Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

Well, this is hard to say for sure.

It could have been done some time in WWII .... but it could have been done two months ago.

With original WWII thread it is hard to tell.

Btw, there was a TD patch with "805" and "Hellcats" added for sale too.

I think it went for over 570 USD. :blink:

post-5589-0-08074300-1404529669.jpg

post-5589-0-54264500-1404529657.jpg

Erwin

ATTENTION:

For those of you that follow this thread religiously, I did some clean up to reduce clutter. There were many links and photos that no longer opened and those posts were removed. So were many of the "gee wiz", "cool", and "I wish I had that", type posts. I don't think anything was removed that affected the integrity of the conversations or information in the thread. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

So, let it be known, we are not rude, there were many congrats, holy cows, and such acknowledging the really cool items posted here. SOOOO, keep posting them.

And if you had photos of something posted that are no longer here, they wouldn't open. Please feel free to post again and save them to the forum.

Thanks!!!

• 2 months later...

Found this in the mailbox today. I love the design of this patch. I think maybe it's my favorite design. I was very lucky to get this one in mint condition. You don't see many in this condition.

802nd TD battalion.

post-78-0-74134500-1380422490.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thought this would be a good time to add some new material and perhaps the one of rarest TD patches to this topic. The various numbered tabs are rare,which thanks to Dave and others have been shown as well as the Instructor patch,the 801st TD skull,the 802nd TD ,and the 6 wheel TD patch version. I believe for the first time on the forum I wish to show the 813th TD. OK I know some may dispute this ID and say it is a tank bn post war period. The construction of the patch is pure WW2 and most likely made by the same manufacturer who made the merrow WW2 506th Airborne patch. The 813th TD is listed in the "Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register. There is no 813th Tank Bn listed. This shows it served inArdennes-Alsace,Central Europe,Normandy,Northern France,Rhineland,Rome-Arno and Tunisia. I have only been aware of only three in collections. I have to reduce the scans,will finish post tonite. Thanks Mort

Thanks for the comment. Have no clue where it was worn; but it is ultra rare. Had shown to Scotty and Dave K and Dave Johnson at SOS and ASMIC.Believe it or not Scotty had never seen it and he has seen it all. Just another thing to add to your want lists. Mort

Thanks for the comment. Have no clue where it was worn; but it is ultra rare. Had shown to Scotty and Dave K and Dave Johnson at SOS and ASMIC.Believe it or not Scotty had never seen it and he has seen it all. Just another thing to add to your want lists. Mort

You mean my FANTASY list. LOL!

• 1 month later...

This is my first time and I hope the attached photos show up properly. Today while working on my revised Pictorial guide to Anti-Tank and Tank Destroyer memorabilia, I noticed a similarity in one of the fake or reproduction patches and one that is being sold as a rare theater made WWII patch on Ebay (231166402444). the one on Ebay is dirty looking while the one in my guide is new. The new patch was listed in Feb on Ebay as a hand made reproduction. What do you think?

post-982-0-53014700-1393891484.gif

post-982-0-28900800-1393891880.gif

firefighter

Looks close but I don't think they are the same.If you look at the one on the right there is a gear on the jaw line.The one on the left, eBay, there is none.

This is my first time and I hope the attached photos show up properly. Today while working on my revised Pictorial guide to Anti-Tank and Tank Destroyer memorabilia, I noticed a similarity in one of the fake or reproduction patches and one that is being sold as a rare theater made WWII patch on Ebay (231166402444). the one on Ebay is dirty looking while the one in my guide is new. The new patch was listed in Feb on Ebay as a hand made reproduction. What do you think?

My thoughts are here. Fake.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/203066-real-or-fake-tank-destroyer-patch/

firefighter

I agree fake.I thought we were trying to figure out if they are the same patch that somebody dirtied up to look older.

ocsfollowme

With the patch posted concerning the possible fake, this is my two cents. I overlayed the photos over each other. The angles that the scan and photo were take are slightly off, so I did two overlays with one being match with the bottom and the other being matched to the top.

My anaylsis:

1. If you save the photo from ebay, you can really zoom in. There is dirt on every edge. As a theatre made piece after the war, I doubt that it would be this dirty. With so much along each of the edges. It looks like a tooth brush was used so it left build up of a wax or oil along the edges. The threads are beat up a bit more in the open areas and not consistent throughout. To me, this is the biggest tip off as being a doctored up patch.

2. The one being sold now is a bit smaller than the "repro" one and could have shrunk a bit, more around the mouth of the cat-during a process to age it. I couldn't get the entire thing to match up from head to mouth.

3. Whiskers could move from tooth brush. Not a big deal

4. There are some discreptancies: the eye balls are different (but if it was pressed down, matted, could account for this), on the one being sold, there are 12 tracks on the left and 13 on the reproduction, unibrow on the one being sold but a definite space on the reproduction (but if it was pressed down, matted, could account for this)

Below: matched (overlayed) with top of head. Blue line shows discreptancies

189951_orig.jpg

below: matched with mouth. Blue lines show discreptancies

9537203_orig.jpg

Looks close but I don't think they are the same.If you look at the one on the right there is a gear on the jaw line.The one on the left, eBay, there is none.

Right. There are several discrepancies between the two. Particularly in the treads. A few in the whiskers.

• 5 months later...