1942. His co-pilot was Pete Maravich

who was Pistol Pete Maravich's father. Here is an interview he conducted shortly after the war:

(Kurt, I do not mean to hijack this thread. If it's any problems listing these here I can just send Vic a Personal message.)

JamesLSmith.jpg

JamesLSmith2.jpg

JamesLSmith3.jpg

And a pic of the helmet:

Elizabeth720.jpg

• 4 months later...
KASTAUFFER

I am bringing this back to the top in commemoration of the Battle of Midway.

Kurt

Thanks for sharing this collection. VT-8 was a unit of heroes. This made me remember when I was fortunate enough to meet (Ensign) Lieutenant Commander [George] Gay while he was signing books at at a Moffett Field NAS open house/air show. I was a teenager and was quite cognizant of his personal gallantry. I also met "Pappy" Boyington at the next table over. Boy, if I could only go back again and thank them both one more time for their service to our country....

Dave

• 2 years later...
devildog34

This is such a spectacularly preserved group. Fantastic history Kurt thank you for sharing it.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

KASTAUFFER

Thanks Guys, its a good time to bring this one back to the top for the 70th anniversary of the Midway battle.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...

Utterly fantastic! Can't believe I just stumbled upon this thread.

"A Dawn Like Thunder" was referenced. GREAT read! One of the

torpeckers mentioned was Gene Hansen who is retired in P'cola.

He was one of the guys left behind at Pearl when the VT-8 det

flew to Midway. They only had six bomb bay tanks, that's why

only six went and probably why Hansen survived. He also flew

from Guadalcanal and received two Navy Crosses, both "Black

Widow's.

I was privilidged to know Gay a bit and met Larsen some years

ago at a VT-8 reunion in P'cola. Most chilling story was from a

sailor who was sent into the ready room to retrieve something.

There were tears in his eyes as he described feeling the presence

of ghosts......whew!

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread today. An interesting side note is that I was on the USS Brannon twice as a Navy Reservist in 1953 and 1954. 1953 was for a weekend cruise to Ensenada, BC. and the 1954 cruise was to Portland, OR. I was a Radarman Striker in USNR Div.11-39 in Pasadena, CA. at the time. I was not aware of Ens.Brannon's service record prior to reading this thread. An excellent thread!

Chuck

Thought I would add my Torpedo 8 contribution to this great thread, although Kurt has already seen this piece. This flight jacket belonged to an original Torpedo 8 mechanic and back seater. He served aboard the Hornet during the Doolittle Raid, and was a member of the detachment left back in Norfolk under "Swede" Hansen to transition to the Avenger. Of course, this allowed him to avoid the fate that befell his squadron mates at Midway. His war was FAR from over though. He served w/ the squadron aboard Saratoga, and transferred with them to Guadalcanal. He was wounded in the ground defense of Henderson field, and submitted for the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his actions. This award was often used as a form of valorous award early in the war before the Bronze Star was created. Late in the war, he went to flight school and received his commission and wings. He served the rest of WWII and in to the early post war era as a scout plane pilot on the USS Iowa. The flight jacket was issued to him in 1944, and I believe the patch represents his float plane detachment aboard the USS Iowa. I bought this jacket from his daughter, and she provided we with a number of photos and other documentation about her Father. He is mentioned throughout the book "A Dawn Like Thunder". Interestingly, his daughter told me that the survivors of Torpedo 8 refused to accept personal awards for their service after Midway in honor of their fallen squadron mates. The only thing they accepted was the PUC. His PH and N&MC Medal are not part of his record, and his family was in the process of getting the Navy to award them when he passed away.

post-110-0-67166800-1385571162.jpg