5th Marine Brigade patch

Doughboy1918

I picked up this unusual patch and have a couple questions about it. I have the book "USMC Uniforms & Equipment 1941-45" and found this written about this patch:

"The manufacture of this patch was down (due?) to a mistake in the interpretation of a picture published in the Decenber 1944 Headquarters Bulletin, The patch was identified under the heading '1918 AEF, 5th Marine Brigade.' wearing the patch was forbidden, except perhaps by the veterans of that unit."

The patch pictured is somewhat different than mine in construction. The wings in the book have droopy wings and these are straight. And also the embroidering is different.

Is this a WW2 patch, or is a WW1 patch? why was it forbidden? Is it an uncommon one to find? Thanks.

post-58-1255525506.jpg

Can anyone help with this? I am re-doing a couple of my displays and need to know which era to place it in.Thanks.

Schnicklfritz

The patch is a Stokes-Kirk made patch made for veterans of the Marine 5th Brigade. Not a wartime made patch, but in the 20's or 30's I believe. The 5th Brigade did not see combat action, but they were in the AEF. They provided troops for such things as combat casuality replacements to the 4th Brigade, guard duties at ports and POW camps and other non-combat duties.