Things you have kicked yourself over

jdmyprez_deo_vindice

jdmyprez_deo_vindice

Just interested to hear about the the things you guys have passed up in the past and have kicked yourself every since for not buying when you had the chance. Am also interested in hearing about those items you bought that you now regret.

For me, I have several items I passed up over the years that I now kick myself for. I once passed up a German trench mace for $50, a CW (union) ammo cart for $500, a cased german luger that I could have had for $350 but I was saving for a 7th NY militia uniform jacket that I later got a steal on and could have easily had both and several other smaller items.

Earlier today I was cleaning out a box of odds and ends and came across a TR knife that I bought several years ago for $275 that even at the time I was telling myself not to do because it did not seem right. Well my gut feeling was right and it turned out to be a fantasy item made in the 70's by a company in Richmond,VA so I just kept it as a reminder to follow my gut feeling. My head was telling me not to do it even at the time but that instinct to buy just overwhelmed my common sense that day. So what are your stories?

When I was in 11th grade my Grandfather used to bring me to the local military store by his house which was run by an elderly lady. She had many items not for sale that she displayed, and when she passed I had the opportunity to buy everything, only catch was I needed 1500.00 - A lot for a 16 year old. After thinking about it for a week after I left Florida, I called back only to find out the place had been sold. I Immediatly called my grandfather and he went to the store to cover my "bill" only to find that some low life had came in telling the new owners he was me and took over 1200 patches, 50 helmet liners and many uniforms from WWI-Vietnam with full menu boards. Needless to say I should have asked my grandfather for that early christmas present on the spot the first time.

Now I rarely pass anything up if I have the funds

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

I passed on a Doolittle Raider's DFC, with the full citation engraved on the reverse. I had already spent 3 month's pay that weekend and just couldn't stretch enough for the DFC. Kicked myself for a number of years until I discovered that the piece was an extremely well-done fake. Then I kicked myself for not knowing enough in the first place, but not nearly as hard.

There's been more than one kicking experience for me, but the first that comes to mind was only about 8 months ago; I was selling at a gun show and the guy right behind me had an eight-foot long rifle on his table. It turned out to be one of those oversize training models and this one was a BAR. He had the magazine, two "rounds" that chambered, and it was in excellent condition. My brain just wasn't in the right gear and I watched him sell it for $650.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bang my head against the wall (again).... :pinch: :disgust:

No reason there can't be a second installment of this topic. I've only had 2 items I've kicked myself over. One was a vehicle license plate from the Sampson USN training station, where my grandfather was trained. I couldn't see spending $50 on it when I was younger and poorer but I've really regretted it. The second was a dog tag made out of transparent airplane cockpit material. It sold on ebay for a low price but I wasn't able to get to a computer to put in a winning bid.

Mine was a few years ago on ebay. It was WWII enlisted AAC uniform that the seller purchased from a storage unit sale. It was Id'ed to a Native American who was listed in nara as a POW. I totally forgot about the auction :pinch: and believe it ended around $80.00 :crying:

I was offered a german 20 mm, automatic FLAK gun, complete with all it's tools and additional equipment, for 300 dollars. I was living at home with my parents at the time, and my mother did not like the idea of having an anti aircraft gun in the garage. Needless to say, a gun like that cost a lot more than 300 dollars today. :crying:

Stig

Oh my, where to start? But if I were to name one thing, it would be a book. That book being a 1st edition of Abandon Ship, the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. It was signed by every member of the crew who attended the first reunion they held in 1960. This included an inscription and signature of the Indy's captain, Charles B. McVay. Those of you familiar with the story of the Indianapolis are already lining up to kick me, and that's okay. :crying: The book was a lousy $60 and I have no excuses.

As far as buying things I wish I hadn't, isn't that why they invented selling on ebay? ;)

I don't kick myself so much over something I didn't buy as something(s) that I sold. Going into grad school wiped out my weapons collection, jungle workshop VC rifles with capture papers, broomhandle mausers, M1911, etc. Grad school also cost me a beautiful VN ranger grouping that I am still looking to buy back (see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hl=co\.+l).

Oh. there is one thing that I do kick myself over not buying. It was a fixed bail helmet and liner, ID'd to a local doctor. The helmet had been repainted at the end of the war and a sloppy oak leaf had been painted on. The dealer wanted $80.00 for it. I wasn't sure about buying it because I didn't want to have to decide if I was going to strip it down to it's original paint or not. Well, I went back a couple of days later and it was gone. It showed up on eBay shortly after and the new owner had noticed something that I didn't. Under the new paint job, you could make out the red cross panels! For $80.00 and a little bit of elbow grease, I could have had an ID'd medic's helmet with markings!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice

Wow you guys have passed up some great stuff over the years and I suddenly do not feel as bad about myself lol

Very interesting stories guys!

