WEP jacket

1A291E

I would like to know what the"WEP" in WEP jacket stands for? I believe they were issued back in the very late 60's and early 70's and were worn by Navy and Marine Corps. pilots.

I hope someone out there can answer my question...it's been nagging me for years!!

I have seen a few originals sold on ebay for huge bucks and I bought one from the "Cockpit Shop" in Seattle years ago. I know they used the same jacket on Stargate SG-1 for all 10 seasons, but those were made in house after the 1st episode in season 1..they realized the nylon shell made way to much noise when the actors moved around. The 2 hr. pilot and 1st episode used jackets from Alpha Ind.

...this of course..is totally useless info!!...

1A291E

I believe the "WEP" is short from "BUWEPS", which was from US Navy Bureau of Weapons. Which was the procuring command for flight clothing and a myriad of other things. Used to be BuAER. bureau of Aeronautics.

BuOrd - USN Bureau of Ordnance. The Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography was established on 31 August 1842 and changed to the Bureau of Ordnance (BuOrd) on 5 July 1862. The Bureau of Ordnance was abolished on 18 August 1959 when its functions were transferred to the Bureau of Naval Weapons (BuWeps). BuWeps was replaced by Naval Ordnance Systems Command which was established on 1 May 1966. This command and the Naval Ship Systems Command were combined to become the Naval Sea Systems Command which was established on 1 July 1974.

Now we have Naval Air Systems Command, or NAVAIR for the procurement of aviation related material.

hope this sort of helps. the Navy and Marines are not as easy when it comes to naming conventions. The "WEPS" jacket came in the the USN/USMC in 1950 as the J-WFS, Jacket, Winter Flying Suit, and was matched with the T-WFS, Trousers , Winter Flying Suit. both procured by BUAER & BUWEP.

In 1960, the jacket was renamed to Jacket-Suits, Flying Winter MIL-S-18342 C (WEP) (Weapons). All of these jackets and trousers were to be worn under the "poopy suit", but fighter pilots being fighter pilots they became very popular as out wear flight jackets in the 60's - all the way to the late 80's.

Mostly "stiff wing" Pilots wore them, the Helicopter guys rarely saw them in the late 70's and into the 80's. by that time we were getting issued the CWU-45P J-CWFS, Jacket Cold Weather Flyers System. as well as the CWU-36 (Summer weight) and a issued turtle neck and matching long johns could be worn. if you were on cruise, either a Gator Freighter (LPH, LHA, LHD) or a Big Carrier, you could get away with wearing your flight deck jersey under your flight suit instead of the white turtle neck, red, blue, brown, green yellow, etc.

Anyways the "WEPS" jackets were not designed as outer jackets and wore out fairly quickly. "WEPS" pretty much came from the tag and the Pilots/Aircrew called them this.

The 1950's MIL SPEC was

MIL-S-18342

MIL-S-18342A

1960's:

MIL-S-18342B

MIL-S-18342C

They were produced under the last MIL-SPEC into the late 70's.

Hope this helps.

r/Gy Dan

Thank you Dan...you have indeed answered my question. After all these years I now know all about the jacket I have had for at least 16 years. My jacket is not an original GI issue, but it has stood the test of time very well, I just wish the "Cockpit Shop" was still around..they made top quality jackets!!

Thanks again Dan...I tip my hat to you!!

1A291E...aka Steve

Steve,

Glad I could help. I too miss that store. Growing up in Seattle there were lots of neat surplus shops downtown along 1st ave, and I got my first L-2B at one of those old surplus shops. The after market WEPS are very good condition. Gibson and Barnes make a very nice one for around $179.00 (maybe more or less).

Of course the Buzz Rickson jackets a"FIRST" quality jackets, but first quality in money too. $400 - $650.00 dollars, and they only come in a size up to 44R. but they are made to "EXACT" MIL-SPEC. I get the "Real McCoys & Buzz Rickson" catalogs every year and their prices just keep going up. But, they are the number one reproduction producers of these and other USAF Flight gear.

Anys glad to help.

r/Gunny Dan

Hi Dan,

Do you remember the full scale P-15 that was hanging inside Cockpit shop?? I wonder what ever happened to it?? I do recall the surplus stores along 1st Ave....ah yes..the good old days when you could buy a nice and complete WWII M1 Helmet for $50.00...I still have one I bought back then...now it's worth big bucks!! Thanks again for your help and the info on the other makers of WEP Jackets...i'll look into them and maybe get another to add to the two I already have. The Cockpit Shop jacket is as I first recieved it and still is in great condition, the other is one of those early Stargate Alpha jackets and I now use it as my Military Vehicle "Club" jacket, with patches from the MVPA USA, WCMVHS B.C. Canada, MVCG England.

To bad you moved back East...I would have liked to buy you a cold one!!

Thanks a bunch again.

1A291E...aka...Steve

I know they used the same jacket on Stargate SG-1 for all 10 seasons, but those were made in house after the 1st episode in season 1..they realized the nylon shell made way to much noise when the actors moved around. The 2 hr. pilot and 1st episode used jackets from Alpha Ind.

I'm not so sure those leather ones were US issue: there are a bunch of those on ebay and the labels all look like civilian labels with elements of miltary labels thrown in.

Here is a label from a nylon official-issue jacket:

weplabel.jpg

Now here's one from a so-called Vietnam-era leather WEP - very clearly a civilian label with some elements of the official issue label used in it:

wepleatherlabel.jpg

And here's one of the official issue nylon jackets - and, again, I think this was the only style issued:

wepjacket.jpg

Here's another label with WEPS in it, a 1965 issue flight suit:

weplabel.jpg

These jackets were probably called "WEPs" because the other common Navy flight jacket was the leather G-1 flight jacket which had spec numbers ending in AER instead of WEP, such as MIL-J-7823(AER)

fs8017b.jpg

Nope...but I just learned they do make a civi WEP in leather...nice jacket...I just might have to look into getting one of those as well!!

This forum is the BEST!!! Thanks a ton guys!!

1A291E..aka..Steve..from the Great White North eh!!

I don't think we were ever talking about Leather WEPS ever being issued. they are pure "after market"

r/DRH

Yes but they are being sold - for lots of money - as military issue, as in the example above, so we need to include mention them for others who come across this thread when searching for info on WEP jackets.

From that guy over seas......his stuff is outrageous. But, I see your point he is saying it is a "Issue WEP G-8". Clearly anyone can see it is not.

Leather G-8 NEVER issued. Never MIL-SPEC'd. After market all the way. Yes they are nice, but not GI Issue.

r/Dan

From that guy over seas......his stuff is outrageous. But, I see your point he is saying it is a "Issue WEP G-8". Clearly anyone can see it is not.

Leather G-8 NEVER issued. Never MIL-SPEC'd. After market all the way. Yes they are nice, but not GI Issue.

r/Dan

Agreed,

Just like the leather M65 field jackets that on the market and there was a version of a leather M42 jump jacket being made a few years back.They were for sale by the Cockpit and the Cav store.

RD

• 5 years later...
jetranger407

Reviving this old thread... Anyone have a picture or seen an image of a 'WEP' jacket in the context of a complete display around here? I've been trying to find one for reference to understand what else was standard to the Winter / Flying "configuration"... Can't seem to find anything anywhere... [head scratching]

• 3 years later...