Oneida LTD 1943 M1 bayonet

skohler

Here is a pic of the catch with the OL stamp. So, would this likely be an early production M1 even with regard to the OL dated bayonets?? Would this likely make it a little more uncommon?

Thanks!

Steve

Used the wrong word, I guess the guard and not the catch is marked OL.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to rehash an older thread (I should have asked months ago when I first posted), but anyone know how many of these were made? In trying to do some online research, I came across a number of around 20k. Does this sound right? Not sure of the total M1 production number but I would think it would be quite a few. I'm thinking if not many of these were made, the number might not be real easy to deduce.

Thanks!

The 20,000 was my ESTIMATE based on very limited contract information. Since then I have found other information that would indicate this estimate to be quite a bit low - one of these days I have to update the Bayonet Points article.

Current information would indicate a possible number closer to 75,000 total although that could easily be off by 10-15% as the Oneida contracts were terminated early. That still makes the Oneida M1 the least common of the M1 bayonets.

As far as the dated version, there is no hard information to base a number on. As a GUESS, less than 5% of their total, and possibly less. Probably the 1943 dated OL was produced in numbers of less than 5,000 and more likely less than 4,000.

All of the 1943 dated makers of the M1 are scarce. I have yet to see an AFH dated M1, the UFH versions were almost all made using M1905 blanks which resemble cut downs except the fuller gets much narrower near the tip. The OL, UC and PAL are all scarce and usually bring a fairly high premium over similar condition undated ones.

Thanks for the update on the new info. I was thinking the 20k was for the dated OL m1's, if that number is actually 4-5k, that is evern better.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Wow I guess I really lucked into this bayonet. It is a little rough looking but I didn't pay much for it, and I like the been there done it look anyway.

081.jpg

094.jpg

What do you guys think??

A few more M1 bayonets including dated OL cut down and not cut down, UC and dated AFH 16 inch bayonet.

Top one is afh 16 inch, next is OL cutdown, OL not cutdown, OL cut down pal-mod and last is UC not cut down

post-967-1274327458.jpg

post-967-1274327615.jpg

finally close up of UC

The afh originally came with the older 1910 canvas covered scabbard but I am using it with a 16 inch SA bayonet

post-967-1274328205.jpg

• 6 years later...

I read this thread with much interest as I was lucky enough to stumble upon an ONEIDA LTD M1 bayonet today at a collector's fair. Paid 90 euros, which is about USD $ 100,= . So, considering this thread is a couple of years old, I did a good deal. Was looking for an M1 bayonet and knew what to look for in general, but is was only after I bought it that I learned of the scarcety of this particular producer. Thanks to the excellent reference in this thread and Bayonetman's superbly documented website! Will try to post a couple of pics.