Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

Very nice patch, Jim!
German-made or?

I got a few items from that TD grouping; Sergeant Joseph Sowinski - 631st Tank Destroyer Battalion. It was turned into a towed TD Bn (they had M10s before the reconversion).

4 wheeler TD patch
post-5589-0-42861500-1402539850.jpg

TD collar discs
post-5589-0-43160900-1402539858.jpg

Two photos; one taken in France, the other in Germany
post-5589-0-45243300-1402539872.jpg

post-5589-0-83935200-1402499751.jpg

V-mail
post-5589-0-74613200-1402499756.jpg

Unfortunately, I lost on several others as it ended at 0200 hours my time and I needed to get up to go to work at 0500 hours.

Erwin

Hey guys,

I'm glad to see you got some of that grouping. Here is something I just got off of eBay. It's a 4 wheel patch minus the cannon barrel. The listing didn't mention this. I think the seller might have gotten more if he had realised it.

post-78-1193019578.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe the 631st had its origine in the 114th FA?

I know some of the TD units used to be artillery units.

Small bore .... the weapons of the crew (pistol, Thompson, grease gun)?

Sowinski was in C Company according to the V-mail I have of that grouping.

Erwin

craig_pickrall
Maybe the 631st had its origine in the 114th FA?

I know some of the TD units used to be artillery units.

Small bore .... the weapons of the crew (pistol, Thompson, grease gun)?

Sowinski was in C Company according to the V-mail I have of that grouping.

Erwin

Smallbore normally refers to .22 caliber. The other weapons you mention have their own Q Bar available.

Your always one step ahead of me Erwin!!

On a side note: I did some searching and found my Great Uncle was in the 811th TD Battalion. He was medically discharged

before going overseas. This is the only info I could find.

"Activated 10 April 1942 at Camp Gordon, Georgia. Arrived at Cherbourg, France, on 15 September 1944 equipped with M18s. Moved to Luxembourg in November and participated in the Battle of the Bulge in December. The battalion was scattered widely and pieces attached to many divisions into January 1945. Supported operations against the Siegfried Line in February and early March. Advanced to the Rhine in late March and crossed river on 30 March. Supported 80th Infantry Division in capture of Kassel and advance to Erfurt and Chemnitz in April. Moved south and crossed Danube River to Regensburg. Entered Austria on 5 May. Attached to: 17th, 101st Airborne divisions; 4th, 9th, 11th Armored divisions; 28th, 78th, 80th, 87th, 89th Infantry divisions; 3d Cavalry Group."

I wonder if he knew Earl S. Peacock.

He was a Major - Battalion Executive Offcier - and was in Waldbillig, Luxembourg on December 16, 1944.

Erwin

I would ask him but he passed away 4-5 years ago.

there are no markings inside. it has a very bright gold gilt finish.

I am not a TD collector, just a WWII collector in general. I originally decided to pick it up to go along with my WWII black crackle zippo display. Now I think I am going to start seeking out TD items.

I completely understand your new found enthusiasm for TD!!! A relative was in the 811th TD Battalion but was

medically discharged before going overseas. His stuff got me started and now military shows and Ebay take care

of the rest. I enjoy collecting patch variants. You shouldn't have much trouble starting your TD collection. Good luck!!

Guest kutzburg
I want my mama crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

No seriously, these are great patches. thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for showing them to us TD buffs.

If I ever get my hands on one like those I would be so happy.

I do wonder if the exists a scroll for the 704th TD Bn.

Erwin

Erwin

Had a close friend who was with the 704th TD. his uniform has a 704th stiched into the top of the patch.He died this past January and I don't know what has happen to all his "stuff" He is mentioned in the book about the 704th, SGT Joe Schedivy

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I had the honor of having the following Veterans as my close friends; Richard Bowman (Medic), Harry Traynor (M-18 driver) and Walter Righton (fuel truck driver) of the 704th TD Bn.

I would have loved seeing a photo of that uniform.

What Company was Sgt. Schedivy in?

Erwin

Hi Bruce,

I had the honor of having the following Veterans as my close friends; Richard Bowman (Medic), Harry Traynor (M-18 driver) and Walter Righton (fuel truck driver) of the 704th TD Bn.

I would have loved seeing a photo of that uniform.

What Company was Sgt. Schedivy in?

Erwin

How did you manage to be such good friends with American vets? Mail, Phone??

Just curious... thumbsup.gif

Hello curious :lol: ,

Yes, I had contact with them through snail mail, telephone and even had the honor of meeting a few of them as well in Belgium or Luxembourg.

To name a few Veterans I met; Richard Bowman (704TD Bn), George Ruhlen (CO 3AFA - 9AD), Kerman Sheckler (506PIR - 101AB), Jim Ferullo (26ID), James Demopoulos (26ID), Bart Hagerman (17AB), George Kelling (Viet Nam Veteran).

Erwin

Hello curious :lol: ,

Yes, I had contact with them through snail mail, telephone and even had the honor of meeting a few of them as well in Belgium or Luxembourg.

To name a few Veterans I met; Richard Bowman (704TD Bn), George Ruhlen (CO 3AFA - 9AD), Kerman Sheckler (506PIR - 101AB), Jim Ferullo (26ID), James Demopoulos (26ID), Bart Hagerman (17AB), George Kelling (Viet Nam Veteran).

Erwin

Haha, Thanks for clearing that up!! My father is a Vietnam vet!

He loaded B-52 bombers in Thailand!!

craig_pickrall

I was looking thru old regs for something else and spotted this. Thought you might like it.

post-5-1196530164.jpg

craig_pickrall

Yes, I have the 1941 and 43 copy of AR600-35 and the 41 and 44 copy of AR600-40 with all changes for all 4. This is the manuals that describe the uniforms, how to wear them and what is authorized to be worn on them.

I really wanted that shirt! I'm glad you got it though. I bought this off Ebay a couple weeks ago. Just now
getting around to posting it. Card shows the main building of the Headquarters of the Tank Destroyers,
Camp Hood, Texas. Card was mailed in Temple, TX in 1943. 7-19-1943 to Los Angeles

Card reads:
"Dear Mother, We've had a fine week and had such a nice visit with Bob. He looks well and enjoying the
radio school. He will finish the first part of August. It has been hot but we must expect that in Texas. Yes,
Bob received(??) the dollars you sent and says another thanks. "

EDIT: Picture is lost

Very nice postcard too. thumbsup.gif

I got outbid on a bag with name and ASN of a 634th TD guy yesterday .... by one lousy buck!

I wonder who won it, someone here at this forum maybe? think.gif

Erwin