Postings from my Negative collection

R Michael

here is one from a recent pickup. Cannot ID the unit but there are some nice shots. Looks to be at the end of the war in Europe and some shots you can see white sheets hanging from windows so freshly liberated towns in I guess Austria.

Mike

post-1387-1255875694.jpg

post-1387-1255876812.jpg

post-1387-1255876822.jpg

here is one from a recent pickup. Cannot ID the unit but there are some nice shots. Looks to be at the end of the war in Europe and some shots you can see white sheets hanging from windows so freshly liberated towns in I guess Austria.

Mike

looks like they are chasing germans out of the town?

post-1387-1255877012.jpg

post-1387-1255877250.jpg

post-1387-1255877400.jpg

havent had time to scan over the last week or so but thought I would put a few more on the thread. The sleeve on the WWI vet read "brooklyn 1940" looks like he may be from a vets orginization from the SSI?

I would say the shoulder sleeve insignia is from the VFW, Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1940, the largest portion of the membership would have been WWI vets, which this gentleman looks to be based on that medal on his chest with multiple claps.

The chromed parade rifle off to the side tends to confirm this.

As for your troops and the village, it could be Austria, but it could also be Bavaria and Southern Germany. The architecture of the village buildings is very plain, which to me suggests Austria, but there is no way to be certain.

Those who specialize in German items will recognize that the smaller vehicle is a captured Volkswagen Kubelwagen. The WL on the license plate indicates it was taken from a Luftwaffe unit.

I'm not so hot at quoting images, but on Oct 8 at 12:46 R. Michael posted the following

here are a couple more before i call it quits and go to bed.

The recovery vehicle is part of the 3rd armor grouping.

One photo is a 4-engine bomber. It looks like a Boeing B-19----the biggest bomber built during WW2. The only thing is that the engines are not the open cowling radials. Compare it with one in this link.

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/hist062b.htm

Great photo of a P-61 night fighter even if it is blurry.

Steve

The B-19 was equipped with Allison V-3420-11 engines sometime in 1943 and redesignated the XB-19A,

Mark

I'm not so hot at quoting images, but on Oct 8 at 12:46 R. Michael posted the following

One photo is a 4-engine bomber. It looks like a Boeing B-19----the biggest bomber built during WW2. The only thing is that the engines are not the open cowling radials. Compare it with one in this link.

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/hist062b.htm

Great photo of a P-61 night fighter even if it is blurry.

Steve

thanks guys for the discussion on the postings! Yes I think that it is the later version as TBM stated and if I remember right there was only 2 built?

gwb, on the spot. that is the big reason I picked this grouping up. Love the captured german stuff in use by the army. the hitler jungen flag is pretty nice to boot. :)

I was looking and scanning and came accross this one. Wonder if this was a US Army war dog?

Mike

post-1387-1256010173.jpg

Thanks Charlie, Capa, and Jason.

I am gonna lean to the 50's on the Marine, and yes I think he is part of a ship bourne contingent as the other slides show him and other buddies on and around the ship. The AAF slide was part of the group and all slides are the red border kodachrome.

Charlie, I thought it may have been a private purchase and I think it is the same fellow that is on the NSU so good chance he prefered the shoulder rig to the hard shell holster. Me I woulda stuck with the hard shell, he kinda looks shabby with that rig.. :w00t:

Here are 3 more from another grouping and it is a shame he either didnt know how to use the camera or it was of poor quality. Any way I think after looking at the burned out german plane that is jet powered. You can see the engine he is sitting on and to the extreme fuzzy right it looks like the cone on a jumo? Who knows. I know I dont :)

The GI sitting on the burned out German plane is actually sitting on an Heinkel HE-111 bomber's ramains. It was a piston engined airplane, not jet. The dead give-away to identification is the shape of the vertical stabilizer.

These photos are very neat to look at. Many thanks for sharing them! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the clarification Lee. My reasoning behind my guess was no props. Glad you enjoy the postings and thanks!

Mike

The GI sitting on the burned out German plane is actually sitting on an Heinkel HE-111 bomber's ramains. It was a piston engined airplane, not jet. The dead give-away to identification is the shape of the vertical stabilizer.

These photos are very neat to look at. Many thanks for sharing them! :thumbsup:

AM posting a few quick scans from a large, 600+, negative grouping from an 8th cav trooper. My great uncle was in the 8th so I am on the lookout for any snaps of him. :thumbsup:

I like this one as it shows the DUI for the 8th as well

Mike

post-1387-1256248440.jpg

...Can anyone ID the fellow with the SSI?

post-1963-1256252720.jpg

I am tempted to say PFC Frank Gorshin but he wasn't drafted until 1953 and this soldier was on duty in Tokyo long before that. However, he is wearing MacArthur's GHQ SSI, with an illegible tab that probably indicates the is a member of the the Imperial Guard, ca. 1946 ~ '47.

