F.W. Assmann Air Force Badges

Paul S

I've seen F.W. Assmann made wings for the Navigator, Bombardier, and this Flight Engineer rating. Did they make others such as Pilot, Sr. Pilot, Cmd Pilot, Aircrew, and Aerial Gunner? Anyone have any pictures of them to post?

What are your thoughts as to their scarcity...I have seen very few of them offered on eBay over the past few years.

post-3515-1254865384.jpg

FrankEaton01

Wing badges aren't my primary collecting interest, but I have picked up a few over the years. Here's an Assmann USAF Command Pilot wing that I used to own about five years ago.

DEAD LINKS

EDITED 12/27/2017

DWIV

I've owned an Assman-made basic Para badge and a Glider man. I would rate any Occupation-made badge or DI by a German firm as very scarce.

Bobgee

Whenever I hear of that jeweller, Assmann, I think of the Seinfeld episode in which Kramer gets the proctologists' license tag instead of the one he should've gotten. Anyway, Assmann really did do some quality work. To me, anything they produced is very desirable. Gorgeous wings, btw!

g

Paul,

I have seen several ASSMANN marked pilots wings so i know they exist. I noted a recdent post WW2 wing sell on ebay of the same typical pattern marked with a raised 333 IIRC. I see your FE is marked in the same location... dual numbers for the attached device? Just a guess.

John

BTW I owe ya a photo... I will see if I can get to that Tuesday post work.

Here's an Assman made Pilot wing with their hallmark and the number "322" on the back. I see the Command Pilot wing listed above has the number "320". I assume the Senior Pilot wing would therefore have the numer 321?

I also included images of a Glider Pilot, Liaison Pilot and Service Pilot which I believe were made by Assman, however they have no markings on the back. I don't know of another wing producer who used vertical instead of horizonal lines in the shield.

WINGS_2009_138.jpg

There is a CP wing on Ebay if anyone wanted one although the price is... well I will let you form your own opinion.

Thanks to all of you for posting...this is turning out to be an interesting and informative thread. Here is a bombardier I found some time ago.

post-3515-1255215685.jpg

Here is a picture I found of the Assmann factory located in Lüdenscheid, a town about 25-30 miles east of Düsseldorf. Their wings appear to follow Balfour detailing, at least in the navigator armillary.

post-3515-1255216222.jpg

Here is a pinback Liaison that I have that has the vertical lines on the shield. It is hollow backed but clearly a stamped wing. No markings of any sort on it. Markpost-527-1255216577.jpgpost-527-1255216585.jpg

post-527-1255216596.jpg

You've posted some great images of 1945-1947 German occupation wings! I have a buddy who collects strictly German insignia. He described visiting the Assman factory, depicted above by Paul S, in the early 1960's in search of anything German left over from the war. He was disappointed to learn that within weeks of Germanys capituation, the owners of the Assman company quickly re-tooled their factory and solicited all of the allied occupational forces for insignia production contracts. Apparently the Assman company successfully transitioned from producing German insignia to US insignia well before the end of 1945.

Attached is an image of an Assman produced hollow-back Service Pilot wing which closely resembles TMBFLYER's Liaison Pilot wing depicted above. Included in the image is a two inch variation of a Command Pilot wing. (Frank Eaton's three inch Command Pilot wing listed above has the number "320". The two inch version has the number "340" on the back).

WINGS_2009_142.jpg

This is really turning out to be a great thread for this maker. Keep posting guys... I hope to see other wings i.e. medical, ag,...

Cheers

John

• 7 years later...
triplecanopy

This is an old thread that I thought I would resurrect. Recently I picked up a USAF Senior Pilot badge (as shown) and was curious about the ASSMANN Numbering system. So I did a little research and came up with this list. I know there is probably a complete list somewhere in an ASSMANN Catalog, but I do not have one. I am interested to know what other numbers they used on U.S. Military Insignia, so if some of you other collectors have knowledge in this area, please feel free to add on and fill in the blanks. Mod. You may want to at some point move this to the HALLMARKS section.

F.W. Assmann & Sohne

Post WWII US Insignia and Catalog Numbers:

All have a letter “A” with extended crossbar and a number

Expert Infantryman Badge 190

½ size EIB 193/195

Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award 191

Combat Infantryman Badge 2nd Award 192

½ size CIB 193/95

Combat Medic Badge 260

Basic Parachutist Badge 265

Senior Parachutist Badge 266

Master Parachutist Badge 267

Glider Badge 268

USAF Navigator Badge (later) 323

USAF Basic Pilot Badge 322

USAF Senior Pilot Badge 321

USAF Command Pilot Badge 320

Command Pilot Badge 2” 340

USAF Bombardier Badge 326

USAF Flight Engineer Badge 345 346

Service Pilot Badge 2” 348

Liaison Pilot Badge 2” 349

Glider Pilot Badge 2” 350

Flight Surgeon Badge 332

post-48217-0-08199400-1490406419_thumb.jpg

post-48217-0-88577300-1490406447_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Couple of notes on the list. I just picked up a set of flight engineer wings from Assman. The 2" wing has the 345 & 346 numbers, while the 3" wing has the 332 number noted as being for the flight surgeon. 332 may have been either for an observer wing or just a base wing made for wings like the flight engineer and flight surgeon with large attached center devices.

Also, the Flight Nurse wing was number 331 and the 2" Flight Surgeon was number 352 as Ron has examples for sale on his site flyingtigersantiques.com.

I also found an image of a 2" Assman Aircrew wing. It was numbered 347. John Cooper's earlier post in this topic also indicated he had seen a Pilot wing with the number 333. I would guess that was a 2" wing.

I am guessing they would have also made 2" and 3" Aerial Gunner wings but have yet to see any of those.