ww2 helmet chin straps

Is your strap too short maybe? They do adjust out but I only buckle mine in the back if they appear to have been left that way for a while.

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

sometimes they would unstitch the shorter strap near the hooked end to extend the strap a couple more inches so it would be long enough to go over the back of the helmet.

Fixed bail more often seem to be the ones that won't connect. Think though that in general it was just a Mfg variance? :think:

Looking for for 37th Division

VietNam and earlier Special Forces &

USS Hemminger DE 746 items

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

See my FB sales page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1928884587130681/pending/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I believe the early production helmets used a shorter chin strap arrangement.I can check but I believe my 3 fixed bail helmets with hawley liners all are short strapped as well as some of the others with fixed bail.I picked up a swivel bail front seamed helmet last summer with USMC camo cover and the straps can be buckled on this helmet.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Thanks for you replies

also If the helmet liner moves around inside my steel shell is it that my liner is too used or the early helmets were a little bigger

for instance my liner doesnt really stick inside my shell

anyone have this problem?

There were two types of M1 fix bail helmets. The early type 1 helmet was a little larger inside and the hawley liner fit these all the way down. If you have the later "plastic" liner, you can tell if it is the first type because the liner will sink below the rim all the way around and will fall out with ease because the liner was made for the 2nd type M1 fix bail, which was smaller to the inside (A hawley inside the second type will not go all the way in!). The 1st type is the one that the chin straps do not buckle in the back. I have several. I'm not sure that all of them were this way however.

Cheers,

Mike

There were two types of M1 fix bail helmets. The early type 1 helmet was a little larger inside and the hawley liner fit these all the way down. If you have the later "plastic" liner, you can tell if it is the first type because the liner will sink below the rim all the way around and will fall out with ease because the liner was made for the 2nd type M1 fix bail, which was smaller to the inside (A hawley inside the second type will not go all the way in!). The 1st type is the one that the chin straps do not buckle in the back. I have several. I'm not sure that all of them were this way however.

Interesting info Mike, do you know from which lot they started making the 2nd fixed bail variation? :think:

Hi All;

I believe the early production helmets used a shorter chin strap arrangement.I can check but I believe my 3 fixed bail helmets with hawley liners all are short strapped as well as some of the others with fixed bail.I picked up a swivel bail front seamed helmet last summer with USMC camo cover and the straps can be buckled on this helmet.

Out of interest, I've just measured the straps on an early (Brass Hardware) and late (Blackened Steel Hardware) fixed-bail helmets.

The early one still contains it's Hawley liner, and it is not possible to put the straps round the back of the helmet.

The later fixed-bail would have had a composite liner, and it is possible to put the straps around the back of this, although there is a 'technique' which involves hooking the two ends together first, then feeding the complete strap over the rear edge of the helmet, starting from one side, and ending at the other, in the manner of replacing a bicycle tyre.

Early Fixed-bail: Short (J hook) strap: 4.0 Inches (10.2cm), Long strap: 9 1/2 Inches (24.2cm)

Late Fixed-bail : Short (J hook) strap: 4 1/2 Inches (11.4cm), Long strap: 10 1/2 Inches (26.7cm)

The Short strap is measured from the bail to the end of the webbing (the J hook being the same distance from the end of the strap on both helmets).

The Long strap is fully extended, and measured from the bail to the start of the metal adjuster.

I initially thought that this 1 1/2 inch total variation was down to manufacturer variation, or straps stretching with use, but I'm now more convinced it's a feature of early production helmets.

Best Regards,

Prof