Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

• 3 months later...

I was going to post this in the Can you ID section but since I know it is Tank Destroyer I felt it belonged here. The patch I am looking for info is the 2" patch in the center. It came form an estate with a 7th Armor patch and was labeled 7/814 so I am guessing this is the 814th Tank Destroyer Battalion but I have never seen an undersized patch like this one before. Any info is appreciated.

post-126654-0-12003200-1471128721.jpg

post-126654-0-18801200-1471128741.jpg

I was going to post this in the Can you ID section but since I know it is Tank Destroyer I felt it belonged here. The patch I am looking for info is the 2" patch in the center. It came form an estate with a 7th Armor patch and was labeled 7/814 so I am guessing this is the 814th Tank Destroyer Battalion but I have never seen an undersized patch like this one before. Any info is appreciated.

I believe that this is a cut out version of the WW2 px mirror patch, Camp Hood Texas.

I believe that this is a cut out version of the WW2 px mirror patch, Camp Hood Texas.

I think you are right. Surprised I missed that, that explains the rough edge. Thank you! (Disappointing though, as it is, lol, still prefer the proper ID)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would add to this thread this hand painted TD sign I picked up at an antique shop in RI.

Very similar to the one posted by Jerseyshoreed in post #404.

post-29885-0-63753200-1472762650_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-80279900-1472762654_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-56480400-1472762665_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Collector .45

Could someone answer a question for me. In regards to TD officers insignia, both should be facing the same direction correct?

Thanks

- Henry

• 2 months later...

Thought this would be a good time to add some new material and perhaps the one of rarest TD patches to this topic. The various numbered tabs are rare,which thanks to Dave and others have been shown as well as the Instructor patch,the 801st TD skull,the 802nd TD ,and the 6 wheel TD patch version. I believe for the first time on the forum I wish to show the 813th TD. OK I know some may dispute this ID and say it is a tank bn post war period. The construction of the patch is pure WW2 and most likely made by the same manufacturer who made the merrow WW2 506th Airborne patch. The 813th TD is listed in the "Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register. There is no 813th Tank Bn listed. This shows it served inArdennes-Alsace,Central Europe,Normandy,Northern France,Rhineland,Rome-Arno and Tunisia. I have only been aware of only three in collections. I have to reduce the scans,will finish post tonite. Thanks Mort

I am mounting all my rarest patches and would like to get the last word as to if this patch is indeed the 813th TD or a after WWII Tank Bn. I have had mine for 10 years or so and it was part of a small collection a Boy Scout had started in 1962 and gave up soon after. I seem to remember a thread on here that Mort and Dave K had made good points for both sides of the real id. Can't find it now. Both had good points and my patch is still labled as both. Maybe a vote should be made after all the arguments are made!

Same as the patch posted on page #15 - #366. Looks just like the one Dr. Mort has posted. Back and front. Can't charge up the camera and old phone takes cr*p pics. Still looking for the thread that tredhed2 and Dr. Mort had about this one.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif attachment

Hi Again Jim Baker & Jeeper704, I have attached a photo of a Tank Destroyer ' Sweetheart' pillow, from Camp Hood, these were sent home to either, mothers, wives or sweethearts. Cheers ( Lewis )

Interesting pillow case you have there. Here is my variation.

Posted Image

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif attachment

Hi Again Jim Baker & Jeeper704, I have attached a photo of a Tank Destroyer ' Sweetheart' pillow, from Camp Hood, these were sent home to either, mothers, wives or sweethearts. Cheers ( Lewis )

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My latest addition, a nice 6 wheel on uniform from the estate of a Camp Hood mechanic.

Nice find! Excellent condition too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

4 wheeler on the left and right, Camp Hood Texas. I have often seen these on sewn felt pennants that were sold in the PX.

post-169074-0-79671900-1502454912.jpg