Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

What a fascinating thread. Here are the three I have in my collection. While the two on the left are your typical four and eight wheelers, the one on the very right is different...

post-963-1181054914.jpg

What a fascinating thread. Here are the three I have in my collection. While the two on the left are your typical four and eight wheelers, the one on the very right is different...

... it is smaller and the black head is made of some kind of "ribbed" material. Any idea on when and where it was made?

Thanks and best regards,

Albert

post-963-1181055246.jpg

Hi Albert,

What you have is a trimmed down Camp Hood patch. I have seen these before. Why this is done, I don't know.

post-78-1181055595.jpg

Hi Albert,

What you have is a trimmed down Camp Hood patch. I have seen these before. Why this is done, I don't know.

Hi Jim, ah... that makes sense, I guess. Probably to wear it like a reg. SSI? I was admiring your "new" field of collecting thumbsup.gif Ever missed the "old" one?

It's done because

1) when they were pulled off mirrors, they were torn

2) to fool collectors into believing this is a rare smaller variant.

Erwin,

Here is a neat little German made 4 wheeler. The bobbin thread is a gray (almost silver) color. Note how pointy this guys ears are. In hand, it's a nicely made patch.

post-78-1182472386.jpg

Picked up this plate and cup at a garage sale. Do you think it was used at the school or elsewhere?? Has anyone seen items like this before?

Dave

post-341-1182536349.jpg

post-341-1182536366.jpg

post-341-1182536380.jpg

Very nice.

Could be used in Tank Destroyer School judging by the pictures.

I know some TD Associations made them too, so be careful with modern types (I guess one can see the difference).

Erwin

These came in today and were purchased on EBAY!!
And yes, the matches are still there!! I entertained the idea
of lighting one up, then thought better of it. ;)

post-5589-0-66985300-1402420913.jpg

post-5589-0-20712500-1402420918.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The TD overseas cap arrived here.

No QM tag, only a laundy code.

Some mothing, but nothing dramatic.

Wow, that photo and TD patch went high.

Too much for my taste.

First TD patch I saw with such a tag.

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Nice jacket Jim!! Ebay find? Finally got a TD magazine ad. Came in today's mail.
I bought the frame at wal-mart and think it displays nicely. I've had the torso for a couple years and came across it again. The base belongs to a new mannequin I got from work. I work in retail and they let me keep some of the mannequins they were going to throw away. The torso was too big so I kept the base and switched the tops.
The cloth surrounding the head was torn and shredded. I cut a square piece of cloth from an old white t-shirt and stuffed it around the hole. Hope you like my display!! I know the chair looks strange but I thought the uniform needed to be at eye level. I'm working on something..... :D

EDIT: Pictures are lost

I’m really enjoying this thread. I hope you don’t mind if I post my only TD patch.

I also like to see the reverse of the patches. I think this can better help our understanding of the differences in the manufacture.

Brent

Front

post-1118-1187305974.jpg

Back

post-1118-1187306346.jpg

Here is an interesting variation. I have no idea what era or what it was used for. Only one I've ever seen and I think it cost me $12.00.

Any ideas? obviously a jacket patch.

post-598-1187583793.jpg