Find of my life!

sgtwamp

Here is the box full of stuff that I still have to go through, ie. letters home, Yank magazines and Stars and Stripes still rolled up. Tourist maps of where he was stationed, etc.

post-2638-1255312475.jpg

And a quick shot of his Koran War shirt.

post-2638-1255312521.jpg

One quick note, his 82nd patch on his Ike jacket isn't attached on one side. Should I try to re-sew it or leave as is?

If you do decide to re-sew it I'd advize you to get hold of some WW2 period o/d thread. A good source is WW2 G.I. issue "Housewife" sewing-kits. They can still be found out there today and usually contain several reels of o/d and khaki cotton plus a few spare buttons etc. Very useful for sympathetic restoration. (Incredible find by the way. I'm not at all envious!! ;) )

One quick note, his 82nd patch on his Ike jacket isn't attached on one side. Should I try to re-sew it or leave as is?

If the patch isn't about to fall off, I would leave it alone!!

-Ski

VE Edition of the 82nd Airborne "All American" Paraglide four unread crisp copies.

post-2638-1255395537.jpg

Volume 1, Number 1 of the Glider Diary 7 June 1945

I found two unread issues so far

post-2638-1255395548.jpg

Here are a few of his Yank Magazines, there are about a dozen of them so far, there are a few rolled up and tied up still in the mail wrapper and unread

post-2638-1255395579.jpg

Last pictures for tonight.

C Co 325th Glider Infantry

post-2638-1255398393.jpg

Rolled up roster on back.

post-2638-1255398473.jpg

Retreat ceremony Camp Clairborne, La

post-2638-1255398538.jpg

post-2638-1255398553.jpg

Inset picture with Sgt York, MG Bradley, and MG Ridgeway (laughing looking down far left)

post-2638-1255398648.jpg

Brian Dentino

An UNREAL find! This grouping would be the crown jewel of anyone's collection that is into AB stuff....especially a glider rider. I may be able to help you find out some more about him by putting you in touch with a couple of vets that are friends of mine...including his CO, Capt. Wayne Pierce-C Co. - 325th GIR during WWII.

PM me if you are interested.

Congrats on the score again!

"Let's Go!"

An UNREAL find! This grouping would be the crown jewel of anyone's collection that is into AB stuff....especially a glider rider. I may be able to help you find out some more about him by putting you in touch with a couple of vets that are friends of mine...including his CO, Capt. Wayne Pierce-C Co. - 325th GIR during WWII.

PM me if you are interested.

Congrats on the score again!

"Let's Go!"

As I delve more into Grovers stuff I'm finding items that refer to him being in the 325th's service company. I havn't found a DD214 yet but I have found some S2 reports. Maybe he started in C company and moved to service? I'll have to read some of the names on the back of the picture. If there is anybody you want me to look for let me know.

chris

Airborne-Hunter

Thats a great ABN find, if you find a picture of him wearing the 325th glider patch, let me know. I would be interested in seeing it. Also what patch is that on the left sleeve on the khaki shirt, opposite the 82nd? Thanks ABN

The Khaki shirt has 8th Army on the left side, 82nd is on as his combat patch. He was recalled for the Korean War. I have some of his packets from 82nd Associaton Reunions for 1950, 1952-1956. So it looks like he was only called up for a year. Only one picture so far, and it's of a group of soldiers from different units on pass in Paris when I get a chance I'll post it. There's a couple Airborne guys, 2nd ID, some Brits, and Armored troopers.

A little update before I go to bed...found some Dutch money with signatures on one of them. 7-8 signatures front and back. Dutch names.

(...) unfortunately his Bronze Star was with the rest of his stuff.

The family kept some items ?

This is a fantastic grouping ! The glider badget with two combat star is awesome. The cheese cloth flags, I have never seen some loose and in such a minty condition !

Congrats ! :bravo:

The family kept some items ?

This is a fantastic grouping ! The glider badget with two combat star is awesome. The cheese cloth flags, I have never seen some loose and in such a minty condition !

Congrats ! :bravo:

I don't know where the Bronze Star is at, this was everything that they could find. He supposedly brought back a Luger and that's missing too. I've found some shipping notes that he had typed out when he sent packages home. Missing are "Fascist Flag, Nazi belt buckle" I don't know if he gave these away or what. I've also found two of the cheesecloth/gause flags that have been used and that are absolutely filthy. One was in a letter for his mother (V mail) and he wanted her to have it as a souvenier. When I get a chance I'll post the flag and letter, there is so much stuff here that I haven't gone through yet and I have the feeling it's going to take weeks.

chris

Here are some more items, sorry it's taken so long to post.

Somebody sent Cpl Schinbeckler a Buddy Book for his basic training.

post-2638-1256157513.jpg

post-2638-1256157519.jpg