USAAF and NAF pilot survival gear

robinb

This incredible collection of WW2 USAAF and NAF pilot survival and bail out gear is on loan to my museum by former Forum member Dustin. It's about as complete a display as can be seen. There isn't much that he is missing, and I'm proud to be the caretaker of it for the time being.

MVC_127S.JPG

MVC_128S.JPG

Charlie Flick

Robin:

That is a spectacular addition to an already impressive display at your museum. Dustin is a very knowledgeable collector and researcher on this subject and you are fortunate to have the opportunity to incorporate the display in the museum. High marks to Dustin for his generosity in sharing his outstanding collection with you, and by extension through the museum, to others.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Dustin is a surivval stuff guru!!! He always help me when I have some difficult question! Great display and great USN survival stuff!! Thanks for photos Robin!

Regards,

JK

p.s. I think Dustin should wirte some book abou USN and AAF survival stuff from ww2!

Jerry_k, I for one am REALLY into this kind of gear, but it is really getting hard to find in any kind of condition. As far as the collection shown, OMG does Dustin have some primo gear or what!!! I would like to see him back on this forum.

Bob

Robin

Was that material collected piece by piece bit by bit, or did it somehow find its way to the surface all at once all together?

If anyone knows...

Jerry_k, I for one am REALLY into this kind of gear, but it is really getting hard to find in any kind of condition. As far as the collection shown, OMG does Dustin have some primo gear or what!!! I would like to see him back on this forum.

Bob

Thanks for repley Bob.. Im also try to be into this stuff especially USN but You have right: some items are really rare and hard to find...

I hope Dustin come back on forum in the future!!!

Regards,

JK

• 2 weeks later...
I think there aren't too many enthusiasts of this equipment here:(

Yes, it's a shame that there is more interest in a M1910 shovel cover than in this collection of pilot gear. It took Dustin YEARS to put this display together.

Yes, it's a shame that there is more interest in a M1910 shovel cover than in this collection of pilot gear. It took Dustin YEARS to put this display together.

I agree with You in 1000%:(

I wouldn't assume there is no interest in this topic. As of this afternoon there are 276 views of this topic. If anything these items probably appeal to more advanced collectors who are less inclined to leave "nice stuff" type comments.

You have an overwhelming amount of equipment displayed here. If you would like to generate additional discussion, you might do some posts on the individual kits, their contents, dates used and on what aircraft.

This is a very impressive collection just on its own.

Dustin has been watching the responces, and has asked me to add this comment:

Due to the limited display area not all could be displayed, this is probably only about 60%.The idea is to give a good overview of the type of equipment utilized from 1941-1945.The navy section is on the left and pictured is a 1942 contract second generation one man parachute type raft which includes:

5 unit first aid kit for pneumatic life rafts

repair kit

round sea marker

round drinking water

paddles

other items include bailing cup,sea anchor,oral inlfation tube in container,the raft is properly folded for packing.The first geration did not inlcude first aid kit but included a pump which was replaced by an oral inflation tube.The AN series rafts include the M-524 (naval aeronautical specification) AN-R-2, AN-R2A and AN-R-2B.The raft pictured in navy section is marked M-524 SEAT PACK navy contracted.Originally this kit was intended for use with the seat type parachute but later adapted to intagrate for all types by utilizing a life raft container in late 1944.Pictured at the edge are the next two generations the Model A ,which is an interim/temporary container unitl the Pk-1 became available and delivered empty to supply points in january 1945 then assembled by the depot using components from the AN series rafts and M-592 back pad kit.Next to it is the PK-1 with deliveries being made by early may 1945.In both the Pk-1 and Model A kits there are two seperate compartments one for equipment and one for the raft which was intended to illiminate the use of the M-592 and to be supplemented by the pilots personal equipment which is pictured on life preserver.The term "pilots personal equipment" is a bit misleading this equipment was also issued to aircrew as well.At the beginning of the war for the US there really was no compliment of personal equipment other than a life preserver,side arm and sheath/hunting knife.The list grew as the war progressed starting with the life jacket dye marker adopted in late 1942 eventually accumilating to:

1 life vest

2 dye markers

1 side arm w/ shoulder holster

1 wrist compass

1 waterproof light

1 headnet

1 fishing kit

1 jiant jackknife

1 whistle

1 first aid kit

2 distress signals (MK-1 MOD-0 or 1)

with an extra additon of the shark chaser

by early 1945 all items were either considered as optional or standard at periodic dates throughout the war.The idea was to reduce bulk carried by individuals but still have the compliment of emergency equipment needed for land and sea survival.If you are familiar witht the contents of the PK-1 with pilots personal equipment and compare the contents of the M-592 and AN- series rafts the are very similar only in reduced or streamlined dimensions.

The M-592 back pad kit pictured is one of two contracts awarded in 1944 with amendments.The one pictured up right is from the other company also awarded in 1944.The M-592 was adopted in 1943 with deliveries being made to supply points in november 1943.The kits being delivered at that time were from two contracts by the same two companies awarded in 1944.The 1943 versions differ slightly from the 1944 contracts primarily with the preservitive, the early contracts inlcuded a can of oil and the 1944 types inlcude a tube of kant-rust as specified in amendment along with some other slight changes also both companies changed the look of the kits so giving the collectors four variations.The design of the only standard back pad kit for the BuAer was intended for use inconjunction with the AN seat pack raft due to the compact nature of the raft it could not house the compliment of emergency equipment.The M-592 was the finilized type following two other models those being an experimental type introduced in 1942 and an interim type that was delivered in april 1943 until the M-592 became available.These items were considered squadron equipment and actually issued to the aircraft and not the individual.

On the right is the USAAF section.The raft kit pictured is the AN-R-2A AAC contracted included are the updated items which include the rectangular sea marker and water can and 6 unit first aid kit.Below are some examples of personal aids kits E-17,E-3,E-3a (early and later model).Pilots personal equipment for the USAAC were not as indepth as the navy but some primary components incude dye marker cemented between bladders, light and the army version of the shark chaser that is intended to be cemented between bladders.Also pictured are two USAAF procured survival type sheath knives Camillus and a marbles.Pictured on stand is C-1 vest second pattern.Pictured at bottom are some examples of parachute emergency kits from left to right B-1 alaskan,B-2 jungle,B-4 universal,F-1 sustenance and the B-5 seat pack.Not pictured is the 1939 jungle type that inlcudes collins NO.18 machete.The B-5 was an experimental model developed for use with the C-1 vest it inlcudes instruction booklet, quilted poncho with detachable hood and a pair of wool ski socks this was to make the C-1 vest more arctic friendly.This kit was purchased in original box and unopened.The ultimtae idea was the individual would done the back type parachute,C-1 vest,C-2 raft,life preserver and B-5 kit.Only 500 B-5's were procured for field test purposes and never adopted maybe making this example one of a kind.

Most individual/componet items could be discussed indepth,every one has a development history some more complicated than others such as the one man parachute type raft and will use alot of bandwidth talking about each and everything pictured here.All kits are packed and displayed as specified in period catalogs,bulletins,circular letters,correspondences to and from government and civilian contractors,techinical orders,technical notes,naval aeronatuical and army specifications,field test/laboratory reports, and various other documents.

• 5 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dust. Great display and wanted to give my 'kudos' out on this survival collection. I've always had interest in this stuff, just never the time or funds to go down this route.

An update: Our friend Dustin in now an active and valued member of the Forum again.

Regards,

Charlie

He sure is and a true asset to the USMF. Dustin has posted an invaluable amount of survival-related knowledge with us over the years and I always look forward to reading anything new he shares with us. :)

• 2 months later...