Well my "kick myself" is not a militaria item. Does that count?

I collect some late 19th and early 20th century pottery and to make the story short, at a church's mission sale earlier this year I bought about $2K worth of stuff for $60. Mix of old and new stuff - salt-glazed crocks, yellowware bowls, pudding basins, English ironstone... I even got 2 complete sets (about 14 bowls) of Mason Cash bowls - they run about $30-$90 per bowl. Well, I passed up a bunch of blue pieces - mostly spongeware and spatterware - as I don't collect anything blue, even though I could have gotten them for a song. Thinking about it over a week I realized my err. We went back the following weekend when the sale was open again, and of course some other lucky #$*(#*$# had bought everything.

A friend of ours always says, "You'd better get it, or it'll be gone." Soooo true!

You snooze, you loose............far to many in 30+ years.....................what the heck, its only "stuff"....how many times have we been at a show, walking around trolling, see an interesting item and think.....I'll come back and get it............an hour or so later it's gone.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I missed buying a brand new preban POLYTEC LEGEND AK47 with all milled receiver and fixed wood stock for around $489 - $500

I passed because I wanted the one with an underfolder stock

the next gun show they were banned from the show and banned in CA

but I have no regrets , because they are banned and I wouldnt want to own a banned gun or register it

no regrets

I kick myself for not being born earlier. ;) What I wouldn't do to be able to sit down and talk with my grandfather about his experiences in WWII. He died in 1986 when I was 9 years old. It wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago that I actually found out what he did and got his photo album from the war.

vostoktrading
I kick myself for not being born earlier. ;) What I wouldn't do to be able to sit down and talk with my grandfather about his experiences in WWII. He died in 1986 when I was 9 years old. It wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago that I actually found out what he did and got his photo album from the war.

Actually, what you said here really hits the mark. Aside from missing out on killer deals through all fault of my own (as we all have done), my biggest regret is not talking to my dad more about his experiences as a navy QM on the USS Watts during WW2. That's not to say I didn't talk to him at length, just that I wish I had done so more. Life experiences of a loved one are irreplaceble and once they are gone so is a bit of history of your family to pass down to the next generation.

Regrets not buying: -- Croix de Guerre and certificate named to my great-great uncle in WWI. SNIPED with 2 seconds left on the auction, and given the rare circumstances and my repeated contact with the seller, I wish she'd haev accepted my rather generous offer but it'll turn up again some day I hope. Next, a USMC HBT Camo Top and Bottom for $150 at a gun show -- (he wouldn't take $135 for it so I passed!)...that's about all I can think of really -- like the others -- that one experience really stung me in terms of collecting, and if I'm broke, I don't go to shows / flea markets. If I have money, and see something I want...gotta snag it when you can

Regret Buying: Several hundred Army, Navy, and Air Corps uniforms -- they are great pieces, but it was a massive detour from my USMC collection, and now a collosal headache to move out of the way whenever I make a new marine display.

teufelhunde.ret

For not having the foresight to have continued collecting EGA's when I found my first few vintage types in the late 60's....

The one item that came into my surplus store that, in hindsight, I regret not purchasing was a Gerber Mark II presentation knife presented by the then Sec. of Defense Melvin Laird to a few select participants of the Son Tay raid. The owner quoted a price knowing there was no way I could ever afford such an item in 1980, but, in retrospect, might have been a bargain unrecognized by either of us.

• 2 weeks later...
Tommymonkey192

I was at a show once with a friend of mine, now deceased, who used to sell military books. One of the other sellers at the show was blowing out all these books and among them was a copy of Sherman: History of the American Medium Tank by R.P. Hunnicutt (minus the dustjacket) for only $25! However, my friend had a quicker eye than me, snapped it up and put $60 on it. I was about to tell my friend that if he still had the book I would be interested. But sad to say, another dealer bought it and priced it at $300. Believe me, I would have gladly bought the book from my friend for $60!

A few years before at another show the same dealer was asking $400 for a copy of Sherman (with the dustjacket). I thought I could do better so that night when I came home I did a search on eBay and there was only one copy listed at the time and guess who the seller was???? :(

As an aside, I also collect Hot Wheels and once at the Great Western Show (of all places!) somebody had this vintage redliner in mint condition for $18. I was going to come back the next day and pick it up but of course it was gone. That particular redliner is worth $400!

And BOLO, I find a certain irony that an airsoft AK-47 can cost just as much as the real thing did before it was banned.