Navy Uniform (Pre-1913) USS Pensacola, Training and Receiving Ship

KASTAUFFER

I just picked this uniform on Ebay and thought it was interesting.

Here is a little history on the USS Pensacola

(Screw steamer: displacement 9,821 (normal displacement); length between perpendiculars 353'11"; beam 51'; draft 21'6"; speed 9.5 knots; complement 144; armament 1 4", 1 3")

Pensacola, launched as Nicaria by Aktienges. Neptun, Rostock, Germany 18 August 1901, was seized by the U.S. Government at Southport, N.C. 8 May 1917; transferred to the Navy 9 June 1917; and commissioned 8 October 1917, Lt. Comdr. Frederick Marcus, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to NOTS in January 1918, Pensacola carried supplies from the United States to French and British ports. Returning from Brest to Philadelphia 2 December 1918, she steamed to New York and sailed for Turkey 25 January 1919 with a cargo for the Syrian-Armenian Relief, arriving Constantinople 12 March. Following her return to the United States 15 April, Pensacola carried passengers and cargo to bases in the Caribbean. Returning to Norfolk 9 June 1919, she was reassigned to the Navy Trans-Pacific transport service.

She operated in the Pacific until becoming station ship at Guam 15 March 1922. Classified AK-7 on 17 July 1920, Pensacola was reclassified AG-13, 26 June 1922. She decommissioned at Mare Island, Calif., 14 March 1925, was struck from the Navy Register the same day, and was sold to M. Davidson, Stocton, Calif., 5 August 1925.

I believe the uniform itself predates WWI by a few years, even though the flat hat is clearly from 1917 or greater. The jumper has a very detailed Ex-Apprentice knot that almost looks like a real rope! The uniform also carries a gun pointer mark.

The bottom of the jumper is not finished like you normally see. It is cut in a jagged pattern and the the length of the jumper is made long enough so that it could be tucked in. Notice where the sleeves fall to compared to the length of the jumper.

penns.jpg

penns1.jpg

penns2.jpg

penns3.jpg

There was a receipt in the pants I just found from a store for cleaning dated 1916!

I wonder if this uniform is actually from this earlier ship. It says she was used as a training ship for Navy Apprentices beginning in 1899. Look like she was struck from the navy list in 1901. Is there a possiblity the hat and jumper could be that early? The receipt clearly says " Sailor suit and cap". 1916 is before the other WWI era Pensacola was in existance. I suppose he could have had the uniform cleaned in 1916 but was on the USS Pensacola later too. The jumper has a lot more wear than the pants.

The first Pensacola was a screw steamer launched by the Pensacola Navy Yard 15 August 1859 and commissioned there 5 December 1859 for towing to Washington Navy Yard for installation of machinery; decommissioned 31 January 1860; commissioned in full 16 September 1861, Capt. Henry W. Morris in command.

Pensacola departed Alexandria, Va., 11 January 1862 for the Gulf of Mexico to join Flag Officer Farragut's newly created West Gulf Blockading Squadron. She steamed with that fleet in the historic dash past Confederate forts St. Philip and Jackson which protected New Orleans 24 April and the next day engaged batteries below that great Confederate metropolis. On the 26th, a landing party raised the Union flag over the mint at New Orleans.

During the next two years, she helped guard the lower Mississippi, returning to New York Navy Yard where she decommissioned 29 April 1864 for the installation of new and improved machinery.

Recommissioned 16 August 1866, Pensacola sailed round Cape Horn to join the Pacific Squadron, serving from time to time as flagship. Her cruising ranged from Chile to Puget Sound and west to Hawaii. But for two periods in ordinary, 15 February 1870 to 14 October 1871 and 31 December 1873 to 13 July 1874, she continued this duty until detached from the Pacific squadron in June 1883. Departing Callao, Peru 18 July she sailed west across the Pacific and Indian Oceans, transited the Suez Canal, and steamed the length of the Mediterranean, before crossing the Atlantic to arrive in Hampton Roads 4 May 1884. She decommissioned at Norfolk on the 23rd.

Recommissioned 4 April 1885, Pensacola operated in European waters until returning to Norfolk in February 1888 for repairs. Operations along the Atlantic Coast and a cruise along the coast of Africa ended when the ship returned to New York in May 1890. In August she headed back to familiar haunts in the Pacific arriving San Francisco 10 August 1891. Following a visit to Hawaii she decommissioned at Mare Island 18 April 1892.

Recommissioned 22 November 1898, Pensacola served as a training ship for Naval apprentices until going back into ordinary 31 May 1899. She was back in commission 14 July 1901, subsequently used as receiving ship at Yerba Buena Training Station, San Francisco until finally decommissioning and struck from the Navy Register 23 December. She was burned and sunk by the Navy in San Francisco Bay near Hunter's Point early in May 1912.

MVC_005L.JPG

The Gun Pointer 1st Class mark was not created until 1903.... but could have been added after later.

Kurt

The Gun Pointer 1st Class mark was not created until 1903.... but could have been added after later.

Kurt

Additionally, the jumper has the "Ex-Apprentice" badge. This was introduced in 1904. The jumper has the "Pinked" hem meaning it was to be worn tucked in which ended in 1913. I think you are looking at the last P-Cola. I served on the last Pensacola (LSD-38), so this is an interesting uniform to me. As far as a cleaning ticket from 1916, I have been retired for 10 years and have had my old uniforms cleaned too.

Steve Hesson

Additionally, the jumper has the "Ex-Apprentice" badge. This was introduced in 1904. The jumper has the "Pinked" hem meaning it was to be worn tucked in which ended in 1913. I think you are looking at the last P-Cola. I served on the last Pensacola (LSD-38), so this is an interesting uniform to me. As far as a cleaning ticket from 1916, I have been retired for 10 years and have had my old uniforms cleaned too.

Steve Hesson

Based on the clues it appears this is a pre-1913 jumper worn by a sailor who went through the Apprentice program prior to 1904 and who also served on the USS Pensacola sometime after 1917. I bet he wore this jumper for a long time. That would make sense! It would explain the wear to the jumper and the fairy new condition of the pants.

Kurt

Based on the clues it appears this is a pre-1913 jumper worn by a sailor who went through the Apprentice program prior to 1904 and who also served on the USS Pensacola sometime after 1917. That would make sense!

Kurt

Kurt, he would not have worn that uniform after 1913. That was when the jumper got the square hem and was worn out side of the trousers. This looks like a Sailor who served in Pensacola until she was decomened in 1912.

Steve Hesson

Kurt, he would not have worn that uniform after 1913. That was when the jumper got the square hem and was worn out side of the trousers. This looks like a Sailor who served in Pensacola until she was decomened in 1912.

Steve Hesson

Ah, so you are thinking he was on the 1st Pensacola.

Kurt

Just nailed down who this belonged to ( Ray W. Hecock) :

Here is his WWI draft registration. He was born in 1887 making him 17 in 1904. Puts him in the right range for the Ex App knot. Shows on his form that he spent 5 years in the USN. That would place him on the USS Pensacola sometime between @ 1904 and 1908/9.

Kurt

hecock.jpg

This thread almost feels like an episode of History Detectives ;)

Kurt

• 1 month later...
Just nailed down who this belonged to ( Ray W. Hecock) :

Here is his WWI draft registration. He was born in 1887 making him 17 in 1904. Puts him in the right range for the Ex App knot. Shows on his form that he spent 5 years in the USN. That would place him on the USS Pensacola sometime between @ 1904 and 1908/9.

Kurt

post-105-1255130272.jpg

This thread almost feels like an episode of History Detectives ;)

Kurt

Excellent job!

-dan