Tank Destroyer SSI and Insignia

Jim Baker

After being assured by the owner of a small junk shop in Alamosa, CO several years ago that she didn't have any military things, I still asked if I could look around. This small lot was found mixed in with some ARC buttons, pins and patches in a small wooden box. There were also some T4 chevrons, but too moth eaten to worry about.

Gary

post-84-1169358919.jpg

post-84-1169358999.jpg

Here is another 4-wheel with a different lightning bolt pattern. The reason I point this patch out is because it appears to be unfinished? Notice the absence of the bottom jaw and vertical embroidery to the tank that would match the panther. If you look at the reverse, it certainly looks like the embroidery is finished, especially where the bottom jaw is supposed to be, so I'm still undecided on this one? Incomplete or variation?

Gary

Gary,

To me it looks like they put the bottom teeth too low when comparing to the other types.

Sure interesting.

You find them with a lot of variations; like two gun barrels, the barrel on the other side, no lightening bolt, white eyes, etc.

It's interesting seeing how many variations there are of one type of patch.

@Jim: I also hope some day a 6 wheeler will ..... eh roll my way. thumbsup.gif

Erwin

TDcollar.jpg

TDcollardiscbackside.jpg

One set of TD collar discs (the other set is on my Ike jacket).

Erwin

Erwin,

Oh no! Another variation!! Your TD disc has a zinc pin plate and mine has a brass pin plate. Collecting variations is never ending and probably classified as an illness?

Gary

Gents,

Here is a Tank Destroyer patch that was worn by Col. Harry Wheaton while he was commander of the 11th Constabulary in occupied Bavaria.

Enjoy. thumbsup.gif

Constab_Col_right_shoulder.JPG

Garth Thompson
Just a quick question, has anyone ACTUALLY seen a 6 wheel TD patch??

Here is the one in my collection.

Garth

post-83-1169597434.jpg

Hi Jim Baker, when you say the prices are ridiculas, what sort of money are they fetching on Epay, Cheers ( Lewis )

$450-$500 on eBay for this variant.

post-78-1169612246.jpg

Here ya go, Jim!

This one is also a screwback. I can get a better pic if you need one.

Steve

post-9-1169533047.jpg

Steve,

Check this out. Looks like your pin may have been a one off. Maybe made by a GI for "something unique". Just ran across this on eBay.

post-78-1169823055.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last of the TD's to show a real 802 which Dave Kaufman can tell you about how to differreniate from the fakes; and the uncommon 628th TD pocket patchpost-565-1171145780.jpg

post-5589-0-14192600-1402498195.jpg

Documents, 4 "star wheeler" TD patch, photos from a member of the 602nd Tank Destroyer Battalion.
In a 1939-dated German booklet, he wrote names of fellow sldiers, buddies and even noted down a TD knocked out by an AT-mine killing the crew.

Erwin

Is the photo identified?

Very nice instructor patch.

How much do they go these days?

Erwin

Thanks for the nice comment. The photo ,immunization register and program of the graduating class number 29 officer candidate school are all named to George J. Ennis. He was in the recon company of the 772nd tank destroyers at one time.

As far as the instructor patch goes I know of only one other and that is also in the hands of a member of ASMIC. The value is really unknown because you just do not see these coming to sale. Again thanks for the nice comments . Mort

When collecting tank destroyer cloth insignia do't forget the cloth DI's this goes also for tanks bn too. Two nice examples are the 612TD and 827TKpost-565-1171208400.jpg

Keep those "one more things" coming, you sure have some interesting patches in your collection. thumbsup.gif

First time I heard of cloth DIs. w00t.gif

Like Jm, I'll be on the look out for an instructor patch too.

Do you know of this patch being reproduced?

Recently, I was lucky to obtain another "star wheeler" TD patch (and a mint greenback 3rd Armored patch).

I'll post pictures soon.

Anyway, Mort, again this is a very interesting collection you have there. thumbsup.gif

I just hope our little collections make it interesting for you too. :)

Erwin

Hi Erwin,

Luck has it that they are not being reproduced. The patch was actually unknown to most advanced collector until it appeared in the ASMIC Trading Post in an article dealing with Tank Destroyer insignia. As I mentioned I only know of two in collections and most dealers at the ASMIC national convention had never even seen one;so they are two say the least very rare. I like sharing information but worry about the possibilty of some one making copies. We try to alter the colors and size and do not show the back in an effort prevent reproductions. I have been collecting easily 50 plus years and not a day goes by that I research all kinds of sites to see what is going on;even with this unless you good to shows and keep you eyes and ears open you can miss out on some great information and great deals. Keep looking you never know! Mort

General Apathy

post-344-1171365812.jpg

Hi Everyone on this Tank-Destroyer posting, These are four enlistedmens collar insignia I own, they were made in Birmingham, England, the half-track in the top right corner has started to loose it's gold gilt covering due to wear, all four are marked the same on the rear. Cheers ( Lewis )

@Mort: Well, I can't blame you for doing that, there is already enough repro on the market being sold off as original. No use putting new "fuel on that fire".
You sure have got some very interesting items, both TD-related and otherwise.

@Lewis: Very nice collar discs, even there one has some variations.

Here is a small display of mine of Armored and Tank Destroyer stuff.
The "Tanker" patch is a genuine one in mint condition.
The officer collar insignia come from a Veteran in the 802nd TD Bn.
The patch, Staff Sergeant stripes and Armored collar disc from my best friend who was in the 704th TD Bn (although I need to point out that the SSgt stripes are not his). Eventhough TD, Harry wore the Armored collar disc on his Ike jacket ... he was transferred from the Cavalry (!). But I believe he just added that disc himself somewhere in 1945.
The DIs are of the 704th TD Bn as well (found them about 15 years ago).

post-5589-0-08406700-1402498224.jpg

Sorry for the not so fine picture, I'm no professional photographer.

Erwin

vintageproductions
tdprop1.JPGtdprop2.JPGHere are a couple we have, right now. This first one is no doubt WWII construction, but the only thing we can figure out is that is is a proto-type patch for the tank destroyer forces.Possibly an embroidery company was told that this patch design would have a tank and a panthers head, and they jumped the gun and made it before the actual sketches came in.