New UAS wings design w/pics

DutchInfid3l

DutchInfid3l

Wow, what an honor. I enjoy reading his comics online, the RAF Mildenhall website and in the AF times. But this is truely special.

Airman sketches his way into Air Force history with UAS wings design

by Tech. Sgt. Amaani Lyle

Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs

9/29/2009 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- A toddler's first artistic expressions often surface in the form of well-intended wall defacement or notepad squiggles -- but every now and then, a doodle becomes a hobby, and that hobby becomes a part of history.

Staff Sgt. Austin May, a public affairs craftsman from the 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England, found himself in that position when Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz approved the design of a new set of wings to be worn by future unmanned aircraft system pilots who have not attended undergraduate pilot training.

The first sets of wings were presented to the graduates of the first Beta class of such candidates during a ceremony at Creech Air Force Base, Nev., Sept. 25. A second Beta class is under way and is currently scheduled to graduate April 2010.

Sergeant May, a Katy, Texas, native, is no stranger to having his work highlighted across the Air Force. His popular "Air Force Blues" comic strip chronicling the life of an Alaska-based pilot has been published online since 2007. The cartoon was inspired from his own experience as an Airborne Warning and Control System surveillance operator at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.

It was "Air Force Blues" that got the attention of leaders in Headquarters Air Force Air, Space and Information Operations Directorate, or A3. A3 officials in the Pentagon reached out to encourage Sergeant May to submit a design for an occupational badge for the Air Force's proposed UAS pilot career field.

"When I was initially contacted about submitting a design for the wings, I thought it was awesome," Sergeant May said. "What a thrilling opportunity! The idea of just being a part of that, even if nothing I did was ever seen by anyone, was incredible."

It quickly became apparent that the A3 officials had recruited wisely.

"Sergeant May just jumped in -- he was on board before he even knew what he was getting into or what we were looking for," said Maj. Jeffrey Kwoka, UAS career field manager. "He just knew he was going to be designing a new set of wings for UAS and he was all over it.

Sergeant May's artistic knack would prove to give him a leg up as A3 officials sifted through some 60 designs before submitting the final three to Air Force senior leadership for approval. Sergeant May created at least a third of the initial contenders and all three of the final designs were his.

Developing a simple, recognizable design to represent such a technologically advanced program was no easy feat, said. Col. Trey Turner, A3 operational training division chief.

"We bounced ideas back and forth in terms of what the design should represent," Colonel Turner said. "In addition to being recognizable in embroidery, the design had to be airborne-oriented and had to incorporate our intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities such as global reach, strike capability and data links."

From England, Sergeant May weathered the eight-month brainstorm, patiently sending design tweaks in sketches produced on his home computer, based on the suggestions of A3 leaders and pilots.

"I explained the use of certain elements, why I placed them in particular configurations and made adjustments as necessary," Sergeant May said. "Almost every variation included the same elements, such as the globe, light and lightning, because, in my opinion, those represent significant aspects of the UAS program."

Although A3 officials and pilots opted early on for an aviation-themed design, the wing style underwent great debate and several iterations.

"In one of our discussions, we decided to include the same wings worn by other flyers because, in the end, the planes these folks are flying are real nuts and bolts in the air," Sergeant May said. "The pilot may not be inside the plane, but it is a real airplane in real airspace, subject to the laws and principles of flight, and the wings represent that."

Major Kwoka said A3 officials wanted to be able designate UAS pilots with their own distinct set of wings, while tying the design to the Air Force's history of aviation.

The major added that A3 leaders and pilots even considered a more futuristic wing approach with the more traditional shield in the middle, before finally settling on an homage to the 1919 design, reminiscent of the original military aviator badges awarded to then-Lt. Henry "Hap" Arnold, who later became a five-star general in both the Army and the Air Force during World War II.

Though inspired by history, the design hearkens to the Air Force's futuristic capabilities, Sergeant May said.

"The globe represents the world in which Airmen live and operate ... the rays of light symbolize both a new dawn in air power and the UAS ability to operate in and see parts of the world opposite from their location," Sergeant May explained. He added the lightning bolt represents the electronic aspect of today's warfare and the system's strike capability.

"UAS is an emerging technology that holds almost unlimited potential and every day we see a little more of that," Sergeant May said.

That potential has translated into high-demand for these assets. To keep up, Air Force officials are currently refining aeronautical training programs for operation of these remotely-flown vehicles.

Whatever the future holds for UAS, Sergeant May stands ready to see the results of his efforts and even contribute other designs as the Air Force calls upon him. Until then, his future grandchildren may be treated to quite a story.

"I'll never forget the last line in Major Kwoka's e-mail," Sergeant May recalled upon hearing his design was selected. "You are now part of Air Force history! Imagine being an enlisted guy and hearing that!"

UAS.jpg

Staff Sgt. Austin May designed an occupational badge, or wings, to be worn by future unmanned aircraft system pilots. Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz approved Sergeant May's design. The wings were presented to the graduates of the first Beta class during a ceremony at Creech Air Force Base, Nev., Sept. 25, 2009. Sergeant May is a public affairs craftsman from the 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England. (U.S. Air Force photo)

unmannedaircraftoperators.jpg

These wings, recently approved by Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz, are worn by unmanned aircraft operators who have not attended undergraduate pilot training. The wings were presented to the graduates of first Beta class during a ceremony at Creech Air Force Base, Nev., Sept. 25, 2009. The wings were designed by Staff Sgt. Austin May, a public affairs craftsman from the 100th Air Refueling Wing, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England. (Air Force graphic)

Actual story link here. Artist mentioned above's webpage and comic here.

Wow! Very interesting! Thanks for posting this. Now if we can just get Tiffany to make a few! :thumbsup:

As I understand it, the UAS operators don't have to be airborne to operate their vehicle. I wonder how the aviators who actually have to leave the ground to earn their wings feel about these? I can't think of another set of wings that is authorized to a person who never leaves the ground. Flight surgeons are required to get a certain number of hours in the air and those are the only wing-wearing folks that I can think of who may spend most of their time on the ground.

DutchInfid3l

I understand they are flying a R/C aircraft and all but there's just a different taste in my mouth when I see they actually have wings, an occupational badge, sure... but wings, I dunno.

Ah, well. I still think it would be pretty damn cool to be able to have a design that you made be a part of the USAF and have collectors wanting to acquire it as well later down the line.

Alternative design by USMF member "pfrost", not selected by USAF:

I was robbed! The flying joystick with the Xbox 360-qualification star would have been a great badge.

Patrick