Incredible WWI “Mine Squadron One” Photo Album!

siege1863

I am going to guess the battleship in #5 is a Kaiser class ship....all scuttled at the flow. The cruiser is to hard to figure for me. ike the enhanced scans of the US officers as well. Really enjoying looking at the album.

A few more scanned at a higher resolution and in grayscale...

Thanks - it is just very hard to find detailed images of sailors at work aboard ships, especially from that long ago. Typically you may find some snapshots of a guy and his buddies off-duty or you see the sanitized official photos where everyone seemingly got dressed up just for the pictures. These ones though are revealing candids of real life in the Navy.

Although not very exciting, these two images are certainly quite rare. In January 1919, the night after the last mines had been unloaded from the ship at Hampton Roads, there was a fire aboard the SARANAC. It was reported that the fire spread so rapidly the sleeping officers had to make their escape in their night clothes, losing all effects. The men in the engine room were barely able to attend the pumps without suffocation. The photos appear to be of the officers quarters.

post-211-1255653210.jpg

I am going to guess the battleship in #5 is a Kaiser class ship....all scuttled at the flow. The cruiser is to hard to figure for me. ike the enhanced scans of the US officers as well. Really enjoying looking at the album.

Agreed. To avoid contradictionary info, In a prior post I named them as Koening class - my mistake. On second look they are indeed Kaiser Class. (The cranes give it away) I stand by the Koeningsberg class light cruiser though. ;)

What an amazing find! The pictures of sailors working are amazing! Great for studying. Thank You for posting these pictures. I will be looking at all the fine details in them for awhile!

Andrew

USS Saranac related. I believe this to be a picture of the photo album owner's division. Couple of the same men in it for sure. Taken from the book " The Northern Barrage, Mine Force United States Atlantic Fleet"
Notice tht the Petty Officer standing on the far left of the photo is wearing the (by then) obsoleet blue flannel pull over work shirt? This was introduced in 1913 and replaced by the undress blue jumper in 1917. Another example of Sauilors continueing to use stuff even though it is no longer with in regs.

Steve Hesson

A goodie!

post-211-1255649328.jpg

In this photo, the Sailors on the extream left is wearing an undress blue jumper with 3/4 length sleeves over the obsoleet blue flannel work shirt. The next two Sailors on the gun crew are wearing the blue denim dungarees. Great shots of Sailors in real uniforms.

Steve Hesson

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Although not very exciting, these two images are certainly quite rare. In January 1919, the night after the last mines had been unloaded from the ship at Hampton Roads, there was a fire aboard the SARANAC. It was reported that the fire spread so rapidly the sleeping officers had to make their escape in their night clothes, losing all effects. The men in the engine room were barely able to attend the pumps without suffocation. The photos appear to be of the officers quarters.

attachicon.gifFireDamagex.jpg

More on the fire of 1/17/19-

post-18406-0-41461100-1536430116_thumb.jpg