M1 ammo belt question

6th marine

Did Boyt make a M1 ammo belt that has a lighter color on the belt with a darker color on the 10 pouch flaps . I have a ammo belt that the maker is faded but it looks like maybe Boyt 45. Could this be correct? the belt pockets does not have the devider straps inside each pocket that devides the 03 clips. The regular M1 garand clips fit perfectly. the snaps are all marked Klikit Pull with a star between klikit and Pull. It also has the pot metal front buckle.

craig_pickrall

Check to see if you can make out the US stencil on the right front pocket. For what it is worth that is an Army belt. The Army stopped using the divider strap that was intended to separate stripper clips but the USMC continued to use them until they stopped making those belts in the mid 1950's.

Fixbayonets!

I have a similar U.S. Army cartridge belt made by Harian and dated 1945. The belt was made without the divider straps and is in transitional colors - OD#3 belt with OD#7 pocket flaps. I would assume other manufacturers, such as Boyt, were making the same variation late in the war. In my opinion this is not an easy variation to find.

Rob

Ok there is a faded US on the front of one of the pockets. So I guess means it was not for the Marines. Did Boyt make belts with a Boyt 45 stamp on them for the Army. Also I have a chance to keep this ammo belt or trade it for a nice Burlinton Mills 1942 ammo belt. This other belt has a strong US stamp on the front and you can read the maker and date. It is the solid color green type. Whice one would be best to keep. I kinda like the look of the two tone one .

craig_pickrall

If you are looking strictly at value the 1942 belt is the better choice but if you are happy with the 1945 with mis-matched colors and the value doesn't matter then go with that one.

The 1942 belt should be a khaki tan color. If not then it may be redyed.

The Collector

Hi like the other post it sounds like a late war army belt .It doesnt have the dividers and should have a US stamp on the front pocket . Boyt did make U.S.M.C. gear but also army stuff to . I have Boyt marked U.S.M.C. OD belts but they have the divider and U.S.M.C. stamped to the rear of the belt . It does sound like a late war transitional belt . I have 43 dated OD army belts by Harian to.

Andy (UK)

I own a mint/unissed belt that also has the miss matched colors, but it's dated 1943 and was made by HANSON.

1A291E

6thMarine:

Here is a "Harian 1945" Belt that I'll bet is identical to yours (everything else in the photo is dated '45 as well except the Bayonet, which is a '42 cut-down)...

post-3226-1255923018.jpg

6thMarine:

Here is a "Harian 1945" Belt that I'll bet is identical to yours (everything else in the photo is dated '45 as well except the Bayonet, which is a '42 cut-down)...

post-3226-1255923018.jpg

awesome set of transitional gear :thumbsup:

Terry

awesome set of transitional gear :thumbsup:

Terry

Thanks! I've always had a weak place for that "transitional" stuff, and sought it out at every show and mail catalogue. Came across multi-colored Jungle Hammocks, M1935 Bedrolls, and even a half-dark/half-light Rucksack. Don't have photos of all of it; I need to take some and put them up at the "Mismatched Web-gear" thread that Craig linked above.