Tankers' helmet assembly.

Sabrejet

This assembly features a Rawlings-made tankers' helmet with R-14 receivers, M1944 goggles and a Respirator, Dust, M-1.

post-8022-1255162726.jpg

audacia cum prudentia

hello fellow taff, m44 goggles not used in WW2, only seen them on the June 45 parade through Pilsen in use by a few M24 crews

hello fellow taff, m44 goggles not used in WW2, only seen them on the June 45 parade through Pilsen in use by a few M24 crews

Hello yourself! Correct me if I'm wrong, but WW2 didn't actually end, per se, until August '45. The following quote is taken verbatim from a respected WW2 reference book: "Note: The M-1943, Polaroid and M-1944 goggles were issued to most combat arms and certain personnel (drivers, etc) as well as to armored and motorized troops."

General Apathy

Hi Sabrejet, beautiful tank helmet, any chance please that you can show the inside of it, would like to see that. :thumbsup:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Sabrejet, beautiful tank helmet, any chance please that you can show the inside of it, would like to see that. :thumbsup:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hello Ken! This helmet is the one that you got Andrew to repair for me all those years ago!

IJP :thumbsup:

Well, sorry, I would have to disagree with that book too....

I have yet to see the M1944 in use in WW2... IMO what was used was the USAAF B-8 types which looked similar to the M1944....

More on that here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...517&hl=oran

Hi Johan. At the end of the day, it matters not. At some point, a US Army tanker somewhere, at sometime would have worn such a combination. I'm not one of those collectors who throws his hands up in horror if an item is dated one week after the cessation of hostilities with cries of "But it's not original WW2!"... and I've met lots of 'em! WW2..or "WW2 period" is fine by me.

Ian ;)

Johan Willaert

Agreed, plus this board is not limited to WW2... So actually it doesn't matter at all...

What does always strike me as odd, is that most of the M1944 goggles I see are in fact dated 1944, but you never see them in use on WW2 vehicle crewmen...

Let's not mention paratroopers with M44 goggles... B)

General Apathy
Hello Ken! This helmet is the one that you got Andrew to repair for me all those years ago!

IJP :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, funny isn't it as soon as I saw that helmet I thought I recognised it, and an hour ago I sent Andy a message and a photo of it as well for him to look at. ' All those years ago' as you put it, yep they have flown.

Cheers and take care, ( Ken )

This assembly features a Rawlings-made tankers' helmet with R-14 receivers, M1944 goggles and a Respirator, Dust, M-1.

post-8022-1255162726.jpg

Very nice helmet setup!! :thumbsup:

By way of an add-on, this is an example of the cold-weather helmet designed to be worn under the tanker helmet. Same fabric/lining as the winter combat jacket and trousers combo.

post-8022-1255267196.jpg