The Evolution of the 1926 Army EM's coat

GIl Sanow

• 10 years later...

I have a question about the M26 Spec 8-31A-D.

I have run across several 8-31’s without button holes on the “rolled lapel”. Further, I have run across 8-31s with button holes only on the upper “rolled lapel”. Finally, I have run across 8-31s with button holes in both the upper and lower “rolled lapel”.

right now I have a 1st Filipino Infantry Regt tunic dated 1936 without any button holes on the lapel. This would be a M1926 Spec 8-31B. I also have an 11th Cavalry that has all 4 button holes dated 1935. This would be a M1926 Spec 8-31B too. Both tunics have PQMD tags. 

Did the PQMD stop putting button holes in the “rolled lapels” after a certain date?

could someone please help?

4 hours ago, Vneal487 said:

I have a question about the M26 Spec 8-31A-D.

I have run across several 8-31’s without button holes on the “rolled lapel”. Further, I have run across 8-31s with button holes only on the upper “rolled lapel”. Finally, I have run across 8-31s with button holes in both the upper and lower “rolled lapel”.

right now I have a 1st Filipino Infantry Regt tunic dated 1936 without any button holes on the lapel. This would be a M1926 Spec 8-31B. I also have an 11th Cavalry that has all 4 button holes dated 1935. This would be a M1926 Spec 8-31B too. Both tunics have PQMD tags. 

Did the PQMD stop putting button holes in the “rolled lapels” after a certain date?

could someone please help?

Maybe the presence or lack of the grommets were a manufacturer variant, some manufactures of the coat back then did it, some didn't, with the ones that did, some used metal grommets while some used thread to reinforce the hole?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
eaglerunner88

Slightly related question: Many pre-war portraits of G.I.s in the M26 uniform are wearing what look to be white dress shirts rather than wool. Does anybody know if the "white shirt" had a contract/spec or were they simply civilian dress shirts? Anyone have one in a collection to show details? Thanks

8 hours ago, eaglerunner88 said:

Slightly related question: Many pre-war portraits of G.I.s in the M26 uniform are wearing what look to be white dress shirts rather than wool. Does anybody know if the "white shirt" had a contract/spec or were they simply civilian dress shirts? Anyone have one in a collection to show details? Thanks

Didn't you ask this question in another topic related to this? if so I remember it was a good question that even I would like to know.

eaglerunner88
2 hours ago, patches said:

Didn't you ask this question in another topic related to this? if so I remember it was a good question that even I would like to know.

Yes, and still trying to get to the bottom of it!

• 1 month later...
eaglerunner88

If I recall there were matching breeches for the m1926 jacket from the quartermaster depot, made of the same material, correct? As in this interwar photo where puttees are worn along with the type 1 service shoes.

M26.jpg.2bb57ca31c843e99d8cf9ad0a4f4adfe.jpg