WWII 36th Infantry Major's Uniform - She's a goodie!

FW12

Evening!

Just got this one, thought I might show it here before I sold it. Nice thick clutchback ribbons (with the smooth clutches and the outlines when removed). Interesting that the ruptured duck is on the uniform, but not uncommon. NS Meyer Infantry Insignia with a nice patina. Of course, the best part is the 36th Infantry patch! Enjoy the photos!

Beau

post-88-1179970943.jpg

post-88-1179971049.jpg

craig_pickrall

Beau, do you have any idea why a infantry major that was overseas 2 years and took part in 4 campaigns does not have a CIB? Is there any sign one was on the uniform?

Not all officers who's basic branch is Infantry serve as Line Infantry officers. Especially as a major he could have been a staff officer serving at Division Headquarters never making contact with the enemy. He also could have been in an even higher Headquarters and only transferred to the 36 ID towards the end of his service.

CNY Militaria

Nice uniform! I saw that one on ebay as well. I agree that not all infantry officers rated a CIB while in theater.

craig_pickrall

What I was looking for with the CIB question is that he opted for the Bronze Star in lieu of the CIB. I know this offer was made to most long time infantry vets. About 1947 those that took the BS offer also received the right to the CIB. He does have a purple heart so it seems he was somewhat close to shots fired in anger unless of course it was one of those nasty cuts from a C Rat can. He must not have had any post war NG time or he probably would have had both the BS and CIB. Of course then the ruptured duck wouldn't be there if that was the case.

IIRC the Bronze Star was awarded to anyone with a CIB from WWII, I did not know of any "opt for one or the other" option was available. The Bronze Star does not have to be given for combat action against an enemy, it can be given for merit. And the purple heart could be from a wound from mortar or artillary fire, which would not be sufficient enough to have been awarded the CIB.

Craig, I couldn't see that any CIB had been attached, and if there had been, it was removed quite some time ago. Good discussion!

craig_pickrall

I had a cousin that was a INF LT in the ETO but I'm not sure what unit he was in and it is to late to ask him. He took the Broze Star rather than the CIB. I don't remember now if it had the V or not.

• 4 weeks later...