Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

Jon,

That domed piece looks to be two pieces. Is it possible someone bent the halftrack to shape?

Erwin,

I might be mistaken but I thought you had a pretty nice group of TD manuals? Was that you?

• 2 weeks later...

:love:

That's a really interesting collection!

As for Camp Hood PX patches, I recall seeing at least another variation (it had more black color between the wheels).

Erwin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

656TDpatch.jpg

656th TD Battalion

Activated on 3 April 1943 at Camp Bowie, Texas. Arrived in England in December 1944. Disembarked at Le Havre, France, on 6 February 1945 equipped with M18s. Entered the line near Friesenrath, Germany, on 28 February. Pushed toward Rhine River at Remagen and crossed into bridgehead beginning 7 March. Converted to the M36 late that month. Supported 9th Armored Division sweep to help encircle the Ruhr in early April and then dashed eastward to the Mulde River. Turned south and entered Czechoslovakia near St. Sedlo on 6 May. Attached to: 9th Armored Division; 78th Infantry Division. History text from the book The Tank Killers by Harry Yeide. Used by permission.

www.tankdestroyer.net

Erwin

• 1 month later...

TDpatchIdentified.jpg

TDpatchIdentified1.jpg

If I can believe the story, this patch was one of many a lady collected during WWII.

She wrote the name of the GI on the backs of the patches and also added a card with the name(s) on it.

I only have one TD patch eventhough there are two names on the card.

Makes me wonder where the second (TD?) patch ended up.

Erwin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
GeneralLucas
Thought I would show some variations of Tank Destroyer patches for my friend Erwin.

If you have others, please feel free to add them.

A Camp Hood patch. Sold in PX's.

Here is a 8 and 4 wheeler TD patch, I do not know how common these are but I wanted to add them to the thread.

post-1658-1343253887.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up this book published by the 894th Tank Battalion Association.Only 703 copies printed.Thisv photo is from the dealer Richard Williams at Warrelics.

post-399-1344347299.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Very nice.

This type is still missing in my collection, but wouldn't mind getting a (b)eaten up one like the one you're showing.

Thanks for your post.

Because a few months ago, I moved to another location, I got to rebuild my "war room" or collection room.

Here are a few TD displays ...

HPIM4819_zpsbf9bfb31.jpg

The TD patch display with overseas caps in front of it.

HPIM4806_zps6f3c5b1d.jpg

TD Training Battalion photos.

HPIM4802_zps47e912b3.jpg

Small display of identified patches and photo.

Erwin

Wow, Nice TD Collection ! Now I'm impressed, and I don't feel as bad about mine now,knowing that its not that common. Thanks Denny P.S Heres a few more that I have ,its a good start.

post-334-0-60364000-1356926702_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some of my Tank Destroyer items. The three patches are from my grangfather who was in the 633rd TD BN, as well as the yearbook. The garrison cap is original, but I had the original TD piping sewn on it. Got his dogtags as well. Also a panoramic picture of his Company as well as a panoramic picture of another company in the Battalion I got off of ebay a while back. Also there is a picture of me doing a display with an M18 Hellcat a couple years ago. Hope you enjoy!

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink