A "potpourri" of EGA discussions

teufelhunde.ret

1st Sgt CES

Hello everyone--got this over the weekend & never have seen one of these before. Does anyone know time period or maker ? It is copper in color, screw back, no rope on anchor, it is a collar piece and one leg is longer than the other on the Eagle. Please feel free to comment on this. Blue Skies 1st Sgt CES

post-6716-1311262164.jpg

post-6716-1311262173.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
post-13436-1313089720.jpgThese are purported to be 1920 Meyer collar egas. Note the right insignia eagle is facing the wrong way. Any help confirming whether these are originals?

post-13436-1313089698.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hello Rock and welcome aboard, better late than never to the party. Very interesting pair, cannot recall seeing a set of these with the eagle reveresed... seen many but not on these variety.

Indeed these are a known Meyer pattern (Meyer Metal) from the 20's... and can be seen, in various ways, all the way to Korea in clutchback. Here is a thread to the ref.sec. 'bout 2/3 thru a pair can be seen w/ the 20's hallmark:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=25885

• 2 months later...
I don't know what this is but I saw one exactly like this on a beat up campaign cover at a flea market it California. The dealer let me take the EGA off of the campaign cover and it was marked D22 which is the post 60s era hallmark for the Denmark Company. The dealer thought it was a WW1 campaign cover.

Great to know that we have such knowledgeable collectors in our group to save us from our potential mistakes !!!!! thanks, so.mostyank

• 2 years later...

Hello all:

I have a good knowledge of EGA's... but this one is kind of stumping me, because I can't find another one to compare it to. It's just marked "Bronze" on the back... no maker name or "Fire Bronze". Has an officer style. Very well made with nice detail. Is is earlier than a M37? I tend to think it is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

post-144600-0-93469700-1398277942.jpg

post-144600-0-53705300-1398277944.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to add this one to the reference section and Darrell suggested I might post it here first as there might be some varying points of view.

There are several older reference threads relating to this 1892 pattern EGA, this one being the most appropriate IMO: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9168-1892-shoulder-boardkepi-emblems/

My question is, was there ever any real concensus on the authenticity of these so-called Bannerman restrikes?

This one measures 40.0 mm high by 41.0 mm wide and only weighs 4.1 grams. It is bright and shiny but the details are sharp and the emblem is die struck, though I honestly don't know if its fabrication is nickel plated brass or some other white metal.

The two, single prongs, are attached with solder and that solder appears to be a dull darker grey but, I haven't really looped it to see if it shows any age cracks. They appear to be made from the same material as the EGA and the ends are angle cut, though its not easy to see in my photos.

There are telltale signs of that "excess flash" between the upper and lower anchor flukes and globe. The upper was merely a sliver coming off the globe that I bent down (and broke off :rolleyes: ) not realizing it might actually supposed to be there. The lower flash is still quite evident and is separated from the globe.

Thoughts?

Tim

post-50776-0-34153200-1399413229.jpg

• 5 months later...

KREW and 362. I have a gold tone set of hat and collar screwback EGA's. The large hat device is marked "KREW" on the back of a wing. The two collar devices are marked on the wing "362". Is the "362" a KREW number or what? These look new so I believe they are recent? Thanks.

teufelhunde.ret

362 represents the manufactures approval / ID granted to Officers Equipment Company - they are a reseller of insignia and goods manufactured by others

Though I have a pair of collar EGA's marked 'OFFICERS', which I assume to be OEC...these WWII/KW collar emblems and 1980s-90s marksmanship badges (marked OEC) are the only OEC marked insignias I've seen to date

362 represents the manufactures approval / ID granted to Officers Equipment Company - they are a reseller of insignia and goods manufactured by others

Thank you.

teufelhunde.ret

Though I have a pair of collar EGA's marked 'OFFICERS', which I assume to be OEC...these WWII/KW collar emblems....

Could very well be of that era...? May also be a dual hallmark thing, we've seen so often, esp in the period leading up to approval numbers.... Alpha/numeric designations. As has been said here before, all these unique modern day emblems will become collectables to those in the future who follow us. At least they will have something to build on. BTW, have announcement to make later this week re forthcoming book... s/f

. BTW, have announcement to make later this week re forthcoming book... s/f

You are teasing us again, STOP IT!............Ok Keep going.