WWII Army Flight Nurse Wings

Mr.Jerry

Does any one know if the "Meyer Re strikes" have also kicked out the silver flight Nurse Wings with the enameled "N"

I have found a set I believe to be real, but I am bit paranoid given the Meyer markings.

Thanks,

Jerry

I don't have them (yet)

But regardless of these wings,

the question still exists- did the Meyer restrikes include the flight nurse?

I have not seen any, but I am not a wing expert.

If they did, the value of these wings (even if real) is affected.

I believe that all the Meyer dies were purchased by Alan Beckman out of Chicago years ago. I haven't actually seen a Flight Nurse restrike ( wrong pin etc.) but I would assume that he has stuck them all at one time. Anyone know for sure??

I don't know if Beckman made the restrikes but there are DEFINITELY Meyer restrikes out there. The great majority do not have the enamelled "N" on them but the newer restrikes of them that I've seen have a poorly enamelled "N". They got the brown color wrong. Most of these have the crappy pin on the back but some of the newer fakes also have the stop pin. In other words, they are out there.

• 1 month later...

Well It took a while, but I bit the bullet as it were. I think they are good.

I traced the lineage of the uniform, and although it is not named, I trust the source.

Any thoughts?

anw_1.jpg

anw_2.jpg

Well It took a while, but I bit the bullet as it were. I think they are good.

I traced the lineage of the uniform, and although it is not named, I trust the source.

Any thoughts?

Jerry, I think your wings are authentic WWII vintage. Generally, with Meyer's made two inch wings, I look for raised, instead of incised lettering; a raised hallmark shield; and a pin which opens approximately 45 to 80 degrees. I'm no expert, but Brad's comparison wing does not offer any of those features; the color of the enamel "N" on his wing is not correct (as described by Bob Schwartz above); and the patina on the front appears to be artificially applied.

Russ

Yes a two inch was made by Alan but mostly with black enameled "N" but he did make them in other colors. Yours is real and a key are the findings on the back. Yours are silver soldered and the restrikes are welded. Also on yours the joint has a rivet head on one side, not used in the restrikes.

But brad k's wing looks like a restrike. Would need a better photo of the clasp solder area. The Meyer hallmark on this one is one that was restruck a lot.

well good news for jerry and bad news for me, I got mine at least 10 years ago and was a little suspicious when the dealer was realy eager to sell them to me, at least I don't think I paid a crazy price for them. sorry to jump in but thanks.

Thanks Guys & sorry Brad.

It happens to all of us. ( anyone who says they have never got a stinker is either lying to you or to themselves...)

I traced the lineage of this piece back to a collector I know, he's a lucky "out of the woodwork" kind of guy, so I was pretty happy when I heard it came from him.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us all learn something!