Airborne Weapons Jump Bag Vintage??

Fly USMC

I assume that these were rigger made, but was there a standard pattern that was used? is there anyway to Id the ERA on these/ The Large "B" with teh rocker underneath is how the guy that I obtained this from marked his gear. (He even enscribed it on his knives and on the back of 1911 45 magazines). He was a Vietnam era Marine, but was some wnat of a survivalist so he collected all kinds of gear from the 1960s through the 80s or early 1990s. i also obtained a bunch of WWII era field gear from him (Actually his wife).

I would appreciate any opinions on this bag (era, used by, value, etc). Thanks,

John

post-5056-1254631877.jpg

post-5056-1254631887.jpg

post-5056-1254631896.jpg

post-5056-1254631906.jpg

post-5056-1254631918.jpg

post-5056-1254631927.jpg

Johan Willaert

It's not rigger made, but a regular issue late WW2 pattern Holster, Assembly, Parachutist's Rifle designed to carry the M1 Rifle during a jump.

It's generally known as a Griswold Bag

It's not rigger made, but a regular issue late WW2 pattern Holster, Assembly, Parachutist's Rifle designed to carry the M1 Rifle during a jump.

It's generally known as a Griswold Bag

Thanks for the info. I did a little searching on the internet with that info, and there is at least one company making reproductions. Does any one know if this one is original or not? Here is a close up picture of the zipper (Marked Talon). What else should I be looking at?

Thanks,

John

post-5056-1254668268.jpg

The number is a PART number and should include the year of the contract under which it was made -- like "44". This was a USAAF supply item and the air force regarded it as a "part". They also called it a "Holster Assembly". It was named after a LT at Benning who dreamed it up in 1942. IIRC he later became an Army aviator, was a helicopter pilot in Korea and KIA there.