Uniform wear out date

hawkdriver

When we were preparing to deploy every non-aviation type had A2CUs and the flight crews couldn't get them. What a joke! :blink:

Jim

EFP's & IED's tend to make your ride Burn......

Well, this is the Army... Should we really expect any less?

No, not really, especially when you consider that the Army developed almost the same type of two-piece Nomex flight suit forty years ago....velcro cuffs and all. Same reasons too...they didn't like you aviator types walking around in something that didn't look like everyone else's fatigues. And why did they eventually dump it and go back to the coveralls? Because it was a fire hazard having that big huge gap between the shirt and trousers. Go figure.

The Army is just now officially phasing our BDU/DCU's? I thought they did this years ago, when the ACU's started coming in. I can't imagine a soldier in BDU's this late in the game.

A wear out date just means you can't wear it anymore, it doesn't mean that anyone is actually still wearing them. Almost everyone switched two years ago, but wear out dates are always well after the fact just in case the supply of the new item can't keep up with the demand.

Cobrahistorian
No, not really, especially when you consider that the Army developed almost the same type of two-piece Nomex flight suit forty years ago....velcro cuffs and all. Same reasons too...they didn't like you aviator types walking around in something that didn't look like everyone else's fatigues. And why did they eventually dump it and go back to the coveralls? Because it was a fire hazard having that big huge gap between the shirt and trousers. Go figure.

Aaaah, the circle of life....

LionKing.jpg

Kinda makes you wonder if the monkeys are actually running things...

Misanthropic_Gods
Aaaah, the circle of life....

LionKing.jpg

Kinda makes you wonder if the monkeys are actually running things...

like you said man, its the Army...do you really expect anything else? The Big Green Machine really has the circular logic on the go.

A wear out date just means you can't wear it anymore, it doesn't mean that anyone is actually still wearing them. Almost everyone switched two years ago, but wear out dates are always well after the fact just in case the supply of the new item can't keep up with the demand.

I agree with you, except the Big Green machine usually only takes the active duty into account when they think of these things. Right now is a prime example. The ACU's have been fully fielded, that is true, but what hasn't been fully fielded is the cold weather gear. You only get the cold weather gear now as part of RFI if you are deploying, we still have some units in the guard that haven't deployed or haven't deployed since '07, and don't have cold weather clothing, i.e. my battalion. We have tan coats, woodland coats, Air Force "silver" jackets, OD coats, you name it, we wear it. When we fly, we look like a Gypsy wagon and God forbid, we go to a active duty base, you can see little balls of red mist shooting skyward as every CSM's head explodes before we even get there.

I agree with you, except the Big Green machine usually only takes the active duty into account when they think of these things. Right now is a prime example. The ACU's have been fully fielded, that is true, but what hasn't been fully fielded is the cold weather gear. You only get the cold weather gear now as part of RFI if you are deploying, we still have some units in the guard that haven't deployed or haven't deployed since '07, and don't have cold weather clothing, i.e. my battalion. We have tan coats, woodland coats, Air Force "silver" jackets, OD coats, you name it, we wear it. When we fly, we look like a Gypsy wagon and God forbid, we go to a active duty base, you can see little balls of red mist shooting skyward as every CSM's head explodes before we even get there.

I still don't have any ACU cold weather gear. It's been on order since July 2008!!!! :crying: A year of active for the sandbox. One A2CU, the new combat helmet and a pack of green T shirts! (No kidding!!) Go forth and do great things!!!!

Yes, very true. Having been in the Guard I know what you mean. Of course, there are always those cheap senior NCO's who won't give up the old stuff until Uncle pries it out of their hands. My dad was like that. Wore his OD M-65 until the very, very, very end. Hence the reason for a wear out date. If Uncle didn't give the Joes one, you're gypsy camp would be every unit's SOP. I do feel sorry for the IRR guys and anybody who's about to retire though.