Storing small items in plastic tackle containers.

ww2_1943

Hi gang,

I have been using compartmentalized fishing tackle containers for holding small items such as brass, matchbooks, ribbons, etc. I know that certain types of plastic are bad for preservation. The containers stored in complete darkness. Do you think that using these containers is a bad idea?

Thanks

As storing things in plastic, I think the concern is chemical interaction.

Someone more expert that myself can chime in on this one. With "hard" objects such as you are describing, I can't see where there would be a problem.

Something where you have a liquid that might ooze out of its original tube or container, there you might run into a problem if it bonded with the plastic.

Thanks for the replies so far.

The company that makes the containers is Plano. I just remembered that.

I was worried that the plastic might give off some type of fumes/gas that could tarnish brass or affect paper or textiles. I would say 20 years of use is one good indicator that using the containers is okay :)

"I would say 20 years of use is one good indicator that using the containers is okay "

Of course, what I put in them is mostly junk (ribbon bars, clutches, odd brass, etc) and it hasn't gotten better over the 20 years either.

Plastics can cause problems due to the off gassing that happens (you know the new car smell...that is an example of off gassing). It has the potential of causing damage (changing colors on paper material, making some items become brittle, etc). The best way to prevent something from happening is simple observation. Get your stuff out once every few months and look it over. If you notice anything changing color, etc. then change the box. If not, keep it there. I have seen plastic boxes hold stuff for years with no problem and I have seen plastic boxes damage items within a few months. Like I stated earlier...oberservation is the best prevention.

Steve

By the way, I have some of my collection in plastic boxes and have had zero problems.

I collect antique and vintage cameras and accessories as well as militaria. I discovered that over time, the leather items (Camera) started growing mildew due to the fact that the plastic containers don't breathe like cardboard. Non-leather items have fared well however. The temp was steady throughout, but the small bit of moisture in the bin was enough since it was not able to circulate air as well as other storage materials.