? About USMC Aviator Jackets

el taco grande

el taco grande

Would a Marine Aviator wear a G-1 jacket? I don't mean as a novelty, I'm sure anybody could wear a jacket like that, but would a Marine get a G-1 and have his Marine Aviator nameplate on it with any Marine aviation patches on it?

And if so, does anybody have a Marine Aviator jacket in their collection? Thanks.

Would a Marine Aviator wear a G-1 jacket? I don't mean as a novelty, I'm sure anybody could wear a jacket like that, but would a Marine get a G-1 and have his Marine Aviator nameplate on it with any Marine aviation patches on it?

And if so, does anybody have a Marine Aviator jacket in their collection? Thanks.

Marine pilots are Naval Aviators so they wear the G-1.

Here's one currently listed on ebay:

usmcfj1.jpg

We have some Marine Corps pilots as forum members and maybe one of them could post of photo of current usage. I find G-1's in thrift stores every so often but in all cases the patches have been removed so it's impossible to tell who wore it.

Officer and Enlisted Marine Aviators/Aircrew are issued leather G-1 jackets. It is a record book entry that you received your jacket. One of the things they didn't ask for back when you leave the corps if you were in aviation was your leather jacket. I was issued mine in November 1988. It is a 1972 DSA contract jacket by Ralph Edwards (I think label is faded) and it is a 48R, and very heavy!

The leather jacket issue was such a big deal that records branch up at HQMC would track and ensure Marine Aviators were getting their jackets. How do I know that.....I work with the retired LtCol that wrote the Marine Corps Order on leather flying jackets as lifetime issue for Offices and Enlisted aircrew.

I had my paraloft rigger sew on my velcro nameplate, and I had my squadron patch sewn on the right chest. I wore it all the time.

I will post a picture of mine.

r/Gy Dan

Oh, and unless something has changed the WEP is no longer authorized for wear. Only the CWU-36P, and the CWU-45P, summer weight, winter weight respectably.

r/Gunny