Making a WWII emergency water can.

Pmuranyi

Hi all! I seem not to be able to find a WWII emergency water can ration for the 592 pilots survival kit. Other survival packs use them as well. I want to reproduce the can but don't know what the name of the can is. Or, what kind of can is it? Does anyone have info on where I can buy one(or a few), of these can so i can paint and print the proper lettering on it? It will be a big undertaking but I can do it. No joke intended...........

Thanks Paul

post-7107-1255558245.jpg

Hi ! I found out some info that I thought I would share with other forum members. After lengthy Internet hunts, I finally found what these cans are called. They are called oblong "F" cans. They are sold in bulk and are widely available on the net. Just one problem.........

The ounce size. These cans come in 1/2 Pints, Pints and Gallons. I measure the amount of water that goes into the WWII ration can and it looks like about 14 oz.

So, the 1/2 Pint is to small(8oz), and the Pint(16oz), is to big. Maybe to cut the can down but now we are getting into a messy and prolonged project.

If any one knows of a service that can cut the cans down and reattach(No No I'm serious..), let me know. Or, A specialty company that may have a midrange 14 oz "F" can(s).

This can be done because a did talk to a man at the Reading air show this year and he showed me a can he recreated. It was perfect. I just for my life cant remember his name or company.

Well, back to the net i go!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Caio

Paul

You could probably go to the grocery store and find a product sold in a can that is similar to that. What about spam?

Hi Ho! I looked through the market and my local hardware store. Also home depot and the like. These cans are a one off. Nothing is exactly right. Very frustrating. Some cans are close but still to far away for a spot on match. i really want to produce these little buggers right down to the last detail. I could vacuum form them but that too is a long road to follow to reproduce them. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!

Paul"Can any one remind me why I got into this so called hobby again?"M ;)

I have an empty some place.I found it in my brotherinlaws garage.Seems that it had been relabled as something else.It has a paper label over it.I saw the grey paint and sure enough it was a can for water or dye marker.Will have to see if I can find it.I also found a round can still full of water for a $1 at a flea market a couple years back.

Have you tried Bells Aviation or Garcias Aviation?Both are dealers of aviation items,repo and original.

RON

I have an empty some place.I found it in my brotherinlaws garage.Seems that it had been relabled as something else.It has a paper label over it.I saw the grey paint and sure enough it was a can for water or dye marker.Will have to see if I can find it.I also found a round can still full of water for a $1 at a flea market a couple years back.

Have you tried Bells Aviation or Garcias Aviation?Both are dealers of aviation items,repo and original.

If you want to sell, I'll take it! The round pieces or the majority of, are post war water cans. Oh yeah I tried bells aviation, garciaaviation, militaryitems , stan wolcott, Ebay, warrelics, baystatemilitaria and westland.nl to name just a few. Either I get a "No we don't have because they are rare" or no answer at all.

They are one of the hardest things to find out of my entire collection. Thanks for the help and keep mo posted!

Paul