I am tempted to say PFC Frank Gorshin but he wasn't drafted until 1953 and this soldier was on duty in Tokyo long before that. However, he is wearing MacArthur's GHQ SSI, with an illegible tab that probably indicates the is a member of the the Imperial Guard, ca. 1946 ~ '47.

LOL man I really did ask for an ID on that PFC.. I meant to askk about the SSI but i butchered the written word instead!

Thanks on the ID! I think I may have a photo of the Diachi building in here somewhere

Mike

These look like they are either pre war or early on. If I am not mistaken. I did notice that the DUI's are not for the 8th cav and not sure which they are for.

Mike

post-1387-1256269085.jpg

post-1387-1256269094.jpg

post-1963-1256269252.jpg

Can you post a clear enlargement of the DI? It is not 8th Cavalry but if your negatives date back to prewar 1st Cavalry Division, it might well be 5th Cavalry.

PS: Post #39 looks like the same DI. If not 5th Cavalry, it might be a recently drafted National Guard Cavalry unit ca. 1940 ~ '41.

Can you post a clear enlargement of the DI? It is not 8th Cavalry but if your negatives date back to prewar 1st Cavalry Division, it might well be 5th Cavalry.

PS: Post #39 looks like the same DI. If not 5th Cavalry, it might be a recently drafted National Guard Cavalry unit ca. 1940 ~ '41.

No, it is not the 5th nor any others that i could find. Sadly that is the clearest one i have come accross, though there are 600+ negs so if I come accross a better will post that one.

Here is an interesting one. The drum has the 8th cavalry DUI.

Mike

post-1387-1256601880.jpg

a few more stateside snaps. Question; I am not a uniform guru but by the jacket can we date this photo and I had always thought that after the war they no longer used horses in the cavalry. At least for non cermonial purposes.

Mike

post-1387-1256602790.jpg

post-1387-1256602976.jpg

post-1387-1256603229.jpg

Re: Posting # 43

ANYBODY that ever served at Ft Bliss knows where those guys are. Those are the Franklin Mountains in the background - these pix were taken east of El Paso & Bliss, looking west - probably between the current airport and just west of Hueco Tanks. I'm guessing pre-WWII or pre-deploymeny (to Pacific) 1st Cav Div.

BTW - I think you printed the top and bottom pix backwards. Besides the mountain terrain being bassackwards; buttons on men's shirts & jackets are on the right side.

General Apathy

BTW - I think you printed the top and bottom pix backwards. Besides the mountain terrain being bassackwards; buttons on men's shirts & jackets are on the right side.

Hi Mike, you were asking if the photos could be dated from the jackets, I figure that looking at the black ties being worn, dates the photo's to pre March 1942, if they were following clothing regulations.

Also I concur with Captcav that you have the printed the photos bassackwards as he states, it came to me when I realised that the horses were seen as right-hand drive when really being American they should be left-hand drive :pinch: :lol::lol::blink:;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

p.s. as Capa states, keep them coming very interesting

An old Cavalry buddy suggested that this obsolete 12th Cavalry DI might be the mystery DI we see in posts #36 and #39:

post-1963-1256694820.jpg

post-1963-1256694835.jpg

post-1963-1256694856.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

ANYBODY that ever served at Ft Bliss knows where those guys are. Those are the Franklin Mountains in the background - these pix were taken east of El Paso & Bliss, looking west - probably between the current airport and just west of Hueco Tanks. I'm guessing pre-WWII or pre-deploymeny (to Pacific) 1st Cav Div.

El Paso for sure. Can't mistake it, I see it in my nightmares every night!

• 2 months later...

Finding time is tough. A belated thanks for the help in the time frame and locations. From My Great Uncles albums I would have guessed Ft. Bliss as the terrain matches a lot of his snaps.

I am decideing to get into the 21st century with catalouging and storing my collection so I will be going thru and digitising all my negs so more to follow over the next few months.

Here is one from a Kodachrome grouping taken in late 58, early 59 by a LT col j.r. Hillard

Mike

post-1387-1262214958.jpg

a few more stateside snaps. Question; I am not a uniform guru but by the jacket can we date this photo and I had always thought that after the war they no longer used horses in the cavalry. At least for non cermonial purposes.

Mike

Horse cavalry served before,during and after the war

there was very little in regards to mounted combat,but they trained right on til 1947 at Ft Riley

last mounted parade at Junction City Kansas 1947

post-22-0-13945800-1413729241.jpg