1920s Meyer-marked wings? - modern restrike

Sabrejet

Gentlemen...your expert comments on these wings would be much appreciated. They have a really nice patina of age...not sure how well it'll come across digitally with the flash!? They are quite "heavy" and the feathering is very well defined. The pin also shows signs of being used. I have a fairly large wing collection which is mainly WW2 era but the pre-war period is a new departure for me. Thank you!

Sabrejet

post-8022-1255791898.jpg

post-8022-1255791928.jpg

Gentlemen...your expert comments on these wings would be much appreciated. They have a really nice patina of age...not sure how well it'll come across digitally with the flash!? They are quite "heavy" and the feathering is very well defined. The pin also shows signs of being used. I have a fairly large wing collection which is mainly WW2 era but the pre-war period is a new departure for me. Thank you!

Sabrejet

post-8022-1255791898.jpg

post-8022-1255791928.jpg

Sabrejet: I had one of those in my WWI collection several years ago. It's a WWI pattern and was worn by some Air Service pilots during the war. After the war, when the Army's wing pattern was changed, Meyer continued to make the wing and sold it on the civilian market. drmessimer

Sabrejet: I had one of those in my WWI collection several years ago. It's a WWI pattern and was worn by some Air Service pilots during the war. After the war, when the Army's wing pattern was changed, Meyer continued to make the wing and sold it on the civilian market. drmessimer

Hi..and thanks for the prompt response. So, it's impossible to date it precisely other than to say it's anytime between the 20s thru late 40s?

Sabrejet / Ian

Sabrejet

post-8022-1255791898.jpg

post-8022-1255791928.jpg

Sabrejet,

NS Meyer did in fact restrike the 1918 style wing in the 20's and 30's for sale in the PX, however they did not use this simple hook catch. This catch showed up on restrikes in the 1970's. I suspect that someone has picked up one of these 70's-80's period restikes and added a US to it. This is not a 1918 period wing.

Terry

Sabrejet,

NS Meyer did in fact restrike the 1918 style wing in the 20's and 30's for sale in the PX, however they did not use this simple hook catch. This catch showed up on restrikes in the 1970's. I suspect that someone has picked up one of these 70's-80's period restikes and added a US to it. This is not a 1918 period wing.

Terry

No? That's a shame! Never mind.. I can live with that. It's a pretty wing which looks fine among the others in my collection. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Ian

No? That's a shame! Never mind.. I can live with that. It's a pretty wing which looks fine among the others in my collection. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Ian

I agree, that's a very pretty wing.

Pete