Navy waist belt life preserver

hawkdriver

They were used by the Infantry on D-Day, not only on men but also as flotation devices for equipment. As far as I know that was the only time they were used by the Infantry because they caused as many drownings as they prevented. The men were not trained properly and wore them around their waist and left them there when they tried to use them. The problem was they should have been worn around the chest under the arms because most of an Infantryman's weight is above the waist so when in the water their head would go down and their feet up.

They were used by the Infantry on D-Day, not only on men but also as flotation devices for equipment. As far as I know that was the only time they were used by the Infantry because they caused as many drownings as they prevented. The men were not trained properly and wore them around their waist and left them there when they tried to use them. The problem was they should have been worn around the chest under the arms because most of an Infantryman's weight is above the waist so when in the water their head would go down and their feet up.

Thank you, that is what I thought. I found an immaculate preserver today and was trying to decide whether to put it with my D-Day display or not. Looks like I will. I thought I had read that many guys were found bobbing in the surf, feet up. What a horrible way to go.

hey Hawkdriver is it a M-26 type or another type of belt..the Navy and MC used a different belt in the Pacific ,i do'nt know the nomonclature but it's different than what was used on D-day by Army Infantry on that day.....heck the Army could have used that different type also but from all the pictures i have seen i almost always see the Navy M-26 life belt in D-day photos.....vince g. 11B inf..

It will have to wait until tomorrow night, I am out in western Kansas helping with harvest right now and don't have my computer to upload to. I will post a picture of it and the other stuff I got as the back end of my car is loaded with militaria!!! It's 30 degrees and since it's in the back of the car, I don't want to unfold it right now, I'll post what is says on it when it warms up a little.

Well, that's a good problem having a trunk full of cool stuff! Not to rub it in, but since you have an M-26 and I still don't--it was ninety degrees here yesterday :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yuck, I'll take the cool weather, I can always wear a coat! After Iraq, I hate hot weather. The freezing drizzle just rolled in, so no worky now.

The belt has a date of oct 16 1944, so to late for D-Day, but the contract number is W25-030-tc-7 made by Durkee Atwood Co.