Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

Not exactly correct. Yes it is a 6 wheel type but not the one that is the rarer version  and more desired.The rarer type has non geared wheels and all are the same size, to clarify further they are circles. Other consideration is that an 8 wheel geared type can be manipulated to look like it is a 6 wheel. The seller is top notch so no problem there.

Mort

So was the geared type that was on eBay overpriced? Being it’s not the desirable version. The prices of these 6 wheeled patches seem to be all over the place. 

BILL THE PATCH

I've never seen either version in person, I didn't even know about the difference in the cog wheels. Was it overpriced? Good question. Where's Mort

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

In watching patches on ebay over the last dacade:

Patch in post #580 goes from $300-600 but is seen as an error missing the cogs by most collectors. It is usually sold as a 6 cog patch and I believe most collectors think it is a true 6 cog variant. To each there own but I would not spend money for that variant unless you specifically collect everything for TD...but it is considered an error patch. 

To each their own again...i would consider a patch that missed thread going on differently than one that has a reversed turret...t me more disireable as that is what a true error is. 

As others have posted, #583 is what is considered a true 6 cog. These typically sell for $450-700...nd as mort said in a previous post....typically $100 per cog = $600. I have sold 3 of these in the past 7 years and average $450-600. 

FWIW

Steve gave a good summary on the subject. Botton line the 583 post by Jium is the true $600 version and the other if lucky is half at best and in my opinion not a smart buy.

Mort

Thanks for all the input on this, that really summarized my questions on these variations for me.  Still a lot to learn before I make a big purchase on these error type patches. 

John

General Apathy

An interesting and long running topic . . . . . . . .

here are three of mine I just pulled out a patch box.

.fullsizeoutput_9386.jpeg.496c058f32b5bdccf2fcf73622ea028d.jpegfullsizeoutput_938b.jpeg.09cb6020bbd13b8437c89aa18f51feb6.jpeg

Thanks interested in any comments,  regards lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Tank Destroyer Matchcase . . . . . . . 

A cover for a double size book of matches, after the matches are all used it can be opened up and used as a postcard.

.fullsizeoutput_9654.jpeg.29e0ca89a8571a196a378af7d235e58e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9657.jpeg.054248cf8ab940ce0ac50a47168312c4.jpeg

Cheers lewis .

olivedrab1970

I recently acquired this patch in a large group, my thoughts are it is a great looking patch but the glowing white teeth and eyes and whiskers tell me reproduction?

Thanks,

Robin-

20210306_072041_compress28.jpg

20210306_072052_compress98.jpg

20210306_072308_compress24.jpg

20210306_072255_compress50.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I don't think it's a repo, maybe went through the washing machine hence the glowing. Is the back a greenback?, Looks like it.

olivedrab1970
49 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I don't think it's a repo, maybe went through the washing machine hence the glowing. Is the back a greenback?, Looks like it.

Bill'

The back is a greenback and is beautiful..lol, the only glow is the white. What would you price this patch at Bill ?

Robin-

BILL THE PATCH

I've seen them go for between 65 - 100, that's if your a greenback collector.

12 hours ago, olivedrab1970 said:

I recently acquired this patch in a large group, my thoughts are it is a great looking patch but the glowing white teeth and eyes and whiskers tell me reproduction?

Thanks,

Robin-

20210306_072041_compress28.jpg

20210306_072052_compress98.jpg

20210306_072308_compress24.jpg

20210306_072255_compress50.jpg

Im pretty new to collecting these TD patches, I have yet to see one with a white nose like that.  Maybe just another variation?  Any one else seen the white nose before?

easterneagle87

Just saw the match book that turns into a post card. Interesting. Here’s a small grouping listed on OfferUp for $35

7A23F466-B0FD-4F79-8C60-17260F6BF021.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

As I have been learning more about the TD patches I have yet to see any 8 wheel variants with lighting bolts in the mouth.  Does any one know if such a variant exists?

13 hours ago, Usmc2004 said:

As I have been learning more about the TD patches I have yet to see any 8 wheel variants with lighting bolts in the mouth.  Does any one know if such a variant exists?

I have not seen an 8 wheeler with lightening bolts or a solid wheel 4 wheeler with lightening bolts.  BUT, never say never.  Errors are out there.  For example I have a 4 wheeler with no lightening bolts.

4 Wheel TD Error ($10).JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually the tab shown for the 661st is a reproduction. Have a real example posted here. the differences are very subtle and you can see why so many are fooled. Hope this is of some help.

Mort

DdneM6CASJKoNeGeDfhPPA.jpg