Is this Hat for Real, or Junk? All Opinions Welcome.

reuscher

Hi all,

A bad week for me - nothing but this hat. It looked interesting so I decided to take it in hopes of learning something. What's your opinon - legit US military hat, fantasy piece, boy scouts, movie prop, costume, pop culture put together?????? The only things I have to add is that the hat itself looks much older that the cording and the brim has been permanently turned up - a practice I've seen evidence of in some Vietnam era pictures. Any thoughts at all would be welcome.

post-772-1254599852.jpg

post-772-1254599862.jpg

post-772-1254599880.jpg

Has the shape of some state police hats I've seen, though they were generally gray or blue in color. Just a possibility.

Tom

Old Paratrooper

It is an old drill instructors had that someone made into a cowboy hat that brand was sold in surplus stores in the 70's mine was just like it. they just wet it reshape the top bend upthe sides

Old Para

el taco grande
I do not think that it belonged to Slim Pickins.

My class is doing an assignment, and I was at my desk reading this, and I literally laughed out loud. Thanks for the laugh!

:hapy0004:

I do not think that it belonged to Slim Pickins.

I don't know, it's very similar to the one worn by Major "King" Kong in Dr. Strangelove! :lol:

post-203-1254762864.jpg

Yeah sticker shock. $2....thrift store 2 bucks.I see many thrift stores use this type paper for marking items.a DAV store i was in even pins the price to the clothing

RD

shrapneldude
Yeah sticker shock. $2....thrift store 2 bucks.I see many thrift stores use this type paper for marking items.a DAV store i was in even pins the price to the clothing

RD

Staples at the DAV store here. Many times I've spent close to an hour de-stapling paper tags from stuff I've gotten there. Better than goodwill though...those have a tendency to use marker or grease pencil and write the price right on the item. Had a few helmets like that and couldn't get the writing off.

Staples at the DAV store here. Many times I've spent close to an hour de-stapling paper tags from stuff I've gotten there. Better than goodwill though...those have a tendency to use marker or grease pencil and write the price right on the item. Had a few helmets like that and couldn't get the writing off.

Try alcohol (for cleaning, not for drinking. Then again, drink enough and you won't care what your helmets look like!)

During my time in the service we did everything with grease pencils on plastic overlays. Of course, as you update your chart and keep adding to it, you eventually ended up with a layer of grease that would not come off. But alcohol as I recall was what we used to get things as clean as possible.

The best thing about transferring to Germany was the availability of alcohol based pens. Much easier to clean up. But as a staff officer, one of the things that was always in my kit was a full bottle of clear alcohol and a bag of cotton swabs!

It's lovely when the you find a nice service cap and they pound those staples right through the visor. For the thrift stores here its like clockwork - always the extra thick staples too. Would never occur to them to put it through the sweatband.

I forgot to ask - the cording - was not military but police - right?

Hey for $2.00 it was well worth the laughs - hat's been nuked!!!

post-772-1254883474.jpg

:lol: