Writing on helmet covers

Justin

Um... I think that is what was actually used. You have to think in terms of what the troops would of had available to them in the field.

Corpl. Cleaver

Both were used, but I have also heard that guys used grease pencils. You can get them at hardware stores for a buck or two.

Tyler

When I wrote my name on my helmet band I used a government issued ball point pen (ink, black, one each). When I drew my rank on the helmet cover (I didn't have time to get one sewn on prior to an FTX) I used a sharpie.

other than a pencil, was there some other magical writing device out there? why would not want to use a ballpoint pen? i think that is more legit than a sharpie.

My uncle who was in the army 1966-1968 recalls using a fountain pen with Higgens Permanent Black Ink to "personalize" some of his gear overseas. He also said some of the other guys in the unit liked the look the fountain pen achieved, but fountain pens were not common in country where he was and it was harder to get desired results if you had not used one before. Dave

Im assuming your doing this for Vietnam, Justin.

Anyway, as long as the item that your writing with was around in the 1960s and was common enough to be incountry or for a soldier to get his hands on, I would say its good to use. And remember not everything was in black too. But writing on helmet covers seems to of always been more of a doodle type thing and you really dont see any intricate artwork.

Thanks everyone, I am fully awear they used pen's and marker, I meant something that may look better for display, wax pen worked great!

private panda

I've got a couple of helmet covers and wanted to write on one. What wold be appropriate slogans to put on it? Not PC, but things a grunt would put on there.

What guys would write on their covers varried a lot. Especially with units and when they were incountry. But everything was more of a doodle and kept simple. My best advise is to just look at a bunch of original pictures.

Heres a link to an original written on helmet I have that Im assuming is a grunts due to the amount of wear, fading and writing but I dont know the unit he was in besides USMC.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=46108&hl=

You could write "I just ruined this Vietnam War vintage helmet cover"

:lol:

Yeah, I'll make sure I put that on the 1977 Mitchel helmet cover I'm using... :rolleyes:

Whatever you put on there, be careful not to put something on there that came from a later time period. (such as "Be all you can be", from the 1970's volunteer Army recruiting campaigns."

You will want to use something that was a common phrase from thie time period.

From what I've seen a lot of it was just personal items, dates, short timer calendars, names of places back home, "sentiments" regarding military service, girl friends names, and as one person said "doodle art".

You also want to be careful about going too overboard, or too cliche as in the following:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D18%26um%3D1

(You will note that the site clarifies that this should not be confused with the anime series Full Metal Alchemist or Full Metal Panic.)

full_metal_jacket.jpg

FTA and peace signs were always popular.

FTA = Fun, Travel, & Adventure, diba? hahaha

If you don't know what FTA is I suggest you obtain a copy of Steel My Soldiers Hearts by COL Hackworth.

Everyone - I'm not trying to make the helmet look like the real thing and try to past it off as an original, it's just something for reenactments. I was also not planing on writing on a cover with a Vietnam era date, nor anything from a movie like "Born to Kill" Or "It's 2009 LOL VIETNAM"

Yeah, I'll make sure I put that on the 1977 Mitchel helmet cover I'm using... :rolleyes:

Just kidding! I think it depends on who and when you are re-enacting.

Attitudes early war were much different than late war.

Also the marines were required to write on their helmet covers and more apt to write other things on it as well.

An army draftee would write FTA or draw a peace symbol.

A lifer might put his rank and name or nickname if anything at all.

Other's things commonly written: girlfriend/wife names, the months left in a tour, phrases/ slang like "sin loi" or "short-timer"

My pop never wrote anything on his, just his name and sn on the headband.

This was actually more typical than you think.

Just kidding! I think it depends on who and when you are re-enacting.

Attitudes early war were much different than late war.

Also the marines were required to write on their helmet covers and more apt to write other things on it as well.

An army draftee would write FTA or draw a peace symbol.

A lifer might put his rank and name or nickname if anything at all.

Other's things commonly written: girlfriend/wife names, the months left in a tour, phrases/ slang like "sin loi" or "short-timer"

My pop never wrote anything on his, just his name and sn on the headband.

This was actually more typical than you think.

FNG brings up very good points. Early in the war your werent going to see FTA and peace symbols everywhere. That started to get popular late in the war after Tet. Especially early in the war, writing on helmets was not nearly as popular as (or at least to the extent that) people think. Many many people never wrote something, and if anything just a name/nickname or a small thing or two scribbled on. Not very noticeable, especially after it being worn in the field a few times. I dont think anyones mentioned unit related stuff on helmets. Like unit insignia or just written out. And something Ive noticed is past battles or big occurances are sometimes written on.

Has anyone considered saying "Don't do it"? 25 years from now someone will be posting it here puzzled by why a '77 cover had these "Nam type sayings on it. :think:

Everyone - I'm not trying to make the helmet look like the real thing and try to past it off as an original, it's just something for reenactments. I was also not planing on writing on a cover with a Vietnam era date, nor anything from a movie like "Born to Kill" Or "It's 2009 LOL VIETNAM"

If you're not trying to make it look like the real thing, then how can it be used for reenactments? :think:

My advice, just leave it as-is and save yourself some grief at events.

Captainofthe7th

As far as writing utensils, I used a dip pen with India ink on my cover...a fountain pen will work the same. I think India ink is a good choice because it's permanent and very rich in color. It doesn't have that blue tint like sharpie.

DSCF1843.jpg

While it may not be completely field accurate, I think for this purpose it is completely acceptable. All you're trying to achieve is some sweet graffiti, so why not? As long as what you write is creative and looks good, no one should have a problem with it.

Rob