Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

Look in the MISC/UNKNOWN section for a couple more photo's of this flag. I attended one of this groups reunions a few years back. I set up a display of some of my 36th ID stuff there. Great guys to talk to.

Nice! Do you have the flag in your collection or just a photo of it?

• 3 weeks later...

This was sold to me out of a grouping. It's interesting to note the card was
obtained at Camp Atterbury, Indiana instead of Ft. Knox where it was mailed.

EDIT: Picture is lost

I've found the majority of them on Ebay. The last one was purchased

on Wehrmacht-Awards.com. I asked the seller to sell the card

separately, which he agreed to do. I have one more coming in the mail!!

I'm feeling a post card obsession coming to life!!!

I got watching a Judy Garland movie tonight and the soldier accompanying her was wearing

the 4-wheel TD patch!! I about fell out of my chair!!

Movie info:

The Clock

MGM, 1945 (BW, 90 minutes, Production No. 1331)

A soldier on a two-day pass in New York meets a girl under the clock at Penn Station, and while it ticks away 48 hours he becomes well acquainted with her and the city. Touring the city together they fall in love and both want to get married, but are hesitant with the realization that they scarcely know each other and will face a long damaging separation when he goes overseas. A chance meeting with a friendly milkman and his family helps them come to a decision.

• 2 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

The Tank Destroyer patch is an authorized patch in use from 9/42 until 10/46. It was only used in the ETO. There are many other patches that are made and worn however that are unauthorized.

That is why I don't trust Wikipedia and similar too much; too many errors and downright "bs" in them sometimes.

TD patches can be found on PTO dress jackets although I can't recall seeing the patch on combat uniforms.

Since PTO is not my cup of tea, I can't really tell.

But it seems to me that in the PTO not a lot of patches were worn by combat troops?

Erwin

The Tank Destroyer patch is an authorized patch in use from 9/42 until 10/46. It was only used in the ETO. There are many other patches that are made and worn however that are unauthorized.

Craig---I seem to remember, in the1979-1981 era, that qualified TOW master gunners were authorized to wear a subdued version of the TD patch as a Pocket patch on their fatigues---probably the only nice feature of the crappy uniforms of that period; non-starched, perma pressed, zipper fly and dorky baseball hat.

SF, Al

craig_pickrall

I'm sure they have been used off and on since WW2 for various units. The book AUTHORIZED SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA 2005 by Chris Aleck records only the periods an insignia was authorized for wear. Any other usage was as an unauthorized insignia. There have been some posted here that were used in Iraq recently.

As I heard from a Veteran several years ago, it was even used by an Apache helicopter unit.

If I have kept it, I will post the article he sent me about it.

Erwin

That's it! thumbsup.gif

Thanks.

Nate, that's a really nice postcard.

Although it wasn't very nice from Jim to fool you with that story. ;)

I didn't notice the other stationary, but I lost on the separate envelopes they were offering on eBay (got overbid again). But I'm very happy with the identified stationary though.

Erwin

Been a little busy ....

post-5589-0-45621900-1402500154.jpg

I wonder if anyone has genuine WWII TD marked items like coffee mugs or plates.
Not the stuff you can buy now, but items used during WWII.

Erwin

This thread has been slow lately so here is a little excitement!! Shirt was purchased on Ebay and came in today!
I've never paid much attention to shirts. This one has some interesting features I didn't know existed. This type of
shirt is pictured in "G.I. Issue Collector's Guide" (Henri-Paul Enjames) on page 36. I wish it had a ruptured duck
patch!!

Shirt, Flannel, OD
Coat Style, Special
(Stock No 55-S-5652-2/55-5668-7)

* Dated 1944
* Model 1942 Chevrons for Staff Sergeant
* Two overseas service bars
* Standard 4-wheel TD patch

post-5589-0-81985800-1402424131.jpg

Nice looking shirt, Nellis. thumbsup.gif

I seem to have missed that one.

I need to get back at you concerning the markings as that picture isn't showing at the moment (I'm at work).

Hopefully soon I will be able to add a nice TD related item myself in this topic.

Erwin

craig_pickrall

I agree the 29X8 looks like a size. Possibly of a panel in the shirt. I would guess shoulder area.

Is the gas flap present or has it been removed? Usually when the word "special" is in the description it means gas flap.