Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

I did enjoy the photos. :)

One day I'll own my own M18 TD, you see! (Yeah, keep on dreaming, Erwin)

Does the yearbook have names in it?

Any chance the name Conrad W Eyth is among them?

Thanks.

Erwin

GI wearing TD patch on tanker jacket.

Taken in Ferschweiler, probably February 1945.

So it could be either the 691st or 808th TD Bn.

Dog's name: Honey Bunch.

Photo recently added to my collection.

TDGIwithdoggy_zpscb55290d.jpg

Erwin

Cool stuff Erwin!!! Totally jealous. I'll check for the name a little later, it has names and even some addresses, of everyone in the battalion. The only other one I've seen is in the National Archives.

Cool stuff Erwin!!! Totally jealous. I'll check for the name a little later, it has names and even some addresses, of everyone in the battalion. The only other one I've seen is in the National Archives.

What unit history are you looking for? I have a couple, 899th and forget the other.

I did enjoy the photos. :)

One day I'll own my own M18 TD, you see! (Yeah, keep on dreaming, Erwin)

Does the yearbook have names in it?

Any chance the name Conrad W Eyth is among them?

Thanks.

Erwin

Erwin, I didn't see that name in the alphabetical list, although I have previously noticed a missing name from there that's in one of the unit pics. Do you think he was in the 633rd or was it just a shot in the dark?

Well, a shot in the dark.

I have about every bit of information on this soldier EXCEPT his unit.

Names of parents, when they moved from Germany to the USA, where they lived, etc, etc.

He was in a tank destroyer unit, but so far I had no luck finding out which one (even with help from Geoff who did excellent research work if I may say so).

Erwin

• 1 month later...

Wow, I can't believe there are that many versions of the TD patch -- how many men actually served in the TD batallions and would need a patch? Is it fair to say that more than a few of the posted patches are repos?

There are a lot of variations if you count theater-made as well.

So most of them posted here are indeed originals and not reproductions (they do exist though).

Erwin

Wow, I can't believe there are that many versions of the TD patch -- how many men actually served in the TD batallions and would need a patch? Is it fair to say that more than a few of the posted patches are repos?

You can find nice originals EVERY day on eBay. And don't buy into that "rare" 8 wheeler crap either. They are also available EVERY day.

Just scan through this thread a few times and you will see what originals look like.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Received three photos of a member of the 817th TD Bn standing next to the wreck of a German plane.

Probably taken around April 1945.

This particular photo shows the GI wearing a TD marked helmet.

post-5589-0-80198700-1404529934.jpg

This is the third photo I have seen regarding these TD markings (all marked on the front of the helmet).

Erwin

And as usual when one makes a statement, something comes up that throws this all around.

In the collection of the newly re-opened museum in La Gleize, Belgium (you know, where Peiper got his butt kicked) there is a helmet that belonged to the CO of the Reconnaissance Company of the 703rd TD Bn.

It shows the TD marking on the side.

Link: http://www.december44.com/fr/collections/acquisition-2.htm (in French).

This museum will be re-opened on June 21, 2013.

Erwin

PS: Of course, this does not mean the officer wore it like that in WWII, he could have added it in 1945.

Ack-Ack26yd

I found this picture on eBay, but didn't end up winning it. It was labeled 817th TD BN. I've also got a picture in my personal collection (I might post it later) with an office wearing a liner with a TD decal and Lt bar on it.

post-85550-0-51347700-1370127380.jpg

Ack-Ack26yd

Just found this other one in my files, no info on it though. I just saw that the original pic posted about decals was 817th TD BN too, as well as the 1st one I posted. I guess it was common in that unit.

post-85550-0-84076200-1370142341.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This TD patch went for over 220 USD (!).

Green eyes (added in WWII or after???).

post-5589-0-06973900-1404529466.jpg

post-5589-0-78548100-1404529476.jpg

post-5589-0-97777600-1404529487.jpg

post-5589-0-72980100-1404529498.jpg

My bid was nowhere near the final price.

(Photos from seller)

Erwin