Our Italian Faker friend, is at it again

This guy isn't just a good faker, or a really good faker. He is simply THE BEST without question. Remember from a month or so back, the thread with his lids, both german and US, both BIG price items? Well a couple of name changes later and he is still cranking them out. You could clearly see where he purchased the original helmets to paint up. It's things like these that have almost made me 100 percent certain, i'm getting out of the helmet game. Buyer Beware, these are just too good. Scary SCARY good

http://cgi.ebay.fr/M1-Helmet-Liner-WWII-90...id=p3911.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=290336936270

Not a whinge, or moan thread, just a simple heads up, be very careful, once these are out into the market, going to be insanely hard to spot

Yep, makes me mad, but it is the nature of the game I guess. People want them, and their is just not enough to go around. I would like to know how many fakes are out there in respectible collections that are considerd to be real. Too bad, the history to me is the most important thing in this hobby and it gets crapped on by these jokers in my opinion.

This guy isn't just a good faker, or a really good faker. He is simply THE BEST without question. Remember from a month or so back, the thread with his lids, both german and US, both BIG price items? Well a couple of name changes later and he is still cranking them out. You could clearly see where he purchased the original helmets to paint up. It's things like these that have almost made me 100 percent certain, i'm getting out of the helmet game. Buyer Beware, these are just too good. Scary SCARY good

http://cgi.ebay.fr/M1-Helmet-Liner-WWII-90...id=p3911.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=290336936270

Not a whinge, or moan thread, just a simple heads up, be very careful, once these are out into the market, going to be insanely hard to spot

Call me a cynic, but continental Europe must be full of barns awash with "original" painted M1s waiting to be discovered. Either that, or French farmers who've dug up more M2 helmets (with original, but faded markings, of course!) than were ever issued to the 82nd/101st. Buyer(s) beware!! :thumbdown:

It is too bad, but dishonesty and fakery permeate every hobby; wherever there's money to be made. It's getting to be that I don't buy anything from anybody that I don't either know personally, or whose track record over an extended time is on the up and up.

Bill

That's basically the way i've gone in the past too, pieces i've acquired have already come out of old, respectable collections, but it's getting to be THE only way to get something nice, and real.

General Apathy

Hi All, where were all these helmets 35 - 40 years ago all that was around then were plain factory finish helmets.

How come all the painted and fantasy helmets have appeared since ' Saving Private Ryan ' ???? :think:

Personally all the helmets I have collected have been model variations of the standard factory finish helmets,

I might have two painted ones which I have had thirty years and they were freebies.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi All, where were all these helmets 35 - 40 years ago all that was around then were plain factory finish helmets.

How come all the painted and fantasy helmets have appeared since ' Saving Private Ryan ' ???? :think:

Personally all the helmets I have collected have been model variations of the standard factory finish helmets,

I might have two painted ones which I have had thirty years and they were freebies.

Cheers ( Lewis )

I have to totally agree with Lewis. I have been collecting since the late 1950s, and until recently saw very few painted M1 helmets, although the M1917 helmets were fairly commonly found with unit painting which was most commonly done shortly after WW1.

I know that painting was done on some levels during WW2 - period photos prove that. But very few helmets escaped into private hands following WW2 and most of them were repainted back to a solid color later. Some forum members have been fortunate enough to "uncover" some of the original painting by removing the post war repaints. But the great number of "found" painted helmets, especially in Europe, tends to make me very suspicious of most painted M1 helmets.

I have reached a time of life where I am no longer actively collecting, and am in fact disposing of most of my collections with the exception of a few family and other "special" pieces. I truly feel that collectors in the next generations will be unable to tell honest pieces from the current crop of fakes, and either the interest in collecting will suffer, or prices will be driven down across the board.

35-40 years ago the painted helmets were still in the possession of their original owners, the vets. They were kept only because they had some meaning. Of course, this is not to say that painted M1's are easy to find nowadays, or that most seen for sale today are original.

I'm still very new to the helmet collecting side but the 1st I.D. helmet, would the lime/apple green interior paint of the shell not indicate post-war repainting? It also looks like there are small areas of a similar green paint left ontop of the camo colours which in theory could suggest post-war paint has been removed an someone got lucky. I can't say I'm a fan of either helmet though, but is there anything else with the 1st Div. helmet that I missed? I'm always eager to learn!

Lewis and Bayonet Man,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. 30 + years ago painted helmet were the exception in any form. I'm sorry, I do not buy the Veterans holding on the them, death stats would show an equal spread of deaths regardless of unit. I remember shows in the late 60's early 70's , IIRC one of the First painted helmets I remember was one with a Small Engineer Insignia on the left side. Perhaps I remember this since my Dad was an engineer in the war. Throughtout the 70's and 80's where were the masses of painted helmets? IMHO after SPR and all the hollywood hype simply fed the feeding frenzy (demand)for painted helmets. As for fakers, how many of you guys remember the guy who painted the Ranger helmets for SPR or the former dealer in Ohio who's initial were BB that always had "fresh" helmets at shows? Faking is nothing new, just new faces doing it.

I have this position on Any painted helmet.......the only way I would Consider one is, by chance while at a yard sale, I asked, "do you have any old Army stuff"?.....and the little old lady says......"Why yes, I think(insert husbands, uncles, grandfathers) trunk is still in the (attic, basement or garage), lets go see"? After moving boxes from a corner, stack or under a bench she tells me to pull out a dust covered, paint spattered footlocker. Upon opening the footlocker the "old" smell fills the room (hopefully no moths flying)and there are(uniform(s), helmet(WWI-WWII) photos, orders and a Luger, Nambu(yea right) plus a bunch of other "GI" stuff. The odds the helmet found under these circumstances would be legit.

Now the big question is........all those photos of painted helmets in WWII.....how many were there?.....where are they?.... did the Army say , Hey,paint over all that , its not authorized!! :think: :think: :think:

Dave

Hey Blake, this guy is not all that good in my opinion. None of these would get past my radar, especially the German lids he's sold in the past. He is not very good at all on the German stuff. American, he's a little better. Don't get out of the helmet game, just use all your friends on the forums to help you learn to spot them. If you get out of the game then they have won...! I'm not gonna let that happen to me. I just had to get better at my hobby...! The only time I have gotten burned is when I was lazy, in a hurry, and did not do my homework.

Regards, Chris

The only time I have gotten burned is when I was lazy, in a hurry, and did not do my homework.

Regards, Chris

Amen to that brother! There's still lot's of really good, original stuff around, it's just a case of finding a level of collecting that you are happy with. I have only ever gone for standard, unglamorous, unmarked helmets which are fairly easy to appply some basic knowledge/principles to. The prices are lower and you get burnt less often but I'll probably never end up with anything really special or unique. Increase the rarity and you increase the risk and cost so you need to increase your knowledge accordingly to compensate, it's the same whatever you collect unless you manage to find some item that absolutely, positively could never be copied or faked convincingly :think:

Turning back to the 1st I.D. helmet if I may, setting the 'It came from Normandy' rubbish that most European scammers seem to trot out aside, what about this actual helmet is signalling a fake? I'm not very happy with the 1st Infantry marking, but freely admit I don't know a lot about unit markings. It looks like it could have been a late war an issue helmet that has been camo painted at some point by someone, overpainted post-war then stripped back. Do you think the shell has been touched up deliberately to appear like this? Am I misreading the layers of paint? Any pointers are gratefully received.

I think that over the next two decades the number of "real ones" will begin to decline. I have to admit that I have been lucky with mostly naval marked helmets. They seemed to have gotten back home into closets before the vets ventured off to the Pacific! I think that a lot of the collectors on this site will become the holders of the true ones for the next generation in which all the vets will be gone.

Cheers,

mike

I only wish I could get one real BRO marked helmet. I think all the people out there doing things like this will keep me at bay on that goal for quite a while though.

Hey Blake, this guy is not all that good in my opinion. None of these would get past my radar, especially the German lids he's sold in the past. He is not very good at all on the German stuff. American, he's a little better. Don't get out of the helmet game, just use all your friends on the forums to help you learn to spot them. If you get out of the game then they have won...! I'm not gonna let that happen to me. I just had to get better at my hobby...! The only time I have gotten burned is when I was lazy, in a hurry, and did not do my homework.

Regards, Chris

This is true, i think i was just throwing out an empty threat, to myself lol, but i should have been more specific and said definately getting out of the EBAY helmet game lol. I don't think i could ever really give up, but things like these make it really hard to find a good one