WWII Torpedo Squadron 8 grouping MIDWAY

KASTAUFFER

The following letter really sums up who Charlie Brannon was. It was written by his Wife Dorothy ( Dottie ) to Charlies parents in 1948 . Reading this letter brings him to life.

b44.jpg

Charlie and Dottie

b28.jpg

There is more in this grouping I will post later to include letters he wrote in 1941-42 .

Some of the material in this group was destroyed in 1982 in the same house fire that tragically took the life of Charlie's father. From my understanding this included his medals.

Kurt

Kurt-

At first I was thinking, "too bad there's no PH and Navy Cross in the group." But then after reading all the letters - wow!, who cares about the medals! What you have is far more historically important than any medal group could be. And to think this is for one of the most famous actions of WW2.

An absolutely outstanding grouping!

Kurt

Kurt - What a wonderful & historic American Hero's group and story. Glad to know it's safe in your fine hands! Congrats................Bob

Appreciate all the feedback guys!

I left out this photo earlier. There is also an old photostatic copy of the Purple Heart certificate with the group. I have no idea where the original is.

PH.jpg

Kurt-

At first I was thinking, "too bad there's no PH and Navy Cross in the group." But then after reading all the letters - wow!, who cares about the medals! What you have is far more historically important than any medal group could be. And to think this is for one of the most famous actions of WW2.

An absolutely outstanding grouping!

Kurt

Kurt

You and I think alike. I had to look past the missing medals and am glad I did. Just having his uniform and flightlog was good enough for me.

The other Kurt

Hi Fantastic historical Grouping. It couldn't be in better hands. I just finished the book " A Dawn like Thunder" about torpedo squadron 8 These guys were so heroic. Great pickup Mark

Charlie Flick

Kurt:

I was just blown away reading this thread. The letter from Dottie to Brannon's parents was very touching, and a powerful reminder of the human cost of war. Like Mes above I, too, had read "A Dawn Like Thunder" several months ago and through that became "acquainted" with the members of Torpedo Eight. Your thread furthered that feeling and deepened my appreciation for all of those fine young Americans.

I know that these important bits of history are in good hands with you. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Like you said, "WOW"!! I love MIDWAY stuff and it don't turn up very often!! Congrats Kurt!!

Now your forcing me, I'll have to dig out my Marine Corps MIDWAY NAVY CROSS grouping and show it off!! :-)