A "potpourri" of EGA discussions

teufelhunde.ret

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what this is but I saw one exactly like this on a beat up campaign cover at a flea market it California. The dealer let me take the EGA off of the campaign cover and it was marked D22 which is the post 60s era hallmark for the Denmark Company. The dealer thought it was a WW1 campaign cover.

teufelhunde.ret

STRANGE! the only thought to come to mind, DI cover - 1st Bn...? Certainly not something authorized :dunno:

• 2 months later...

Greetings all,

I'm curious how to best bring back the luster of some M37 Officer emblems in my collection? Perusing the shelves of my local PX, I noticed that Brasso cautions against use on silver and plated items. Have any of you used something on your emblems with success? They are a beautiful set, but I'm wondering if I should just let "sleeping eagles lie".....

Secondly, thanks so much to all of you for your continued support, expertise, and use of this wonderful site. We truly have a gem of a forum going!

Semper,

Ski

teufelhunde.ret

Ski, The first thing to remember is that gold and silver both are porous, meaning any type of abrasive can cause damage. Pastes, baking soda, and the like can make jewelry shine, when done over period time, will result in irreversible effects. A little white vinegar diluted with water or warm soapy water is the best home cleaning supplies that you have. Soak your jewelry in this solution for about 15 minutes; gently scrub with a soft, clean toothbrush, then rinse in warm water. Air dry on an absorbent paper towel. When thoroughly dry, you may lightly buff with a soft flannel cloth. for tougher staining you can use a mix of warm water and window cleaner. Silver is notorious for dulling, going black and brown at the edges. This is caused by exposure to the air which shows in the copper content that existed in sterling silver, oxidizing on the surface. You can also buy some good jewelry cleaner from your local jewelry store. A good commercial cleaner for stains on gold or silver is Tarnex or Goddard's Silver Dip. Never use bleach to clean your emblems as bleach causes precious metal to break down. If you have any questions on care of your precious jewelry contact your local jewelry store, most will clean your emblems for a small fee and will have a cleaner that you can purchase for a reasonable price. s/f Darrell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I stated Pre 1962 pattern, because that is about the time that the Marine Corps switched to the Current style EGA and that is about the time these were made. These came with a group of Marine Officers uniforms. They were not on the uniform, but were in the thrift store at the same time. I got a call from some one who keeps an eye out for me. I also got his blues, mess dress, dress whites and dress white tux. I also obtained a group of rank insignia (Lt – LtCol), a few post 62 Officers EGAs, and loose buttons (No medals or ribbons).

Back to the EGAs…. These are Officer 1937 pattern (Some say this pattern came out as early as 1926).

The date on the inside of his blues was 1959. This would indicate that he was commissioned near that time and bought the rest of his mandatory uniform items including his EGAs at that time. Most of the WWII era ones that I have seen have some type of gold content or sterling content marked on them these didn't. They both had 223 stamped on them.

Another point of reference for a great area of collecting.

Semper Fi,

John

post-5056-1263022493.jpg

post-5056-1263022505.jpg

post-5056-1263022511.jpg

post-5056-1263022535.jpg

Is there a book coming in the near future on EG&A's? I hope so.If anyone knows of someone let me know so I can give them anything they need.Because we all know, nobody has seen everything.Maybe we can all not be stuck-up and share.If you care about EG&A's as much as I do, we can grow.God Bless.

Is there a book coming in the near future on EG&A's? I hope so.If anyone knows of someone let me know so I can give them anything they need.Because we all know, nobody has seen everything.Maybe we can all not be stuck-up and share.If you care about EG&A's as much as I do, we can grow.God Bless.

One of our forum members had some involvement with one in the works, but that's been quite a while and I don't know if it's still proceeding.

The book is still in the works. I have provided some info as well including metal composition of EGAs per USMC Spec. Extensive work to every minute detail to threading on posts.

Maybe we can all not be stuck-up and share.If you care about EG&A's as much as I do, we can grow.God Bless.

Ok.....uh, where do I start with that comment? I dont think anyone is "stuck-up" on the forum, and the forum is already sharing knowledge and opinions. Bobgee's and Belleauwood's material could fill a couple reference books.

To answer your initial question, a long time admirer of EGAs has been working on a two volume set for many years. I think his reasearch started over 20 years ago. He planned to have Vol 1 done last year, however there has been much new material surface within that time, and I think he was in a car accident that delayed the editing. I have contributed some material, as well as many non forum people that I know (there is a substantial network of EGA collectors outside of the forum).

Fred has shared some great opinions and knowledge on EGAs that I am sure will be highly discussed here on the forum when his reference finally hits. His research has been a lifetime of study and although everyone is in suspense, I am sure that he wants to make it as complete and accurate as possible. His research is detailed as Alec has stated, down to exact sizes, material, and weight. He has databased known makes and cross referenced with photographs and years of use. I believe he has tracked the market over this time as well and may be including a relative idea of scarcity of certain pieces.

I've been out of the EGA loop for a bit while over here in Iraq, I will drop Fred a note and ask if has an ETA.

Mike

ALCON,

I went through old some correspondence I had with Fred last year before I went native in Iraq. Vol 1 will cover 1804-WW1, Volume 2 will cover WW1-modern, and he plans a Volume 3 that will encompass his research of scarcity and I think possibly value based off of recent market sales. You guys will be impressed with his level of qualitative and quantitative research, I dont want to let any of his cats out of the bag, but I feel his works will revolutionize your hobby and the way you collect and think of the EGA.

Mike

ALCON,

I went through old some correspondence I had with Fred last year before I went native in Iraq. Vol 1 will cover 1804-WW1, Volume 2 will cover WW1-modern, and he plans a Volume 3 that will encompass his research of scarcity and I think possibly value based off of recent market sales. You guys will be impressed with his level of qualitative and quantitative research, I dont want to let any of his cats out of the bag, but I feel his works will revolutionize your hobby and the way you collect and think of the EGA.

Mike

Thanks for the update, Mike. I too, have contributed to Fred's work on several different occasions over a 15-year span. Have heard several "announcements" of forthcoming publication......but alas, nothing! Frankly I have grown concerned that we will ever see this USMC EGA reference in print. I hope I am wrong, but................................ :think:

To EGA-GOD let's see some stuff from your collection! ;)

Semper Fi......Bobgee