PRC-25 With Carrier and Antenna bag

USARV72

post-6975-1254577393.jpg post-6975-1254577424.jpg

post-6975-1254577456.jpg post-6975-1254577502.jpg

PRC-25 with carrier ST 138 and Antenna bag. Flex "Rubber Duck" antenna installed, sectional long antenna and extra handset and other accessories in bag. Radio is USMC marked on data plate and it works.

Carrier is kind of strange with the Khaki straps, MFG must of had some WWII webbing left over and used it during the Vietnam era.

Dave

Edit: Re-arranged the pictures for better visibility

:w00t: WHOOOOOA :w00t:

"Slightly" nice find there, Dave!! :thumbsup: It seems that Marine contract web gear made up after W.W.II was very often constructed out of dark/light materials; the other Branches' canvas goods were pretty much all dark O.D..

Nice radio; this old signal corps guys still thinks we need a seperate military electronics section to show our radios and such.

Tony J.

Jim,

Think this carrier was 60's MFG, thought kind of late for Khaki webbing. Sadly the carrier is not USMC marked just the radio, had a bunch of these carriers years ago.................In Vietnam many PRC-25's were carried in a Lightweight Rucksack so the RTO would not get shot.

Cherokee,

Thanks, down to just a couple of radios now, think I have an extra PRC-6 left. Remember back in the 80's bought a pallet of PRC-10's at surplus auction. Out of 30 only 2-3 didn't work!.Those were the good old days :rolleyes:

Jim,

Think this carrier was 60's MFG, thought kind of late for Khaki webbing. Sadly the carrier is not USMC marked just the radio, had a bunch of these carriers years ago.................In Vietnam many PRC-25's were carried in a Lightweight Rucksack so the RTO would not get shot.

Cherokee,

Thanks, down to just a couple of radios now, think I have an extra PRC-6 left. Remember back in the 80's bought a pallet of PRC-10's at surplus auction. Out of 30 only 2-3 didn't work!.Those were the good old days :rolleyes:

I have a couple of PR-10s, got a couple of batteries from Fair radio one time, I think that were French, and the PR-10 worked pretty good but now they are just for display cause no more batteries to be found. I too remember when you could find radios for next to nothing cause none wanted them.

Tony J.

post-6975-1254655842.jpgpost-6975-1254655878.jpg

Hello Tony,

This showed up at a show this spring, had only heard about them.......................

Always wanted a pair of those for a WWII display but everone that I came across were always too much money.

Thanks guys,

SCR 721 is the "BC-611" developed for use in Gliders, notice the sliding door near the PTT button. While airborne Co-pilot or other could plug the gliders antenna into the SCR-721 and talk to other gliders or troops on the ground!

Was Pure Luck in picking it up.

Oh, my bad on the PRC 10.....is a PRT.... used to "PRC's" :D ....to many shows......

Dave

Dave, I have this WWII TBY-8 like the Marine Navahoes used, still looking for a headset/mic for it.
Tony J

post-9906-0-50044400-1402959586.jpg

Tony,
Have a pic or scan of headset and mic?
Thanks,
Dave

Tony,

Have a pic or scan of headset and mic?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,I don't have a photo myself but Ive seen some photos on the web of them in use and it looks like a headset and mic are made together that fits in one of the five point plugs on the radio. A telegraph key fits in the other plug.

Tj

When I was a young PFC at Fort Polk, I had one RT-505 (PRC-25) that I had constant trouble with... this was 20 years ago and I STILL remember the serial number to that RT.... 29392C. You would turn it on and let it warm up and with known good antennas the transmission would be choppy, catching like every third word or so... So I hooked it up to the PRM-34 test set (a frequency and signal strength tester) and turned it to the frequency side and lo and behold, the frequency went up and down kinda like a sine wave... It was a constant up and down, only actually transmitting on the intended frequency as it passed through it on the way up or down the scale. I hated that radio... and finally got rid of it when the Special Forces requested a bunch of sets and we were ordered to make available two full kits. 29392C was the first one to go!

Wayne

Frequency hopping on its own? That radio would have been "left" in front of a tracked vehicle........dag gone forgot the radio! :D:D

I got so frustrated with that radio... I'd turn it in to Battalion maint, and they would send it back, "Unable to Duplicate"... until I took it up to the Battalion shop and put it on their test bench and hooked up the PRM-34 and showed them. They finally send it to Three shop, and they send it back, "Unable to Duplicate." I was so glad when I sent it away. I was waiting for the SF guys to send it back so I could send it back to them with the message...

Unable to Duplicate... :hapy0004:

Wayne

• 2 years later...
While airborne Co-pilot or other could plug the gliders antenna into the SCR-721 and talk to other gliders or troops on the ground!

Yes, but in the ZI only during tactical exercise far from combat realities.

Glider combat operations took place under radio silence restrictions, where SCR-721 was completely useless. The USAAF glider pilot -- without radio communication -- knew nothing about updated weather report over LZ with wind direction to land (relatively) safely and also knew nothing about QNH pressure to adjust his altimeter and to try to avoid collision with the ground at night. Speaking to troops on the ground was nothing compared to lack of fundamental data for safe landing. Only the contact with highly professional pathfinder (trained to be glider pathfinder) or a kind of FAC (according to today's terminology) could be useful then for a glider pilot having SCR-721 at his disposal.

Regards

Gregory