Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

With the patch posted concerning the possible fake, this is my two cents. I overlayed the photos over each other. The angles that the scan and photo were take are slightly off, so I did two overlays with one being match with the bottom and the other being matched to the top.

My anaylsis:

1. If you save the photo from ebay, you can really zoom in. There is dirt on every edge. As a theatre made piece after the war, I doubt that it would be this dirty. With so much along each of the edges. It looks like a tooth brush was used so it left build up of a wax or oil along the edges. The threads are beat up a bit more in the open areas and not consistent throughout. To me, this is the biggest tip off as being a doctored up patch.

2. The one being sold now is a bit smaller than the "repro" one and could have shrunk a bit, more around the mouth of the cat-during a process to age it. I couldn't get the entire thing to match up from head to mouth.

3. Whiskers could move from tooth brush. Not a big deal

4. There are some discreptancies: the eye balls are different (but if it was pressed down, matted, could account for this), on the one being sold, there are 12 tracks on the left and 13 on the reproduction, unibrow on the one being sold but a definite space on the reproduction (but if it was pressed down, matted, could account for this)

Below: matched (overlayed) with top of head. Blue line shows discreptancies

189951_orig.jpg

below: matched with mouth. Blue lines show discreptancies

9537203_orig.jpg

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks close but I don't think they are the same.If you look at the one on the right there is a gear on the jaw line.The one on the left, eBay, there is none.

Right. There are several discrepancies between the two. Particularly in the treads. A few in the whiskers.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking about TD stuff again lately and thought I'd just bump this thread to see if anything comes up.

I'm looking for ANY and ALL info on the 633rd Tank Destroyer Battalion in WWII. I know general info and history, but if anyone has items named/marked to that BN, photos especially, unit items, anything of that sort, I want to talk to you directly.

Thanks!

Anthony

Sgt. and Squad Leader, B Company, 104th Inf Reg, 26th "Yankee" Division (reenacted)

Always looking for militaria having to do with the 26th YD, Tank Destroyers, and large size uniforms.

In memory of:

Col. George Edward Holloway, Jr., Infantry School at Ft. Benning, GA in WWII and NH National Guard in the 1950s

Pfc. Frank E. Borrelli, C Company, 633rd Tank Destroyer Battalion WWII

Pfc. Tom Calabrese, 112th Chemical Processing Company, Army Service Forces WWII

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some I picked up last June.

post-153685-0-91026500-1415394710.png

Looking for African and Italian Campaign items! 5th Army Items!

Also 755th Tank Battalion and 633rd Field Artillery items!

Bullion Patches, WW2 Patches, and Medals and Ribbons!

I also deal in Coins/Paper Money, Bullion, and Boy Scout memorabilia.

donation2018.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Close up

post-153685-0-49295200-1415394807.png

Looking for African and Italian Campaign items! 5th Army Items!

Also 755th Tank Battalion and 633rd Field Artillery items!

Bullion Patches, WW2 Patches, and Medals and Ribbons!

I also deal in Coins/Paper Money, Bullion, and Boy Scout memorabilia.

donation2018.gif

Very nice!

Here a few of mine, together with some TD association items and a subdues modern type "TD" patch.

These are two greenback TD patches btw.

Also a small grouping of a soldier of the 817th TD.

Sorry for the lesser quality of the photo, I had to take it without flash or it would have been too bright.

Erwin

post-157-0-63064200-1416066163.jpg

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Where did you get the modern style subdued TD patch? I'd love to have one of those for fun haha

Sgt. and Squad Leader, B Company, 104th Inf Reg, 26th "Yankee" Division (reenacted)

Always looking for militaria having to do with the 26th YD, Tank Destroyers, and large size uniforms.

In memory of:

Col. George Edward Holloway, Jr., Infantry School at Ft. Benning, GA in WWII and NH National Guard in the 1950s

Pfc. Frank E. Borrelli, C Company, 633rd Tank Destroyer Battalion WWII

Pfc. Tom Calabrese, 112th Chemical Processing Company, Army Service Forces WWII

• 2 months later...

I wanted to share grouping I acquired recently from the son of a 801st TD veteran. Included in the group was the skull insignia worn by 801st members while serving stateside. The orange armband was believed used by the 'Red Forces' during stateside TD training maneuvers. The veteran served in the National guard and later inlisted in the Army Jan. 1941. Also in the grouping was a panoramic photo taken at Camp Sutton May 1, 1942 of company C, 801st TD battalion. The veteran later graduated from OCS at Ft. Monmouth, N.J. in April, 1943. The grouping included a few other US insignia and a couple of German medals.

post-8535-0-48078900-1422325503.jpg

Wow great group I have never the 2nd Corp like that I would love to own that. The group is great very cool to have a name attributed to it

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

I will have that 2nd Corp patch with many other variations for sale at the SOS. Stop by my tables and say hello and check out what I hope you may think is the best patch sale display at the show,it was the best at ASMIC,MAX and OVMS. This is my first time selling at SOS so excuse the self promotion.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif