USMC Gunner Insignias

Brig

Leatherneck72
The good thing about moving is sometimes you find things you forgot you had. That may be the only good thing about moving... :blink:

While packing up stuff I came across the following small group. I thought you guys might enjoy:

post-594-1266776708.jpg

What's the deal with referring to him as Gunner "F" and Mr. "F"......doesn't he have a real name, or is it a top secret thing? I would think that after all thee years after the war it would be declassified...LOL :think:

What's the deal with referring to him as Gunner "F" and Mr. "F"......doesn't he have a real name, or is it a top secret thing? I would think that after all thee years after the war it would be declassified...LOL :think:

Top secret? No. Do I wish to share his full name on the internet where it could be found by any casual Google searcher? Also no. We have had several instances of "relatives" suddenly arriving out of the woodwork to "claim" their lost ancestor's things after they were posted here on the forum. In at least one instance, the "relative" turned out to be a shill for a mercenary collector. So it is my policy to not post names--I am not interested in playing such games. :dry:

He was indeed a real WW1 Marine Gunner; one of only 109. Since there were so few, I also chose to obscure his enlistment date on the dog tag.

Anyway, should I ever decide to sell this group, the new owner will be provided the name and all other pertinent information before the sale.

Leatherneck72
Top secret? No. Do I wish to share his full name on the internet where it could be found by any casual Google searcher? Also no. We have had several instances of "relatives" suddenly arriving out of the woodwork to "claim" their lost ancestor's things after they were posted here on the forum. In at least one instance, the "relative" turned out to be a shill for a mercenary collector. So it is my policy to not post names--I am not interested in playing such games. :dry:

He was indeed a real WW1 Marine Gunner; one of only 109. Since there were so few, I also chose to obscure his enlistment date on the dog tag.

Anyway, should I ever decide to sell this group, the new owner will be provided the name and all other pertinent information before the sale.

Wow! "relatives" come out of the woodwork? Mercenary collectors? Even if they were "actual" relatives they would have no right of ownership over any militaria that you owned. I have been selling USMC items and early US (most named) well over 25 years. No one has ever come out of the woodwok except for buyers. Maybe I have just been lucky.....

Wow! "relatives" come out of the woodwork? Mercenary collectors? Even if they were "actual" relatives they would have no right of ownership over any militaria that you owned. I have been selling USMC items and early US (most named) well over 25 years. No one has ever come out of the woodwok except for buyers. Maybe I have just been lucky.....

Well you know what they say; Its better to be lucky than (well, you know...)

Anyway, to get this thread back on topic, anybody else have any Marine Gunner insignia to share?

• 1 month later...
BigJohn#3RD
just in. great pair of small silver H&H Imperial

Thanks for the info. As a retired Army Warrant Officer I find it all very interesting.

Regards

John

All,

I have seen this group in person and this Gunner had an amazing career. Lucky too! Everywhere the action was hot, this guy was not! LOL This guy was lucky, and had a pretty varied career! And, this little group is neat as heck and lets face it really rare. I'd be willing to guess that a little group that is Id'ed like this is missing from most advanced USMC collections. And, I am the same way with rare/unique items/groups. In addition to "out of the woodwork family" there are professional theives who troll sites such as this. This is a big reason that the bulk of my collection will never be pictured on the net, at this point in my life, I don't need/want to deal with the potential headaches that this can cause. And, I'm with Big John, as a retired Army WO, I find this neat, regardless! Now, if I could just find a WW1 Army Field Clerk group! LOL

John

• 1 month later...